AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 11:02:01 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutt'in Loose  (Read 8493 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: December 03, 2007, 07:58:54 am »

Tonight I attend a Christmas party with Loretta for her work at Chick-fil-a.  Since this is a fast food restaurant, most who work there are in the 17-25 age so after a nice dinner and raffle, folks cut loose on the dance floor.

This is probably a function of my age and personality, not necessarily a carry-over from the Assembly, but I really have a huge reluctance to participate in the fast-pace dances.  Most of the dances (YMCA, Macarena, Electric Slide and many I never heard of) I sat out.  The best I could do was a slower dance with my wife.  Nothing sanctimonious here.  I just don't have the personality (or the desire really) to let go emotionally and let it all hang out on the dance floor.  (I have the same problem in churches that favors emotionally-driven, high-energy and often low-content worship).  At one point, I went outside to a quiet gazebo and enjoyed watching the ducks swim under the Christmas lights - something I really enjoyed much more than spinning and twirling and shouting whew!

On the other hand, when I left the Assembly, with great joy and gusto, I would take my family down to the beach on a Sunday afternoon.  I love the beach and Sunday afternoon is a wonderful time to enjoy the family in the waves.  It was a time, I really felt free - especially when I saw some HB folks wearing their suits rushing back to a meeting.

So, this all leads up to my discussion question:  What are some things that after you left the Assembly you now have great freedom and joy in doing.  And what are some things that you still have an inner reluctance to do even though others seem to have no problem with it and enjoy it?
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:00:34 am »

Hanging Christmass lights in the windows!  Grin  Cool
(small trees - kind of iffy,yet) Wreaths circling candles - love it. Giving gifts and sending cards- love it.
Christmas parties - fun.

Don't feel guilty about passing by the "saints vacation-as-a-group" and taking a family vacation.

Line dancing - great fun.

Watching movies and TV for current news  Shocked - good.

Christine
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 05:50:56 am »

Ahh yes

so many things.

Saturday/ Sunday afternoon trips sight seeing. Memorial day weekend trips--no seminars.

this past weekend we put up the Christmas tree and didnt worry about forgetting the true meaning of xmas. Every day this month I get to watch my 2yr old daughters fascination with "the blinky lights" as we affectionately call them. Oh and watching her toddle out of her room christmas morning and run right for the gifts.

Christmas windows at Marshall Fields/Macy's (downtown Chicago)
Watching TV ie ballgames, news. Saturday morning cartoons with my daughter(to clarify which cartoons mickey mouse, little Einstein).

Sitting on the couch watching good movie while on my laptop---most excellant

Trips to the mall,
Gifts for neices and nephews.

Wow so many

Free from the law o happy condition  Grin

« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 06:00:03 am by Christine » Logged
vernecarty

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 01:04:40 am »

It was a time, I really felt free -

This has got to be just about the most powerful impact leaving the assembly system would have on an individual - a new-found sense of freedom.
When you stop to think about it, the assemblies were anti-thetical to everything that salvation in Christ implies.
After-all, it was to secure our freedom that He went to the cross.

In the assemblies we were mercilessly driven.

Tuesday night chapter summaries, Wednesday night prayer meetings, Friday night outreach, Saturday morning taped ministry, and of course, all day Sunday "for the Lord"...remember those days?

If you were a part of the leadership, it was even worse.

It was a horrific assault on the human psyche and the results certainly speak for themselves for we really don't know the half of it...

With the exception of a monthly visit to a local nursing home, Sunday afternoons at our house are jealously guarded as down-time for family.
Some of my very fondest memories are of lazy, tranquil Sundays with a delicious Sunday dinner followed by whatever...lively game of scrabble or ten days in Africa, a good book by a roaring fire in Winter, or even a glorious afternoon nap...!

I think the very zenith of the believer's maturation in his spiritual walk, is a recognition of the remarkable liberty he has in Christ.

That is the reason we ultimately left, is it not?  Smiley

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 01:07:44 am by vernecarty » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 03:40:41 am »

It was a horrific assault on the human psyche and the results certainly speak for themselves for we really don't know the half of it...

I think the very zenith of the believer's maturation in his spiritual walk, is a recognition of the remarkable liberty he has in Christ.

That is the reason we ultimately left, is it not?  Smiley

Very well said Verne!

I remember a bible study in the Assm. where a Bro. read the verse "for freedom you have been set free".  While he read the verse my soul soared only to crash hard when he ended by saying: " Yes, you have freedom in Christ---- but, what are you doing with that freedom?!! Tongue

Paul was very aware of those seeking to steal our freedom when he asked the question in Gal., "where is the blessing---?"  The reason God gives us freedom is because he loves us and wants to bless us, not as a means to dominate our lives like some kind of control freak.

God Bless,  Mark C.
amycahill

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 01:06:16 pm »

Heh.  I bet I'm one of the few who can go to Estes Park and NOT have flashbacks.  (I'm a Colorado native.)  Grin

I don't know.  I was in for a much shorter time than many of you, and really, really long ago now.  Most of the remaining effects of the Assembly are how I view Christianity in general, not even God, really.

I love cutting up the dance floor and singing karaoke!   Smiley  But there's nothing too new about that.  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: