AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 01:47:34 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Invitations and flyers  (Read 6644 times)
d3z

Email
« on: January 27, 2003, 11:11:23 pm »

(This is not intended to be "serious", but just a look at some interesting things)

How many have seen the little flyer "How to do a Chapter Summary"?  It has the words on the front, and there is a sample chapter summary inside.  It has an interesting history.

The first version I saw (I'm going to guess 7 or 8 years ago), had the same text on the front.  The chapter summary inside was difficult to follow, and it was hard to tell what were instructions and what was the sample.

This is when I got the idea of using the "torn" notebook paper to show the sample chapter summary.  Shane Sills made the Galatians 1 chapter summary (if I remember correctly), and I drew up the artwork.  There have been a few minor variants on it, but it has stayed mostly the same.

It mostly stayed in San Diego until about 5 years ago, when I went on a team to St. Louis.  Danny Edwards saw it, liked it, and suddenly it started showing up in other places.

Ironic, is that the invite San Diego used for the chapter summary was designed by a brother in St. Louis.  Originally, they would print them in St. Louis.  I later copyied the artwork (nearly identically) and we started printing them locally.

I had a "burden" for quite some time to design a new invitation.  I asked the LBs a few times for a new verse or promise to put on the invite, so I could design the new theme.  Nothing ever came of it.

Dave
Rudy

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 11:32:44 pm »

I was checking out a Bethel Bible Church in my neck of the woods.
The pastor reminded me of a guy who was going through the
neighborhood looking for people interested in starting a church.
It turns out this must be the guy - he said he started a church in
a northern suburb and later came down here about 12 years ago.
This guy and i talked in my folks back yard - maybe i said something
about the chapter summary bible study. When i spoke w/ him about
3 months ago he said that they use a bible study format - practically
the same as ch sum w/ memory verse to boot! The format is good,
but the coincidence was major bid red flag in gale force winds.What
you just shared made me ask, "just how far has this spead?"

Maybe the flyer went to the east also and not just to the west, eh?
d3z

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 11:38:56 pm »

What you just shared made me ask, "just how far has this spead?"

Maybe the flyer went to the east also and not just to the west, eh?

Do remember that George did not come up with Chapter Summary (maybe the name, but not the format).  I have seen numerous variants of it in many different places.  Bible Study Fellowship (a dreaded parachurch organization Tongue ) uses a similar format, but the focus is a little different.

A woman at my work was telling me that they use something very similar at her Presbyterian church.
Rudy

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 11:48:17 pm »

thanx,

gut feeling, not just because of the chapter summary
thing, but prayer and study re their doctrinal statement
in a brochure, led me to say, "OK - leave this one alone".

R
« Last Edit: February 02, 2003, 09:52:40 pm by Rudy » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2003, 02:52:31 am »

Maby this should be a factoid, but Chapter Summarywas developed by Dawson Tratman and the Navigators. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Ken Fuller

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2003, 02:59:09 am »

Chapter Summary IS a good way to study the Bible.  

And claiming that someone was the 'inventor' of breaking a chapter into outlines and getting a meaning and an application from it -- well, you may as well try to track down the inventor of boiling water.  It's just a way to study, and has been espoused by many people in many contexts throughout time.

My issue was that it isn't the ONLY way to study the bible.

After 20 or 30 years, why could we never even TRY some other format.  It was taboo even to suggest.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: