AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 04:45:51 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a Neurosis!  (Read 5231 times)
Vandyyke
« on: April 09, 2008, 10:02:05 am »

I am trying to counter an argument that claims The French have sufferered a Neurosis because they were unable to find "closure" after WWII.

The argument goes like this, "We didn't own up to Nazi collaboration because we were tramatized by the fact that the Communists were taking over Europe." 

Now I am sure someone on this BB can give me a good argument against psychology!!!
Vandyyke
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:55:16 am »

Hey, It's coming back to me now! Anyone remember this from 1990? It happened right here in La Habra, CA.
This is the theme of The Vinchy Syndrome. People are "remembering repressed memories" and confronting the guilty!

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE7DE143BF937A15752C0A966958260
Oscar

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 01:09:55 am »

VanDave,

Is this neurosis supposed to effect people born after the German occupation ended in 1944?

Tom M.
Vandyyke
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:43:21 am »

No, the "repressed memory" seems to be the diagnosis of collaborators! "Oh, those Jews I ordered to deathcamps!"

My proffessor mentioned Corrie Ten Boom tonight. He says Dr. Rietveild knew her. I remember hearing she lived in Placentia? I vaugly remember hearing the saints use to visit her?Huh?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:48:46 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 09:15:56 pm »

Yes.  She was somewhere around there - Placentia or Yorba Linda I think.  My wife almost got to take care of her but it didn't work out.

-Dave
Vandyyke
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 03:20:22 am »

I decided to introduce Anne Frank into my 3rd graders this past week. They really respond to her. It never ceases to amaze me, "Man's inhumanity towards his fellow man!" Relatively, we live in a pretty mild period of history! It makes me feel good knowing my students will grow up with an impression of Anne Frank as a representative of the Jewish race. Such a beautiful person. Can anyone honestly believe that this little girl is burning in a Christless eternity?

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=2&lid=2
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 03:22:36 am by Vandyyke » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 06:21:58 am »

I decided to introduce Anne Frank into my 3rd graders this past week. They really respond to her. It never ceases to amaze me, "Man's inhumanity towards his fellow man!" Relatively, we live in a pretty mild period of history! It makes me feel good knowing my students will grow up with an impression of Anne Frank as a representative of the Jewish race. Such a beautiful person. Can anyone honestly believe that this little girl is burning in a Christless eternity?

http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=2&lid=2
One of these days, I have to read her book.  For some reason, I never got to it.  When I was in Amsterdam, I didn't go the AF museum but I did make it out to the Ten Boom house.  It was eerie standing in the actual closet where they hid Jews. 

Your last question will require another thread concerning final judgment and various views on who is included in that.  The short answer is I don’t have enough information about her and what God thinks about her and I am not up to writing that other thread right now.

-Dave
Vandyyke
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 06:58:42 am »

I didn't know her house was a museum? I wonder how she ended up here in Placentia? I read that one of the men who helped Anne ended up in Canada where he died a few years ago? I wonder why he chose to stay out of his former country (also?)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: