AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:49:13 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: San Diego  (Read 7736 times)
d3z

Email
« on: January 27, 2003, 10:59:31 pm »

I think it is now time to explain a little about what is happening with what was the assembly in San Diego.  I know others in San Diego read this bb, but I haven't seen anyone else posting.

To me, what I'm seeing here sounds more encouraging than what is happening in other places.

First, there is no leadership here.  Both "leading brothers" have acknowledged that their position was established by George.  They didn't as much step down, as they did state that the position they were in had no meaning.

Most are still gathering periodically.  They will be meetings to have discussions about what to do.  There is a time of meeting on Sunday, but it will be in the afternoon so that people can still go attend another place (and be under the word of God).  There is no preaching, but they are reading the scriptures (just reading it, no comment about it).

As far as I know, I am the only one who has gone to another church.  The Lord was leading me to this place for a month or so.

It was much easier for me to leave than for people who left in years past.  Everyone still talks to me.  One of the few things a former leading brother has said was a charge essentially saying that it is ok for people to go somewhere else.

I still have fellowship with these people.  I am standing with them and want to be available to help.  The impact of all of this is still sinking in to many.  It has been rather sudden for most.

At first I wanted to contact friends from other "assemblies".  All I learned from this is that things are not going as well in other places as here.  There is still much "baggage" being carried forward.  Much of it is in attitude--the subtle comment that indicates if you leave, you are abandoning the vision, and the testimony.

Please contact me if you want to know more details (my profile has email as well as AIM, although I don't seem to be able to log into AIM today).

Dave Brown
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2003, 05:15:06 am »

Hi David.
  I live in the San Diego area, though my Assembly experience was in the Valley, and would be happy to help you guys out in any way that I can.
  I was in for about 20 years (71-91) and was a "leading Bro." there.
     You are correct that there are still groups who are carrying their baggage forward and one of them is the Valley.  The leaders are trying to keep it business as usual, with a softer tone.  They still are in denial and trying to hold onto their positions of power.
    Send me an e-mail and we can talk.  I am usually gone from home Mon.-Fri., so pardon if my response is tardy.
                                     God Bless,  Mark
d3z

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2003, 01:23:58 pm »

Just a brief update on San Diego.  I'm kind of coming at this third person since I have only met on an individual basis with former assemblyites.  I stopped going to any meetings shortly after the excommunication letter.

As far as I understand, the group gathering on Sunday afternoon to see where to go next has stopped meeting, at least for the time being.  By this point, most have started going to other places.  Many have gone to a Brethren gathering about 20 minutes away.

I think most do not feel that something should continue.  One in former leadership even made it clear he did not feel the group should continue to meet.  There are a few left that I think want to see something "continue".  I have had a few conversations on the phone that felt somewhat "Geftakian".

Dave
Matt

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 08:27:41 am »

Hi Dave!
Thank you for your update on the San Diego assembly. It's something to be grateful for that the San Diego assembly did not split up as bitterly as a lot of the others! Where are you going to church? What are you doing with your self? I haven't talked to you much since you drove me home from the Campus Conference in 2002 and everyone was car sick. I've been seeing the other Dave (Lee) a lot at his house for the Tues night bible studies and i've been going to the Rock at SDSU. Drop me a few line and tell me everything is ok. Ok? Ok. mattpeeling@yahoo.com
Mr. Tobin,
Are you looking for Nicole Diviglio? She is getting married in June I think.
Matt

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 08:29:46 am »

First, there is no leadership here.  Both "leading brothers" have acknowledged that their position was established by George.  They didn't as much step down, as they did state that the position they were in had no meaning.

Dave Brown

That's because Bob Starr is the man, Dave.
Matt

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 04:57:06 am »

Just a quick question...do any other San Diegans besides Dave Brown and me read this? What are the Ferriens up to? How are the Keanes?
shinchy

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 04:19:27 am »

Hi Dave,
Just got on board with this site. It was good to see your posts.

I'm attempting to complete an MFA in creative writing. I've seen Tim Starr from time to time at SDSU and he told me a little bit about what happened to the group. I also found out more in detail from various sources on the Internet.

I'll post more later. It's my first time on this site and I am feeling overwhelmed by it.

Shin Evans

PS
I have moved across town since the last time you heard from me. I live in a very interesting downtown district, which eliminates the need for a car. I've always had a love/hate relationship with driving.
shinchy

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2004, 12:00:45 pm »

For those of you in San Diego who are free to attend a Good Friday event:

PACEM and St. Paul’s Cathedral present a

Good Friday Meditation

including a performance of
Franz Joseph Haydn’s

The Seven Words
of Christ on the Cross

for string quartet and vocal quartet, sung in German
Virginia Sublett, soprano • Vicki Heins-Shaw, alto
Stephen Sturk, tenor • John Polhamus, baritone

Good Friday, April 9, 2004 at 12 Noon
St. Paul’s Cathedral
2728 Sixth Avenue, San Diego
(enter 5th and Nutmeg)

http://www.stpaulcathedral.org/pacem.html

I have attended this mass in the past couple of years and it very beautiful and moving. Definitely one of the best church sponsored classical music events in San Diego.

Translation of lyrics is provided in programs provided by the church. The lyrics are in German, as the info says, with introductions to songs in Latin.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 12:08:10 pm by Shinchy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: