AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 06:00:53 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Quotes to Ponder  (Read 196092 times)
brian

Email
« Reply #375 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:10 pm »

"The Antichrist will come disguised as the great humanitarian. He will talk peace, prosperity, and plenty, not as a means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves. He will explain guilt away psychologically, make men shrink in shame if their fellowmen say they are not broad-minded and liberal. He will spread the lie that men will never be better until they make society better."
     –Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

um, so the antichrist will be an open-minded liberal? where does the bible teach that?

here is another quote that clarifies what the good bishop thinks about the evils of being broad-minded and liberal:

There was once upon a time when Christian society burned the thought in order to save society, and after all, something can be said in favor of this practice. To kill one bad thought may mean the salvation of ten thousand thinkers.

if we could just get back to those good ole book burning days, we wouldn't have all these pesky liberals around who weaken the political power of the catholic church Smiley

i hope i'm not coming off as overly antagonistic. i just want to challenge the idea that 'real christians' must march in political lock-step with conservative republicans. and that psychology is the tool of the anti-christ  Roll Eyes

brian
Uncle Buck
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2006, 03:24:29 pm »

( i just want to challenge the idea that 'real christians' must march in political lock-step with conservative republicans. and that psychology is the tool of the anti-christ  Roll Eyes

brian

I think assigning Christianity exclusively to any political party is dangerous.

Psychology / Reasoning can be used for great good and it can be used for great evil...just depends on who is the main influence of your life.

Buck
Uncle Buck
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2006, 03:25:23 pm »

It was (Charles) Spurgeon who noticed a weather vane that a farmer had on his barn. It was an unusual weather vane, for on it the farmer had the words, GOD IS LOVE. Mr. Spurgeon asked him, ‘Do you mean by this that God’s love is as changeable as the wind?’ The farmer shook his head. ‘No,’ he said, ‘I do not mean that God’s love changes like that. I mean that whichever way the wind blows, God is love.'”
     –Dr. J. Vernon McGee,
Oscar

Email
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2006, 08:52:56 pm »

( i just want to challenge the idea that 'real christians' must march in political lock-step with conservative republicans. and that psychology is the tool of the anti-christ  Roll Eyes

brian

I think assigning Christianity exclusively to any political party is dangerous.

Psychology / Reasoning can be used for great good and it can be used for great evil...just depends on who is the main influence of your life.

Buck

Brian and Buck,

I heartily agree that the "all Christians should be Republicans" idea is seriously flawed.  Political parties, after all, are huge conglomerations of people with different ideas and agendas.  The Republican party includes at least:

1. Millions of Christians who feel it is the closest party to their more traditional moral values.

2. Neo-Cons who are very secular but are pretty close to Ayn Rand's Libertarian ideas.

3. Real Libertarians who vote Republican because they know that Libertarians very rarely win elections, so they vote for the lesser of two evils.

4. Rockefeller, (big bucks) Republicans who feel that the Republicans create a better legal/economic environment for doing business.

5. Lincoln Club Republicans. These folks are homosexuals that understand that right now the Republicans are more likely to keep taxes down and defend the country against terrorists.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
Uncle Buck
« Reply #379 on: May 17, 2006, 12:26:11 am »

“Prayer is not overcoming God’s reluctance. It is laying hold of His willingness.”
     –George Muller

A Detestable Young Drunk
George Mueller had not always lived a life of faith. As a young man in Prussia (in today's Germany) he was busy pursuing his own pleasures. When he was fourteen and his mother lay dying, he was out partying and getting drunk with his friends. By sixteen he was a liar, a thief, a swindler, a drunkard, and in jail. Yet, God worked in the young man's soul and brought him to Himself. While at the University of Halle in 1825, he left behind the profligacy and self-seeking of his old life and became totally devoted to serving his Lord. Humility came to mark Mueller's life, for he depended on God for everything, viewing himself as a tool in the hands of the Master Workman.

By 1829, Mueller had left his native Prussia and gone to London to train as a missionary to the Jews. However, in England the Lord directed him along other paths, and by 1832 he was pastoring a Brethren congregation in Bristol, England. Bristol would be the center of his ministry for the next sixty-six years.

Influenced by Pietism
At Bristol, Mueller began reading a biography of a great leader of the "Pietism" movement, A. H. . Francke, who had founded an orphan house at Halle in 1696. Francke's orphanage became the largest enterprise for orphans then existing in the world, and he had trusted in God for every provision. As Mueller began to work with the poor in Bristol, he too wanted to trust the Lord and bring every need to Him in prayer.

A year after coming to Bristol, Mueller had established two Sunday Schools, two adult schools, and six day schools. In 1834 he founded the Scriptural Knowledge Institute. Debts were not allowed for this work of the Lord, and the "patronage of the World" was not to be accepted. The Lord prospered the work. By 1880 the S.K.I. was responsible for 72 day schools with 7000 students in Bristol as well as in Italy, Spain, and South America.

Homes for Orphans
As work among the poor in Bristol grew, Mueller believed he should open an orphan house. Within a year, one hundred orphans were being cared for; by 1870, the orphanges had multiplied and two thousand children were being cared for.

It's God's Concern
The history of the Bristol orphanges is page after page of answered prayer. Nothing was too small to bring to the Lord in prayer, for nothing was too small to be under God's care. In his prayers, Mueller would confidently set his need and his case before God: He is their Father, and therefore has pledged Himself, as it were, to provide for them; and I have only to remind Him of the need of these poor children in order to have it supplied.

An Unfailing Faith
It was this unshakable faith in God's providing hand which made the Bristol orphanages so unique. Some leaders visiting the orphanage asked the matron of the home, "Of course you cannot carry these institutions without a good stock of funds. . . Have you a good stock?" The matron quietly replied, "Our funds are deposited in a bank which cannot break." Tears came to the eyes of the visitors, who gave a donation to the work -- a very timely gift because at the moment there were no funds on hand! The orphanage never accumulated a surplus of funds, but daily relied on the Lord for their provisions.

When he was seventy, George Mueller turned over the management of the orphanages to his son-in-law and began a series of worldwide missionary tours. From 1875 to 1892 he traveled 250,000 miles and addressed 3 million people in forty-two countries. He died in Bristol at the age of 93. Though much money had passed through his hands he did not accumulate wealth for himself. His life demonstrated what extraordinary ministry can be accomplished through the combination of tender compassion for hungry and homeless children, unshakable faith in God, and practical action to meet need.

Robbing Factories
The homes emphasized education and the development of Christian character. The quality of education was so high that Mueller was accused of educating the poor beyond their station and robbing the factories and mines of their labor. Boys were kept in their homes until they were fourteen and girls until they were seventeen. All were trained in some work so they had jobs when they left the orphanage. Boys were often apprenticed to some trade, and the girls were prepared for domestic service, nursing, or teaching.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:29:17 am by Uncle Buck » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #380 on: May 17, 2006, 08:28:52 am »

He died in Bristol at the age of 93. Though much money had passed through his hands he did not accumulate wealth for himself. His life demonstrated what extraordinary ministry can be accomplished through the combination of tender compassion for hungry and homeless children, unshakable faith in God, and practical action to meet need.

This was a particularly refreshing article, especially noting the bolded sentences.
Uncle Buck
« Reply #381 on: May 17, 2006, 10:07:02 pm »

If your lips would keep from slips,
Five things to observe with care:
To whom you speak, of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.

–Author unknown

Uncle Buck
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2006, 10:09:03 pm »

This was a particularly refreshing article, especially noting the bolded sentences.

It is encouraging to see what God can do.
Uncle Buck
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2006, 11:42:51 pm »

If God gives you a watch, are you honoring Him more by asking Him what time it is or by simply consulting the watch?
A. W. Tozer

One hundred religious persons knit into a unity by careful organizations do not constitute a church any more than eleven dead men make a football team. The first requisite is life, always.
A. W. Tozer

Refuse to be average. Let your heart soar as high as it will.
A. W. Tozer

The devil is a better theologian than any of us and is a devil still.
A. W. Tozer

The vague and tenuous hope that God is too kind to punish the ungodly has become a deadly opiate for the consciences of millions.
A. W. Tozer

The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian
A.W. Tozer
Margaret

Email
« Reply #384 on: May 20, 2006, 09:19:58 am »

The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian
A.W. Tozer

Tozer seems to be implying that "whole Christians" should be able to do this. In reality, Jesus is the only one who was able to. By His perfect obedience he accomplished a perfect righteousness for all believers and the Father accepts it on our behalf as "spiritual perfection"--thanks be to God!
Uncle Buck
« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2006, 05:02:41 pm »

Tozer seems to be implying that "whole Christians" should be able to do this. In reality, Jesus is the only one who was able to. By His perfect obedience he accomplished a perfect righteousness for all believers and the Father accepts it on our behalf as "spiritual perfection"--thanks be to God!

My take on it is that Tozer is implying that spiritual perfection is something that we should be striving for.
I agree with you...Jesus did it for us.
I have read that President Lincoln used to attend church services unannounced because he did not want any preacher to patronize him. One time an aid asked Lincoln what he really thought of a particular church service. Lincoln expressed dissappointment and stated that the preached word of God will inspire a man to acts greater than himself.
IMO I think this is what Tozer was talking about.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #386 on: May 20, 2006, 11:09:09 pm »

"The Antichrist will come disguised as the great humanitarian. He will talk peace, prosperity, and plenty, not as a means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves. He will explain guilt away psychologically, make men shrink in shame if their fellowmen say they are not broad-minded and liberal. He will spread the lie that men will never be better until they make society better."
     –Bishop Fulton J. Sheen

Hi Brian!

This is in response to your comments on the above quote:

I disagree with Bishop Sheen's prediction above that the "Anti-Christ" will be some kind of humanistic liberal, though he most likely will use such to gain his ends.

The Anti-Christ is described as a "Beast" and this gives a clear indication that he will be the exact opposite of a humanist.  History shows what his character will be like in guys like Nero, Alexander, Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, etc.

These modern "Beasts" used liberal/humanistic atheistic philosophy (Nietzche, Marx, Mao) as a philosophical basis for advancing their murderous regimes.  Now, this is far to the left of the likes of Ted Kennedy, but guys like Kennedy faciliate their farther to the left cousins via their pursuit of the appeasment of evil.

Chamberlain of England during Hitler's rise is a perfect example of how liberalism/humanism can actually help Beast like leaders.  He tried to appease Hilter, as Kennedy did (liberals in the West)  with the Soviet Union later on.  It took a conservative Churchill and Ronald Reagan to bring these respective anti-christ nations down.

It is my belief that humanism/psychology without a basic biblical understanding of evil and the need for redemption of mankind will be a useful tool for the Anti-Christ, and eventually will be a rude awakening to those so used (Chamberlain eventually realized Hiter had used him).

The other hand, a conservative kind of Christian religion that only values theological orthodoxy without any care for an individual human needs is not the proper response to "Godless humanism."  The Pharisee is a good example of this kind of "conservative (defender of traditional values) because rigid  belief without honest reflection re. my own human experience leads to all kinds of hypocrisy and "anti-christ" behaviors.

One of our newest beast types, Ahmadinejad of Iran, has a "conservative/fundamentalist" religious bent, but his philosophy is absent any kind of concern for humanity at all.  If he gets his nuclear bomb it will be because of liberal appeasers in Europe who think one can negoiate with such evil types.  These liberals are well intentioned, but their rejection of biblical moral judgments  (read the axis of evil) will think they can persuade this nut.

God Bless,  Mark C.

Oscar

Email
« Reply #387 on: May 21, 2006, 02:11:27 am »

Mark,

By now I suppose you have heard that our Iranian friend has signed a law that:

1. Imposes "Islamic dress" on the people of Iran next year.

2. Imposes the requirement that each minority religion in Iran wear an identifying badge.  The one for Jews is to be yellow...reminiscent of the Yellow star of David imposed by the Nazis.

I would not be surprised if the Israeli's nuke they guy if this goes into effect.  The article I read said it would be next year.

This is scary.

Thomas Maddux
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2006, 06:10:51 am »

Hi Tom!

Yes, I did hear about that.  Very scary indeed  !  Fortunately I've read the book and know the ending or I would be very frightened indeed!

I'm presently reading "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich" and this why the analogy between Nazism and this kook came to mind so readily.  Nobody took the ramblings of Hitler very seriously when he got started, but you can bet that Israel has learned from history that pacifism in the face of this kind of evil is suicidal.

God Bless,  Mark C.

Uncle Buck
« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2006, 08:33:10 pm »

“The less we read the Word of God, the less we desire to read it, and the less we pray, the less we desire to pray.”
 George Muller quote

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
  Print  

Jump to: