AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 03:54:36 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Child Training  (Read 15051 times)
Child Training

Email
« on: January 29, 2003, 05:53:53 am »

I was wondering what the AK's thoughts are on their own training - good, bad and ugly.  

For example:  I was telling someone the other day why it is that I am such a deep sleeper.  My theory is:  Mat training.  From a month old, I slept through rousing congregational singing and enthusiastic praying and preaching.  What CAN'T I sleep through?
Eden Garisek

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 05:56:27 am »

Sorry, that was me that started the thread - I did something wrong in naming it, I guess!

Another child training side effect - I think you either become a perfectionist or a rebel!
psalm51

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 05:58:04 am »

I'm assuming from your post that you are not married and do not have any children yet. (If so, pleae ignore next sentence). Your sound sleeping habits will dissolve in a puff of smoke after you have your first child. Trust me on this one. Right, moms? Shocked
lemonlime

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 06:16:08 am »

it's interesting that you mention that.... I'm not a sound sleeper unless im exhausted. the smallest things wake me up. if someone walks into the room virtually soundlessly, i'll still wake up. i had a horrible time in meetings, because i'd never be able to sleep! i was a very energetic, hyperactive little kid and sitting still was sooo hard for me, let alone lying still.

and i'm a little of both... i can be a perfectionist, but im also a rebel. i hate conforming to other peoples standards.

maybe im just strange  Tongue Wink Grin
lemonlime

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 06:33:14 am »

lol thanks for the reassurance Wink

1 Cor 9:25
and everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. they then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2003, 07:46:49 am »

(Luke's don't count.)(Disqualified according to 1Cor 9:25)

I'M NOT AN AK.  I'M NOT AN AK.

I freely admit, i cheated  Cry

Closer to the point of the thread: child training.

Well, to start, some things i have noticed in AKs:

1.  AKs have an attention span 2nd to none while watching movies/TV.  My theory is that this spurns from the lack thereof in the Home.
2. Sleeping - sounds do not wake me up, but any form of movement does.  When i wake up, i am usually wide awake instantly.  I can easily fall asleep whenever i want (quite possibly mat training), and can sleep as long as i want (21.3 hours is my record).
3. School - most of the AKs are academic encouraged, and possess the ability to excell quite easily.  Most of them simply dont care about school or are uninterested in such.
4. AKs are respectful
5. AKs love to hang out.  I dont know if this is just me or not, but i used to be shy to a max, never wanting to talk to people i never met before, even people in the assembly.

Anyway, more to come when they come to mind.
Eden Garisek

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2003, 08:22:49 am »

I'm with Luke on the TV/movies thing - I can also remember entire dialogue sequences from random sitcoms I managed to watch at my grandparents' 20 years ago.  I was like a sponge when it came to TV, no matter what was on - I still can't have it on and fully focus on a conversation or other activity.

I used to be incredibly shy, too - and still am sometimes.  Part of it is just my personality, but part of it is that I used to hate being in the spotlight in case I did something wrong.  For example, I hated praying aloud.  The pressure to do it was one of the most stressful things I've ever experienced.  For me, being as good and quiet as possible seemed like the smoothest way to get through.

Pat, my mom has said the same thing about my sleep patterns - once I have a child, it's all over...!

lemonlime

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2003, 08:31:47 am »

i remember entire episodes of stuff i watched when i was a kid before we got a tv....
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2003, 08:34:57 am »

Since we werent' supposed to have tv in the house (kept it in the closet), we listened to Bill Cosby albums EVERY night.

I have all of those memorized to this day.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2003, 08:44:12 am »

Since we werent' supposed to have tv in the house (kept it in the closet), we listened to Bill Cosby albums EVERY night.

I have all of those memorized to this day.

I will say, since i moved into this dorm 3 years ago, and have had a T3 at my disposal........yeah Smiley

I have full series of most of the Fox shows, along with most cartoon series (even shows like Get Smart, A-Team, and Knight Rider) along with tons of movies.  Needless to say, i killed this lusting after the moving picture with a overdose of such (i am at a point where i can no longer sit still while watching a video, i HAVE to be doing something else).  But, i do have most of the Simpson episodes memorized, all 13 seasons of them  Grin
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2003, 08:49:56 am »

I went through the same thing, Luke. Now my TV is always on but I rarely pay any attention to it.

However, I watched a lot of TV growing up at my grandparents, etc. and of course when we dragged it out of the closet.

I remember the first time we rented a VCR and some movies. Now THAT was a big deal. Nobody knew.
Robb

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2003, 09:12:35 pm »

Sounds vaguely familiar . . .

I went thru my period of absorbing all I could with TV (and more than I should have), but now, even with my favorite shows - I'm usually up doing other things at the same time (could be because I've got three rowdy boys who rarely sit still).

I can remember the sleeping on the floor, too, and sleeping through everything, 'specially all nights of prayer.  Never made it completly through even one of those.

Scott - it was hilarious about the Bill Cosby thing - I remember you spouting off something "hey, hey, hey" from Fat Albert - Good memory.
H

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2003, 05:03:25 pm »

Since this thread is called "Child Training", I would like to solicit input from AKs concerning the use of spanking and other forms of discipline in child training. I would also be interested in your opinion of this:

http://www.flowgo.com/flowgo2_view.cfm?page_id=71183

Lord bless!
H
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2003, 07:49:48 am »

Since this thread is called "Child Training", I would like to solicit input from AKs concerning the use of spanking and other forms of discipline in child training. I would also be interested in your opinion of this:

http://www.flowgo.com/flowgo2_view.cfm?page_id=71183

Lord bless!
H

Which aspects were you wondering about?

--
lucas
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: