AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 09:54:14 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: raising kids post-assembly  (Read 5247 times)
brian

Email
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:58:26 am »

Meetings, with only new mothers, were designed to teach a system called "mat times" where kids were to be trained to sit quietly for many hours on a small mat for the Assembly gatherings.  Paddling was the means used to force compliance.

this is an issue that was brought home to me this year in a whole new way, since i just became a father for the first time  Grin its been a great experience. and i am so so glad it was not marred by the assembly's child-rearing dogma.

i lived with and watched a lot of families spank the daylights out of their babies and kids every day. at the time i didn't know any better, but now it makes me sick to think about. the goal was to break the child's will as often and completely as possible. whats so tragic about this is not only what the kids were subjected to, but the loving mothers and fathers who were being so harsh on their kids in the mistaken belief that this was the best way to express their love. i could write volumes on how much this twisted unhealthy attitude permeated the assembly on many levels, but i won't. suffice to say i got this from many people even as a young adult "i love you, therefore i must break you. its for your own spiritual good." utter nonsense.

i am glad i had the opportunity to live with and observe several different families struggle through the difficulty of child-raising. i learned so much that is helping me now - the important of consistency, of reassurance, of listening, of taking an active role in a child's development. but also how awful it gets when a well-meaning and loving parent believes they must break a child's will for the child's own good. no good ever came of molding perfect little baby robots, that i saw. it was just a nerve-wracking, emotionally tearing, awful experience for all parties involved.

raising my son has brought a steadily deepening joy into my life, and it has been a beautiful experience. we have been fortunate to have a baby with a generally calm happy outlook on life, who effortlessly sleeps through the night. and without any spankings! Shocked

this article talks about Gina Ford, an author of a child-rearing book that advocates a high-dicipline approach (not nearly as high-dicipline as the assembly, but still rather extreme):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/5253602.stm?ls

and i think they make a good observation:

"How society has evolved over the years is a key reason why childcare experts have become such big business. Fewer people now live close to their families, so someone or something else has to take their place.

But it also creates problems, says Frank Furedi, Professor of Sociology at University of Kent and author of Paranoid Parenting.

With so much conflicting advice from childcare experts parents do not know whom they can trust, but one thing is made clear to them - they cannot trust their own judgement, he says."

marden
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 05:20:20 am »

This issue has been brought home to me also. Just becoming a new father recently. I am in alot of ways thankful for having a family after my time in the assembly. I'd much rather wake up on Saturday mornings to see my daughters smiling face as opposed to rushing off to a tape meeting. I had the priviledge of living with a couple families and can honestly appreciate for the most part how they raised their families. Alot of this "discipline" I saw I wont bring to my home but on the other hand now I can look back and say I did see parents who were patient, diligent and caring and I have a lot of respect for a couple of them. i can honestly say My daughters are perfect just the way they are., They sleep thru the night, are always smiling, wake up on their own and so on and so on. Fatherhood certainly has brought much joy to my life.

My wife and I have relied on advice from our parents, freinds and our instincts as there are so many books and so on.

outdeep

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:17:06 pm »

I was fortunate to have left the Assembly just before my oldest was going to enter Kindergarten.  As a result, I escaped the "raising kids in the Assembly" issues.

My oldest is now in the Navy and my youngest is a Junior in high school. 

When I was a new parent, I heard a message by Jay Kesler on Focus on the Family.  He said that the one thing you had to do to succeed was to "really love your kid".  You can blow it in other areas but if you truly love your child, you will make up for the deficiences.  At first, I thought that was too simplistic.  But, as I grew older, I found the wisdom in that.  If you truly love your child you will find ways (whether affirmling love, supportive love or tough love) to bring them along to where they need to be.

As I grew older, I found that I began to discard the methods and the "how-to" parenting books and think through each problem and issue as they arrived.

One way the Assembly helped me is by a negative example.  I observed a child in the Assembly who was raised very strictly.  Though he was an active, hands-on kid, he wasn't allowed to join the high school football team for fear that he would miss some meetings.  His life was extremely structured.  When he graduated from high school, the kid was completely unable to make a decision for himself.  He tried some things and it was a mess.  Now, years later, he is doing fine.  Nevertheless, I resolved that when my kids get to be high school age, they will have the capacity to make their own decisions.

As a result, I used the high school years to transfer the authority to make decisions from me to them.  They decide whether they are going to buy a car and how they are going to finance it.  They decide whether they want to pass math or if they want to fail it and take it again.  They decide what clothes they want to buy and wear as long as it is not offensive.  Of course, I still decide on matters such as how late they can stay out or whether they have to go to church on Sunday.  But even that can be open to discussion at times. 

My role moved from being authortarian (which works fine when they are small) to provide guidance, counsel and affirmation that "yes, you are smart enough to make this decision". 

For me, it worked.  My oldest has advanced greatly in the Navy while some of his former peers are working at burger joints thinking about whether or not they want to finish high school.  My youngest is thinking about a strategy to take college classes in the summer to graduate early and has been exploring the possibility of culinary school to improve his skills at the bakery he works.

One book I would read is something from the Parenting with Love and Logic series.  I wouldn't use this as your only source of parenting information because I think it is pretty one sided and I don't think their perspective works for every circumstance.  But I think it is another tool in the arsenal and it had some good tips that I found useful - especially in the adolescent years.  In the younger years, I am still more of an advocate of the "I'm God so do what I say because I have your best interests in mind" approach. Wink

One clarification.  If my teenager were in rebellion, that is a different matter.  In this case, the book Back In Control is very helpful.
marden
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2006, 06:27:14 am »

"When I was a new parent, I heard a message by Jay Kesler on Focus on the Family.  He said that the one thing you had to do to succeed was to "really love your kid".  You can blow it in other areas but if you truly love your child, you will make up for the deficiences.  At first, I thought that was too simplistic.  But, as I grew older, I found the wisdom in that.  If you truly love your child you will find ways (whether affirmling love, supportive love or tough love) to bring them along to where they need to be.

As I grew older, I found that I began to discard the methods and the "how-to" parenting books and think through each problem and issue as they arrived."

Dave, thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about "Focus on the Family" in my busy-ness this past year. I remember listening to focus on the family while in the assembly and remember Jay Kesler stament which you mentioned.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: