AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 04:17:45 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geothe's Faust  (Read 2842 times)
Vandyyke
« on: April 23, 2008, 08:23:28 am »

If you had the misery of listening to G.G. preach at seminars you will no doubt recall his habit of quoting outrageously heretical material and drawing "Christian" applications from it.

"If I stand fast [Wie ich baharre] I shall be a slave" (1692-1712) he is willing to give up his soul to the Devil the minute he is willing to rest-in contentment...

Came across this quote from Goethe's Faust.  I recall George quoting it numerous times. It was one of those quotes that made you wonder, "Why is he quoting Faust?" Does he think Faust (A man who has made a bargain with Mephisto (The Devil) is an example of someone who is denying himself? (Because the moment he is satisfied he will have to pay up!) It doesn't make sense. Perhaps someone else can recall the context?

I can't help but think this was G.G's opportunity to be sensational. Yet it goes farther, George's grandiosely twisted  Ego  fancied himself as a type of Faust. He was playing games with the Devil and laughing at us at the same time.

O.K. back to work! 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:31:32 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:52 pm »

If you had the misery of listening to G.G. preach at seminars you will no doubt recall his habit of quoting outrageously heretical material and drawing "Christian" applications from it.

"If I stand fast [Wie ich baharre] I shall be a slave" (1692-1712) he is willing to give up his soul to the Devil the minute he is willing to rest-in contentment...

Came across this quote from Goethe's Faust.  I recall George quoting it numerous times. It was one of those quotes that made you wonder, "Why is he quoting Faust?" Does he think Faust (A man who has made a bargain with Mephisto (The Devil) is an example of someone who is denying himself? (Because the moment he is satisfied he will have to pay up!) It doesn't make sense. Perhaps someone else can recall the context?

I can't help but think this was G.G's opportunity to be sensational. Yet it goes farther, George's grandiosely twisted  Ego  fancied himself as a type of Faust. He was playing games with the Devil and laughing at us at the same time.

O.K. back to work! 

I think you are right, David.  It is a bit ironic that we were constantly told never to read a commentary but just receive God's "voice" on our knees before an open Bible.  But then George in seminars would constantly strive to show how well-read he was by quoting this or that.  Sensational.  Grandiosely twisted ego.  Glad I stayed home this past Easter.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: