AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 06:29:00 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Assembly Happenings  (Read 8328 times)
just me

Email
« on: June 28, 2008, 08:04:09 pm »

On Saturday June 14th there was an assembly wedding held in Pasadena.  It was a marriage between a man from Pasadena and a woman from WLA.  There were about 300 guests in attendance from the assemblies in San Francisco, Sacramento, WLA, Pasadena and Riverside.  The format was the same as always: long somber hymns, long preaching about the man and women’s relationship likened to Christ and the church, Jim McAllister saying, “you may salute your bride”. 

There were differences from past weddings though, there were no headcoverings and wine was served. 

One sad statement to show how narrow-minded the groups still are; the groom’s brother (a former assembly member) was told he was not invited to the wedding because of negative things he said about George and his followers over 5 years ago.  Even though the brother did all he could to reconcile with his own brother.  The group still dictated the relationship.  All of the rest of the groom’s family (aunts, cousins, and grandparents) were in attendance regardless of their religious beliefs.  Several who are church elders and pastors, could not tolerate the message and left right after the service.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:26:04 pm »

On Saturday June 14th there was an assembly wedding held in Pasadena.  It was a marriage between a man from Pasadena and a woman from WLA.  There were about 300 guests in attendance from the assemblies in San Francisco, Sacramento, WLA, Pasadena and Riverside.  The format was the same as always: long somber hymns, long preaching about the man and women’s relationship likened to Christ and the church, Jim McAllister saying, “you may salute your bride”. 

There were differences from past weddings though, there were no headcoverings and wine was served. 

One sad statement to show how narrow-minded the groups still are; the groom’s brother (a former assembly member) was told he was not invited to the wedding because of negative things he said about George and his followers over 5 years ago.  Even though the brother did all he could to reconcile with his own brother.  The group still dictated the relationship.  All of the rest of the groom’s family (aunts, cousins, and grandparents) were in attendance regardless of their religious beliefs.  Several who are church elders and pastors, could not tolerate the message and left right after the service.

How sad......and disgusting.

Moonflower2
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 09:49:37 pm »

How sad......and disgusting.

Moonflower2

The "Just Me" report re. the Pasadena Assm. wedding helps us to understand the true character of these groups that survived the post GG era.

My view is that the "wine" that was served at the wedding was actually Kool-Aid, as the seeming lifting of restraints in the serving of wine must be contrasted with the cult like behavior of excluding the brother of the Groom because of "negative comments" that he made of the group.

In understanding what makes a church "cultic", vs. just a Christian sect that has their own peculiar set of practices that differ from the mainstream, we must apply a moral test: Truth and love.

What I mean by using these two words is not re. a test of teaching, but in looking at a groups behavior;  the bible considers immoral conduct just as bad as heresy.  As Moon. correctly suggested, the Pasadena Assm. behavior was "disgusting"------ Why?

It is "disgusting" because it is morally repugnant on several levels: 

1.) Truth:  True servants of Jesus Christ are humble and are willing to accept entreaty.
     A cult like group (false shepherds) are more interested in protecting their positions of power in the group vs. truly following God. The brother of the Groom should have had his concerns heard 5 years ago without being rejected by these leaders.

2.) Love: From this behavior we can truly know if a group is representing God or their own selfish group centered interests.
   Loving behavior concerns itself with the well being of the individual church member vs. the survival of the group.  The Pasadena Assm. demonstrated a hard heart toward this brother of the groom, a brother in Christ, because the leaders in the Assm. sought revenge toward him, which is a hateful response.

The church at Laodicea made Jesus sick ("disgusting") and I think Jesus probably feels the same way re. what Pasadena has done!  Wine and head coverings are not the issue------ humble repentance and loving reconciliation toward those the Assembly (in all its different post GG versions) harmed most certainly are!

God Bless, Mark C. 
Marcia M

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 03:12:56 am »

My view is that the "wine" that was served at the wedding was actually Kool-Aid, as the seeming lifting of restraints in the serving of wine must be contrasted with the cult like behavior of excluding the brother of the Groom because of "negative comments" that he made of the group.

Re. wine/Kool-Aid, is this like a tongue-in-cheek comment. Huh The poster said they served wine.
They actually served wine at a very assembly wedding in Omaha in January 1985.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 03:29:49 am »

Hi Marcia,

Yes, my Kool-Aid comment was an attempt at sarcasm.  The word "Kool-Aid" has been used in the past to refer to cult like behavior because it was what Jim Jones used, mixed with poison, to take his followers with him in suicide.  The word is now commonly used (sarcastically) when poking fun at political party faithfuls who give unquestioned loyalty to a political candidate. 

God Bless,  Mark C.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:22:58 pm »

Headcoverings and wine are actually a pretty common combination. The headcovering of choice
when consuming wine is usually a lampshade though.
hope

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:50:25 pm »

I was really sad to read this post and its responses.  Though I'm not a fan of "the assembly", I definitely sense a thread of bitterness and hatred in these posts.  I've struggled with "the assembly" and my treatment there, as well as it's doctrinal teachings but the Lord has shown me that the people are not enemies.  Satan is the enemy.  God still loves the people in the "assembly" by His grace.  It seems like y'all have stooped to their level, and the very ones you condemn, you are like. I don't see the reflection of Christ here, rather, in your mockings I see Mr. Geftakys' image.  It reminds me of the verse, "And do you not do the same things?"  I share with this with you because I have fallen into this trap many times.  But when we cease to love, and when we condemn and mock others, we show ourselves to be no better.   There is a way to speak the truth, without compromising God's love.  I have come to learn that the true act of faith is to remain meek, not mean, in the face of injustices.  When we exercise self control of the lips, we show a fruit of the Spirit that is valued in God's sight.  This tells the true enemy that the Lord is sovereign, and we await true justice from our King rather than taking our meager pokes today, and our rewards are paid in full now rather than received with honor in His kingdom.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: