AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 12:29:50 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pathological Liar  (Read 7826 times)
Vandyyke
« on: July 25, 2008, 06:02:38 am »

I am working as an Occupational Therapist this summer. Yesterday I worked with a new patient, Lyle. He is a great guy to be around. He's a big lug! 6" 5", boyish features and always talking. His spirits are-pretty upbeat considering the fact that his wife and four kids were killed in January by a drunk driver. Lyle himself is in the hospital because he was the victim of a hit and run! Lyle is an executive with Hyatt Hotels, he was walking across the street in Greensboro N.C.  (He use to play football at U.N.C. that was before he did two years with the Miami Dolphins.) when a young woman who was D.U.I hit him. She is presently being held on 7 felonies.  Lyle also graduated from the N.Y. School for Culinary Arts, (Master Chef) O.K. I will spare you the rest. The striking thing about Lyle is his ability to lie. He doesn't lie like you and me. When my wife asks me a question, "Did you pay the ....."  She can pretty well guess I am lying. Its' because of the way I pause, stutter, him-haw my way around taking responsibility. Not Lyle. Lyle can lie with the most genuine sincerity. He lies like he is a narrator of a book he wrote before he was born. He lies as if he was pre-programed by the genetic scientist who invented him. Lyle could pass any lie detector test! This is because Lyle believes everything he says. If you confronted  Lyle he would just add another chapter to tie up the lose ends. It is just his reality!

Now, it may not be as obvious to others but isn't George just like Lyle?

Isn't George just someone who continually fabricates his own biographies, theologies, destinies? Doesn't he in some sick and twisted way really believe himself?

btw-The rest of the staff has yet to figure Lyle out. One reason for this is Lyle himself! Lyle is the kinda guy you just naturally want to believe! Even when you know he telling you a bunch of $%#@ you just want to believe him!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:15:56 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 05:51:04 pm »

That is quite an interesting topic.  I have often wondered (though I don't expect any way of knowing an answer) where George exactly "crossed the line".  Did he minister at one point with some measure of sincerity and then start believing that he indeed have a unique anointing when people started telling him so?

I guess I am of the camp that doesn't quite believe that George and Betty sat down one day at the kitchen table and said, "Let's start an abusive church and rake everyone over the coals."  Somehow along the way he told a lie, got away with it, felt God's "blessing" in spite of it and progressively found himself unable to stop.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 08:40:19 pm »

Lyle?  Wow--I wonder if that is the same Lyle that accompanied me on a hot air balloon
trip over the Himalayas. We actually wound up landing on the summit of Everest, and had
a Spaghetti lunch before continuing on our trip to play Croquet with the Dalai Lama.  I'm
pretty sure it might be the same guy.  Small world.
Vandyyke
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 04:39:30 am »

Lyle's doctor is wondering why he can't find anything on Lyle's X-Rays. Yet he didn't push it. Doctor's tend to just play along with these people because they still get paid. In fact you would be surprised how many operations are done needlessly.

Lyle invited me to hang out with him at his island home during the "Pro-Bowl" Lyle gets free tickets.  Cheesy
Vandyyke
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2008, 04:44:05 am »

Another B.B. posted this on Lyl. I think a lot of it relates to GG.

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning
They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

Grandiose Sense of Self
Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

Pathological Lying
Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

Shallow Emotions
When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

Incapacity for Love

Need for Stimulation
Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

Callousness/Lack of Empathy
Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

Irresponsibility/Unreliability
Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 05:09:17 am »

VanDave,

Another B.B. posted this on Lyl. I think a lot of it relates to GG.

I think ALL of it relates to GG.    Angry   Sad

Tom Maddux
Vandyyke
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 08:13:27 am »

Usually has a history of...academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others.

A few years back I looked GG up at Biola. I was so surprised to see how long it took him to get his BA. Yet he carried himself as a genius. I would pay good money to read the "teacher comments" on his report cards.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 08:44:57 pm »

VanDave,

How did you "look up" GG at Biola?

Tom M.
Vandyyke
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 10:47:57 pm »

I went to the library and went through yearbooks. I remember finding his picture, he looked a lot like his son David, as I was perusing the next yearbook and then the next (He is missing one or two years?-this is when he quit school to join the marines?) I noticed he finally graduated with  a B.A. 

I also had a meeting with someone in P.R. I told them about George and was curious if they would be willing to release an official statement, something like "We at Biola college want to let it be known that we do not endorse George..." However, after they, (the school board?) discussed the matter, they declined.

George carried himself as an academic genius, I sure would like to get a look at his grades. (Is this possible?)

My neighbor and I were discussing Lee Irons. He is presently working on two PhD's at Fuller. Now that would be something I would have expected GG to have acomplished.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:11:42 am by Vandyyke » Logged
amycahill

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:01:43 pm »

The most common story of how Scientology got started was as a result of a drunken bet between sci fi authors at a convention.  Hubbard won, obviously.  But it looks like he believed his own fabrications later on.
Vandyyke
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 04:59:46 am »

Lyle turned on me Friday afternoon. He claimed that my exercises dislocated his shoulder. He did a bicep curl with a dowel, no-weight.  When I left work he was up at the nurse's station demanding to be taken to the hospial emergency room.

So now my licensce is in jeopardy! Here is a guy who takes from the system and gives nothing back.

I should have been on the lookout for this. People like Lyle are smarter than you give them credit for. They wait for an opportunity then they stab you in the butt!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: