AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 10:48:24 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 195957 times)
psalm51

Email
« on: January 25, 2003, 07:58:56 pm »

In my readings over the last few years I have been led to compile some of my favorite quotes.  They have both challenged and encouraged me. Here goes  Smiley

"The great thing about serving the poor is that there is no competition."
                                                                     -Eugene Rivers

"Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words."
                                                                     _Francis of Assisi

"If change is to come, it will come from the margins...It was the desert, not the temple, that gave us the prophets."
                                                          -Wendell Berry
psalm51

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 08:03:08 pm »

"Love in action is a harsh and dreadful thing compared with love in dreams.  Love in dreams is greedy for immediate action, rapidly performed and in sight of all.  Men will give their lives if only the ordeal does not last long but is soon over, with all looking on and applauding as if on the stage.  But active love is labor and fortitude."
                                                             -Fyodor Dostoyevsky
psalm51

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 08:05:36 pm »

"Parents who are excessively strict may end up teaching their children nothing about decency and everything about deceit." Shocked
                                                                 -Nancy Tuckerman
sue xander

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 08:06:02 pm »

"Teamwork reflects leadership"

Remember the Titans  (movie)
;>)

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2003, 08:09:46 pm »

"Go RAMS"

(oh wait, it's too late for that)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2003, 08:12:00 pm »

"I still hope for victory, but not by arms...yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who love after may have clean earth to till." (Gandalf)
                                               -from the chapter "The Last Debate"
                                                Lord of the Rings series

psalm51

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2003, 10:46:06 pm »

"The difference between Western culture and other cultures is that in the West human beings exploit other human beings, whereas elsewhere in the world, it is the other way around."
 Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
                                                              -source unknown
karensanford

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2003, 10:57:04 pm »

"Here is revelation as bright as the evening star: Jesus comes for sinners, for those as outcast as tax collectors and for those caught up in squalid choices and failed dreams.  He comes for corporate executives, street people, superstars, farmers, hookers, addicts, IRS agents, AIDS victims, and even used car salesmen.  Jesus not only talks with these people but dines with them--fully aware that His table fellowship with sinners will raise the eyebrows of religious bureaucrats who hold up their robes and insignia of their authority to justify their condemnation of the truth and their rejection of the gospel of grace."

Brennan Manning
The Ragamuffin Gospel

Arthur
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2003, 10:59:36 pm »

"These are free individuals with certain legal and moral rights, including the right to engage in insurrection against those who would enslave them."  

Amistad
psalm51

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2003, 11:06:53 pm »

"In a world of fugitives the person taking the opposite direction will appear to run away."     T.S. Eliot
freebird

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2003, 11:40:14 pm »

The reserve of modern assertions is sometimes pushed to extremes, in which the fear of being contradicted leads the writer to strip himself of almost all sense and meaning.

Sir Winston Churchill

(you can go against the OLD-lodge thinking)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2003, 11:43:41 pm »

"I ...realized I had always devoted my time and attention to people who fascinated me and were pleasant, who engaged my sympathy, and that as a result I was seeing society like the moon, always from one side."
                                                  -Alexsandr Solzhenitsyn

This struck a nerve in my soul. Sad
freebird

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2003, 12:04:32 am »

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Sir Winston Churchill
wmathews

Email
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2003, 12:59:52 am »

'There was never anything by the wit of man so well devised, or so sure established, which in continuance of time has not been corrupted.'

The Common Book of Prayer
freebird

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2003, 01:58:30 am »

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ____(scata). Roll Eyes

My Dad
« Last Edit: January 26, 2003, 01:58:55 am by FREEBIRD (Garth) » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: