AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 02:38:59 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: moderating and discussing  (Read 12118 times)
brian

Email
« on: May 08, 2006, 10:22:21 am »

i wanted to join in with a few comments on the recent sunshinePraise adventure. from the checking around i have done, it looks like tom started by locking and then immediately unlocking one of her threads, and then mark attempted to unlock it, and then i think mark locked a few of the other threads, perhaps unintentionally. i think any such action that we take as moderators should be clearly explained and accounted for, and not entered into hastily. i don't want people posting here to feel like they are under the gun, than again neither should it be a total free-for-all. none of the topics look locked to me currently. none of the moderators deleted any topics, that i could tell. if any topics were deleted they must have been deleted by their author.

her posts were a tad erratic. to me, she came across as being almost manic. so getting her into a focused, reasonable discussion was probably never going to happen, but making fun of her spelling doesn't really help things either. i think that was rather immature.

and please, as i've said many times, avoid getting into arguments about who is being more assembly-like. i am never going to come down on someone as a moderator for something as vague and subjective as being too assembly-like. when someone accuses someone else of being too assembly on here, they are already completely on the wrong track, in my opinion. its a convenient label for anything someone does that bothers you or pushes your buttons. so whenever one of us finds ourselves about to come out with something like that, lets stop for a moment and think about what is really bothering us about this person or situation, specifically. i think it will help some of our tenser discussions be more productive. and it might be helpful if you find yourself reacting that way in other areas of your life as well.

just my .02,

brian
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:45 pm »

her posts were a tad erratic. to me, she came across as being almost manic. so getting her into a focused, reasonable discussion was probably never going to happen, but making fun of her spelling doesn't really help things either. i think that was rather immature.
I can certainly understand how someone who refuses to use capitalization in sentences would be offended at the suggestion that people should do their best to use the commonly accepted standards of communication.  We all make our share of spelling and grammar errors, but I think  after a point writing with blatantly poor syntax crosses a line where it demonstrates that the writer is either incredibly ignorant or woefully uncaring.

Of course, this is my generation's fault (the baby boomers).  We raised our children to believe that self-expression and personal choice always trumps societal standards and conventions.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:00:46 pm by Dave Sable » Logged
Jem

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:27:16 am »

Here, here Dave!

I was tempted to put your commas in for you, but I refrained. Wink
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:47:51 am »

I like this thred more better than the other threds I readed recently. I find
it to be very refreshing and filled with in-site. I like to talk about my grammar. My
grammar was really a nice old woman and often made me choclate pudding,
so I hope you all can share some things about your grammars too--it being
close to Mother's day and all. One thing I member from my English class is that
a preposittiin is a word you should never end a sentence with.  Thanks again
and thanks for remembering all the grammars that are so sweet.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:52:35 am »

Brian,

Insert Quote
i wanted to join in with a few comments on the recent sunshinePraise adventure. from the checking around i have done, it looks like tom started by locking and then immediately unlocking one of her threads, and then mark attempted to unlock it, and then i think mark locked a few of the other threads, perhaps unintentionally.  

It is true that I locked and then immediately unlocked the thread.  However, I did it because Marcia was complaining that the thread was locked. I was trying to unlock it.  But then I saw that I had locked it instead of unlocking it.  So I thought the better of it and reversed what I had done.

Sorry if this confused things even more.

Thomas Maddux
brian

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 08:06:56 am »

Of course, this is my generation's fault (the baby boomers).

don't beat yourself up too much dave.  Smiley you can actually blame a canadian named carsten. he influenced me during that most vulnerable phase in my life when i was leaving the assembly. he has a very minimalist approach to design and communication. the fact is, capital letters are not needed to communicate most of the time. and the major challenge in a medium like the internet, where the vast majority of communication is done in writing between people who may never have even seen each other's faces, is to communicate emotion - the feelings behind the words. ee cummings work is a fantastic example of such complex communication. so when i do use capitals, its only when doing so will clarify my meaning.

...either incredibly ignorant or woefully uncaring

wow, my lack of capitals must have been really bothering you.

Here, here Dave!

now THATS funny  Grin
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 04:11:40 am »

i wanted to join in with a few comments on the recent sunshinePraise adventure.

and please, as i've said many times, avoid getting into arguments about who is being more assembly-like. i am never going to come down on someone as a moderator for something as vague and subjective as being too assembly-like. when someone accuses someone else of being too assembly on here, they are already completely on the wrong track, in my opinion. its a convenient label for anything someone does that bothers you or pushes your buttons. so whenever one of us finds ourselves about to come out with something like that, lets stop for a moment and think about what is really bothering us about this person or situation, specifically. i think it will help some of our tenser discussions be more productive. and it might be helpful if you find yourself reacting that way in other areas of your life as well.

just my .02,

brian

Thanks Brian,

I have already posted my apology to Sunshine_Praise on the WP thread. Yes, she locked her own posts' and I tried to unlock them.  By talking with Marcia I was able to discover what I could not by reading her posts and that is that she is a real person who posted in sincerity.

I don't know who you are exactly addressing re. the last paragraph quoted above in  the calling someone "Assembly like."  I did mention to her the error of the promotion of a teaching of GG regarding "working for salvation" which was not intended as an insult, rather it was an attempt to point out to her that "forgetting GG and just pursuing God" will not work if the former Assembly member carries with them GG's toxic theology.

"Making fun" of her was never my goal and I do believe that those that have ridiculed her should post an apology.  I did lose my patience because she refused to respond, and  I became confrontational as a result.  I doubted her sincerity, due to the two modes of expression she used: one was very unsophisticated and the other one was a completely different style of rhetoric and tone.  Huh

Some have called this BB "a sick place" and charged the Moderators as being insensitive, arrogant, controlling, etc.  This may be as bad as calling someone "Assembly like"  Wink, and it does sound like a charge of being cultish, but it is such unspecific critcism it is not very helpful.

What would constitute a "healthy BB?"   

It would depend on one's view of the term "health/sickness".

1.) To me the very first criteria for health is a spiritual one:  This is defined by me as a simple faith in the Gospel of the Grace of God.  This is where God gives us the free gift of eternal life and relationship with him.
       Sickness in the spiritual would be a false belief that changes the above into a system of merit relationship with God.

2.) The next criteria would be the kind of place where the value of one's humanity is very highly esteemed.     Or we could narrow it down to one word "love" (This is the expression of true spiritual belief). 

This is not such an easy thing to accomplish, and as result every single BB, group, church, family, and relationship will fall short often as a result.  Those that expect perfection with others will be disappointed and should recognize that they cannot live up to their own expectations for themselves as well.

I can guarantee as a Moderator/human I will fail often, but what I hope is healthy about my involvement here (and in all of life) is that I recognize my failures and am quick to admit my mistakes; trying to make things right with those I misunderstand, or otherwise offend.  Trying to take the authoritarian position as a Moderator of one who refuses entreaty, and just can't say they're sorry is counter productive for sure.  The needy were attracted to the lowly Jesus, but not to the high and mighty Pharisee.

This does not mean we have to agree with the outlandish, or obviously disruptive poster, by being some kind of doormat for every drive-by poster.  Due to the nature of a BB a Moderator cannot guarantee a "healthy" place all the time.  It is a public sphere and all kinds will wander in.   

I can truly say that I care very deeply for those hurt in the Assembly and hope from the bottom of my heart that I can help those who have suffered as a result of their involement in the group.  The "health" I hope to communicate is the truth of a gift based relationship with God and the resulting blessing to one's life that this can bring.

God Bless,  Mark C.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 06:01:16 am by Mark C. » Logged
just me

Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 09:03:13 pm »

Hey Brian -  Uncle Buck is really irritating me.  I don't mind ignoring his domination of a couple of threads, but my favorite way to view the recent posts is the "last 10" button and he is effectively pushing everything off the list.  Does anyone know why he is posting really insignificant info on his "on this date" thread?  Maybe we could teach him how to start his own blog?  Or is he doing this intentionally to dominate the posts and attempt to trivialize what others post?

Just some thoughts.
Me
Uncle Buck
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 11:10:47 pm »

Hey Brian -  Uncle Buck is really irritating me.  I don't mind ignoring his domination of a couple of threads, but my favorite way to view the recent posts is the "last 10" button and he is effectively pushing everything off the list.  Does anyone know why he is posting really insignificant info on his "on this date" thread?  Maybe we could teach him how to start his own blog?  Or is he doing this intentionally to dominate the posts and attempt to trivialize what others post?

Just some thoughts.
Me

Just Me,

I'm sorry that I'm irritating you or anyone for that matter. I did'nt realize that I was dominating you and if the general concensus is I should stop, I gladly will.
'On this date' is purely for fun reading, with no design to trivilize anyone or communicate some sort of secret subliminal message.
Just Me, I am sorry for offending you and anyone else.

Uncle Buck
GDG

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 04:32:45 am »

Hello just me,

Not that my opinion is worth more than yours, but I rather enjoy Uncle Buck's "On This Date" postings.  Grin

Blessings,
Gay
brian

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 09:41:19 am »

I don't mind ignoring his domination of a couple of threads, but my favorite way to view the recent posts is the "last 10" button and he is effectively pushing everything off the list.

as he said, i am sure he had no malicious intentions behind his posting. he is simply posting information he thinks others may find interesting or inspiring to read.

however, bbs like this are mainly designed for interaction and discussion. granted, there is not a lot of discussion going on lately compared to what we used to have. still, its better to read your own thoughts in your posts, as opposed to soley quoting other material. when people come to the board and find the majority of the 10 most recent posts to be quotes posted by the same person they often get frustrated. this has been an issue on here before. my suggestion is to dial it back a bit, uncle buck, and maybe limit it to one quote every day or so. how does that sound?

brian
Uncle Buck
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:53:47 pm »

as he said, i am sure he had no malicious intentions behind his posting. he is simply posting information he thinks others may find interesting or inspiring to read.

however, bbs like this are mainly designed for interaction and discussion. granted, there is not a lot of discussion going on lately compared to what we used to have. still, its better to read your own thoughts in your posts, as opposed to soley quoting other material. when people come to the board and find the majority of the 10 most recent posts to be quotes posted by the same person they often get frustrated. this has been an issue on here before. my suggestion is to dial it back a bit, uncle buck, and maybe limit it to one quote every day or so. how does that sound?

brian

Sounds good to me...I'll dial it down.

Buck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: