AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 09:19:50 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: J. Vernon McGee  (Read 12039 times)
AaronC

Email
« on: February 06, 2003, 05:50:08 am »

Smiley Smiley(West Texas Accent) Howdy Friends--

I have never heard a preacher that turned his listeners' attentions to Christ like Dr. J. Vernon McGee.  I have heard GG say that GG was his favorite student.  YA RIGHT!

McGee's on the radio all over (though with the Lord now).
TTb.org is his website.  The following should be a link that shows you where his radio sermons can be heard.

http://cf.web-light.net/ttb/listing.cfm

"May the Lord richly bless you, my beloved."

Aaron Cantrell

Rudy

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2003, 06:18:34 am »

Thanx Aaron.

My Scottish preacher's voice is good,
however I "cut my teeth" on JV McGee.
AaronC

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 03:23:27 am »

McGee used to say that a preacher's job is to find the shortest route from the verse to Christ.  

In SLO (and in the 20 or so seminars that I attended) it usually seemed about finding the most confusing way from a dozen verses to the assembly.  

My decade or so in the assembly made clear at this much:  God doesn't want His men to preach themselves...They which preach themselves are not God's men.

Aaron Cantrell

(Verne--I taped and bought many tapes...Not 5 years worth.  WOW!)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 01:52:37 am »

J. Vernon McGee was a great Bible teacher--and it was because of his simplicity and sincerity. He could take a few
verses and expound on them for an hour. I remember once
he was talking about athiests and said that the Atheist really wanted to get up on God's throne with him and say(In McGees southern drawl) "Look Gawd, Thars two of us now!" He could be serious and then be hysterically funny sometimes---I just love to hear him preach.

--Joe
4Him

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 08:46:17 am »

I have his ENTIRE five year "Through the Bible"(taped manually!) on tape. How ya like dem' apples?
Verne

Verne,
I tried to do that but the cares of life.... Don't know about apples but I am very jealous.   Grin  Hey maybe when you visit sometime you could bring them w/you and we could sit down and listen to all of them.  Or not.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: