AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:08:45 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Harold Camping  (Read 23724 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 03:07:17 am »

I have to 'fess up to something I did quite a ways back---though I found it quite funny at the time. I had a
huge magazine type "tract" placed on my car by the Tony Alamo organization. Inside was an awful attack against
the Catholic Church. Not that I side with the Catholic church, but this was horrible. It literally said
that anyone associated with Catholicism was destined for hell, and attacked all believers that went
to any form of Catholic church. Much of the rest of the magazine centered around Tony Alamo and his personality,
and what a great blessing he was to the world, etc.

I took a piece of notebook paper and with a BIC lighter burnt the corners, and browned the center
just a bit. Then I wrote:

Dear Tony,

Thank you for the great service you are doing in turning many away from the truth. It is much
appreciated. We'll be seeing you soon!

Satan

I mailed it off to the Organization's headquarters. I've often wondered what the reaction was to that letter upon opening it.
Brother, may I have a word with you?  What were you thinking? Wink
doug

Email
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:49:34 am »

But on the other hand ray Comfort (who open airs at the HB pier) is very good.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 03:58:31 am by doug » Logged
doug

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 03:58:53 am »

Also, what about the Jesus Christ show on kfi? I know they say he is actually the producer of the show, but he pointedly claims to be Jesus Christ.
doug

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »

I must say though HC does seem to know the word. But he's sort of a Bible code person too.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 08:41:32 pm »

I must say though HC does seem to know the word. But he's sort of a Bible code person too.
Mr. Camping does know the text of the Bible.  He looks at it somewhat literal but feels the greater truths are in the underlying allegorical interpretation.  This was not uncommon with early church fathers but becomes rather humorous when presented today.

For example, Mr. Camping was once speaking on the passage "when you fast, anoint your head with oil".  Most would take it to mean that if you do fast, don't do it for the sake of showmanship and public applaud.  Mr. Camping's "deeper" allegorical interpretation was as follows (which I am not making up):

Fasting is a picture of preaching the gospel.  Anointing your head with oil is a picture of salvation.  So what Jesus is telling us in this passage is that before we preach the gospel, we must make sure that we ourselves are saved.
doug

Email
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 10:53:22 pm »

Well, he is perhaps correct when he says one should be born again before one should preach the gospel. Thats the real problem with his show. He seems to have extensive knowledge of the Bible and real insight. But he does sham around a bit regarding some issues and what for me is the most disturbing is his idea that the church age is over and that satan is in control of each church. Knowing some of the churches I've been to its not a completely outlandish idea, but it really is an incredible statement.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 10:40:39 pm »

Well, he is perhaps correct when he says one should be born again before one should preach the gospel. Thats the real problem with his show. He seems to have extensive knowledge of the Bible and real insight. But he does sham around a bit regarding some issues and what for me is the most disturbing is his idea that the church age is over and that satan is in control of each church. Knowing some of the churches I've been to its not a completely outlandish idea, but it really is an incredible statement.
Certainly this time his conclusion is right (if not stating the obvious).  The point is that his conclusion has nothing to do with the passage he was talking about.   So when he makes statements like "the church age is over" and "Christ will return in 1998", he is simply doing what he always does - superimposing his own thoughts onto the gospel narrative.
soul dreamer

Email
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 12:50:36 am »

A rough looking young man (sort of a biker type) once approached me and asked "Is that a Bible?"  I yes, and then then asked me, "Have you ever heard of Tony and Sue Alamo?"  I said yes, I had, and that they were the leaders of a heretical cult that did not really represent Christianity.

He told me that he had been hanging out on Hollywood Blvd one night, and that a bus with the word "heaven" in the destination window had pulled up.  Some friendly young people who begged him to go with them to a wonderful place where he could have free room and board and learn about God.  So he did.

The bus took him out of LA and out into the desert many miles from the nearest town to an islolated compound.  He found out that the place was run on a very strict schedule with chores, everlasting meetings, and constant immersion in the teachings of the leaders, Tony and Sue Alamo. 

After a couple of days he was thouroughly tired of this, and he asked to be taken back to Hollywood.  They said that they were sorry but only those who were commited to the "vision" and "ministry" of these "God annointed" leaders could ride the bus.  He realized that he was a prisoner of a cult!  He was free to leave at any time...but the prospect of hiking 20 miles accross the desert in Summer was a daunting prospect, to say the least.

He beefed and groused for a couple of days, but they would not relent.  So, he decided to "take a dive".  He put on an act that he had "seen the light" and wanted to commit his life to the cult.  They then allowed him to go on a recruiting team to Hollywood Blvd. 

He took his hike, but down Hollywood Blvd. instead of accross the desert.  :-)

What is this fellow up to these days?

Tom Maddux

Check out this link:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/07/24/Tony-Alamo-convicted-of-sex-charges/UPI-37741248464065/

Can you imagine this man saying from the pulpit, "God is in control. dear friends."

Technically, God is not in control.  I believe God is sovereign and will achieve His ultimate purpose, but God definitely did not authorize this man's abuses of the flock of women that were trusting this man to lead them closer to God.  We all need to be watchful that pastors and others guide by example.  They should not control by manipulation or coercion.

"”The princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; and whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant" (Mt. 20:27).

Passing through

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 12:29:26 pm »

Here you guys go, a two day debate between Harold Camping and James White Part 0ne http://www.aomin.org/podcasts/20090728.mp3
Part two http://www.aomin.org/podcasts/20090729.mp3  and a follow up here http://www.aomin.org/podcasts/ISI20090730.mp3

Camping and the Atonement
http://turretinfan.blogspot.com/2009/08/camping-and-atonement.html
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: