AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 03:20:43 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Womens' Role in the Church  (Read 51718 times)
M2
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2004, 06:08:18 pm »

Do tell Marcia, what is the other extreme?
d

Women can be just as 'abusive' as men re. twisting the Scriptures to support their perspective.  In our assembly involvement both of us have experienced some of that 'abusive' treatment from men and women.  In my case, I have even promoted GG's agenda by dishing out GG's twisted perspective to others.

The Lord Jesus Christ, on the other hand, refused to succumb to the 'traditions of the leaders', but only did the will of the Father.  His ministry was/is to the needy and the wounded.  Recently, I watched 'Patch Adams' starring Robin Williams.  Patch did not always help the patients according to the 'traditional' means of treatment.  He cared for the patients as persons and brought real help and healing to them.  In many(not all) ways, it was a good illustration of Christ's ministry of caring and compassion.

Lod bless,
Marcia
jloadams

Email
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2004, 10:18:22 pm »

Delila,
While it's true that men operating under that the Judeo-Christian tradition have not always treated women well, I think you must take a look at the world as a whole and how women are treated or viewed within most cultures before throwing in the towel.  
Throughout the world, cultures untouched by Christendom treat women as property. They are oft mistreated, even mutilated before being sold to a husband they've never met where the abuse becomes even worse.  The bride's in-laws often heap abuse on her if she does not please them.
I'm not talking about ancient cultures, I'm talking about right now, present day, throughout Africa, Asia, the Middle East, etc... Cry
God set out protections for women in the Old Testement that were unheard of before that time.  He also gave men huge responsibilities in the New Testament for the care and protection of their wives, widows in the church and the flock they oversaw.
While some obviously abuse or ignore these teachings, that is not the standard or the norm.  Most of us can say that we've been in and/or have finally found healthy churches where women are respected and their contibutions are welcomed.
I hope you will eventually find such a place as I believe you have a great deal to contribute.
With utmost respect for all you've been through and prayers for healing,
Janet
Oscar

Email
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2004, 12:00:28 am »

I am acquainted with a woman, an American citizen who was born in Mexico, who married a Jordanian Muslim.

His "religion" was not much of a problem since he only practices it nominally, and lets her attend church and raise the kids as Christians. (She got saved years after they married.)

She told me that about a year after they married they moved to Jordan for a few years.  When they arrived at her husband's family's house she went upstairs to take a shower.

As she showered the curtain was suddenly pulled open, and her mother in law, her aunts, (by marriage), and her sisters in law were all standing there.  They physically pulled her out of the shower and proceeded to examine her for signs of disease and for her potential as a son producer, (read brood mare).

Apparently she passed, as they have been married for over 20 years and have three kids, all girls, ha ha.   Grin

Now, I am not aware that Islam specifically teaches this practice.  But it definitely supports a culture where women are second class citizens.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Jerre

Email
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2004, 08:00:10 am »

Women are not forbidden from teaching per se. Were that the case, the men would be leading women's Bible studies and Titus Two meetings. Women can - and should - teach Sunday school, but not lead from the pulpit
Women don't have to be completely silent or completely under the thumb of a domineering pastor. There are times when women speaking up, so to say, are entirely appropriate and necessary; it depends on the issue. Seems to me that this passage bears similarities to the roles in a healthy, godly marriage. As we pray daily for our husbands, we should be praying for our church leaders as well. God has specific roles for us as women (check out Titus Two) and we must obey them, but we don't have to take some of these verses to the extreme (such as how to dress).

I'd get a good commentary on I Timothy or other books to get more out of these verses, to supplement the comments made here. I'd also check out books by Elizabeth George - specifically, "Beautiful in God's Eyes" and "A Woman After God's Own Heart". I'm a bit biased since Liz is a personal friend and former Sunday school teacher of mine, but I cannot say enough of how much my walk with the Lord as a woman has been impacted by her writing.

Hope this helps,

Jerre

I don't remember if these verses were discussed yet.  Any comments:

1TI 2:8 Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.
1TI 2:9 Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments;
1TI 2:10 but rather by means of good works, as befits women making a claim to godliness.
1TI 2:11 Let a woman quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness.
1TI 2:12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
1TI 2:13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve.
1TI 2:14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being quite deceived, fell into transgression.
1TI 2:15 But women shall be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Thanks,
Marcia
M2
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2005, 05:52:23 pm »

This topic may have been already discussed so forgive me for re-hashing.
Someone said that if an unbelieving husband does not want the wife to go to church, then the wife should not because the Bible instructs the wife to submit.
Any comments??

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2005, 06:45:02 pm »

This topic may have been already discussed so forgive me for re-hashing.
Someone said that if an unbelieving husband does not want the wife to go to church, then the wife should not because the Bible instructs the wife to submit.
Any comments??

Marcia

That is a tough one. With mixed marriages one has to be extremely careful as I have seen God do differnt things with different poeple. If I were consulted, I would tell the sister if it threatened the marraige's immediate survival, she should not go. Especailly if she got into this situation as a believer.
Verne
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: