AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 07:21:24 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The First Thing That Didn't Seem Right  (Read 14086 times)
frank

Email
« on: September 20, 2005, 08:45:21 pm »

Marty,

Many years ago, back in the 70's....
Once GG was sitting in my study, and I opened the book to that page and handed it to him.  He said, "I had no idea."  However, since at a different time he told me that he had attended Dawson Trotman's bible studies in Pasadena, I suspect that his statement really meant, "I had no idea I would get caught.".......

Blessings

Thomas Maddux

I didn't want to take the other thread off track, so I started a new one.  Many times Tom has told stories about how he caught George in a lie, or inconsistency.  He claims to have witnessed George abusing others, and numerous times was the victim  of abuse from George.

My  question is how long did you (all, plural) know the truth, and comprehend that something was wrong before you did anything about it, if in fact you ever did anything?

Tony

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 12:06:19 am »

I didn't want to take the other thread off track, so I started a new one.  Many times Tom has told stories about how he caught George in a lie, or inconsistency.  He claims to have witnessed George abusing others, and numerous times was the victim  of abuse from George.

My  question is how long did you (all, plural) know the truth, and comprehend that something was wrong before you did anything about it, if in fact you ever did anything?

Great question Frankette!   Although I believe that Tom M has answered this question in the past, it is a good question for all who were involved in the Assembly and many of the  regulars on here have given some sort of answer to this.
   At face value, I have no problem seeing that people like Tom and Steve and others who were there at the beginning played a role in establishing the foundation of the Temple of George and probably saw many red flags...but maybe more clearly looking back than at the time?   I think that every "worker" should have a list of warnings that they had to in some way excuse or file away for any number of reasons.   I'm not suggesting that this BB is the place to answer (speaking to former workers who see the Truth) but you should know that there are many out there who are still asking why and how and you may be able to help them.   (Actually I don't think that this BBS is a good place to try to have a clear conversation at all!)

Again, that is a very valid question Franks...

Still amused,

Tony

Mia

Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:18:12 am »

Good question. I’ve been thinking the same thing for years. Let’s see......The Assembly started in the early or mid 70's right? So I would calculate about 27 years or so that people knew before they decided to take a stand and do something about it. Wow......a little slow on the uptake ah boys?  Huh But on a less sarcastic note. How tragic for those who had no idea that is was a scam and gave so much just to become victims.
Mia
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:58:45 am »

Good question. I’ve been thinking the same thing for years. Let’s see......The Assembly started in the early or mid 70's right? So I would calculate about 27 years or so that people knew before they decided to take a stand and do something about it. Wow......a little slow on the uptake ah boys?  Huh But on a less sarcastic note. How tragic for those who had no idea that is was a scam and gave so much just to become victims.
Mia

Some of us didn't have a choice: we were born into it. Others of us stayed for a variety of very powerful reasons. And also, a lot of people didn't know about the corruption, and there were those who DID stand up and try to do something. But yes, it was tragic for everyone. The point is, we're out now.
Mia

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 04:41:33 am »

Elizabeth,
   Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that the majority knew. Not at all. Most were victims who truly believed that they were serving god. And as for being born into all of it, I was there, I know. But GG and his wife and both of his sons and most of the men in the inner circle in Fullerton knew for a long, long time and did nothing. In fact, they went out of there way to help cover it up. Why not? It was a money making machine and the things GG did to those that tried to stand up were devastating. But you say people did stand up and we all know they did after the damaging evidence of what George had been covering up was exposed. But before that? For the 27 years of abuse before 2002. I would love to hear about the people that stood up back then.
   Your right, we are out now. Isn’t it awesome to watch prime time and have a Christmas tree, and watch Sunday football live!? But the scares are still there and they will always be there. A part of the pain will always be there. No this BB isn’t the place to find the answers or the healing but it’s nice to see that I’m not the only one still feeling frustrated. And that is the only reason I was moved to post.
Mia
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 07:26:41 am »

All:

Actually, according to all accounts I have seen or heard, the Assembly began in January 1971, although the seminars went back to 1970 (seeing what I saw in the old tape room   Roll Eyes.    So it may have been 32 years of abuse.  Some would say that George wasn't walking with the Lord when this whole thing started.  I couldn't say.

As for me, the first thing I saw that was really seriously "off" was something I heard in a tape meeting in the late 1990s at the Palm Street building.  It was a tape of GG preaching in the seventies (or early eighties, maybe?) and he preached that "for sure"  the Lord was coming back in 1988.  I started at that, but after the tape was shut off, the brother in charge of the meeting acknowledged the "gaffe" but added, "God overruled."    A few days later I read in a passage in Deuteronomy that if a man claims to be a prophet but his words do not come to pass, God's people are not to be afraid of him;  He did not send that man. 

I should have left then and there, but I didn't.  I stayed until the event and a few months after.  There were not many heroes in this whole business.  Those of us who were loudest and most persistent in our denunciation of the assembly system after the fact did not speak up when it would have meant something.

Matt Sciaini
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 08:01:00 am »

Hey Matt:
I have to say though, that you asked one of the best questions when we had those "What To Do Now" meetings just after the excommunication. Do you remember that?

You said: "Ummm....I know we're talking about where to go from here, but I'm still trying to figure out where we were?"

My husband got a real kick out of that question and thought it was one of the most profound questions of the entire meeting. Not to mention, it was pretty hilarious, in a tragic sort of way.

Smiley
Uh Oh

Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 02:17:13 am »

I'll divide this response into two categories.  1) As a youngster who had no choice but to go to the assembly and 2) As a 19 year old who chose to be involved in the assembly....

As a youngster, probably the first real memory I had that I was involved in something that was not normal and extremely bizarre was the assemblies approach to Halloween and Christmas.  I can laugh about it now, but at the time, it was unbelievably humiliating to go to school for the first half of the day on Halloween, then to be pulled out of school minutes before the Halloween party was to begin and have to take the abuse of all of my little buddies that the church I was involved in was a nuthouse, blah, blah, blah..For some crazy reason, George and Co. decided that wearing a costume to a school party and going through a school parade would lead to us some day participating in satanic rituals where we would sacrifice goats or bite the heads off of birds....Kind of humorous how it all worked out.  There were also a few years where we did not celebrate Christmas either.  I just remember very vividly not wanting any of my buddies to come over to my house so I could avoid "dude, where's your Christmas tree" questions.  Fortunately, my dad decided after two or three years of not celebrating Christmas that we were going to celebrate it, but could not overrule my mom on the Halloween deal, which actually turned out o.k. as I probably didn't need all those sweets anyhow and it gave me my yearly dose of humility:) . In a nutshell, the assembly leadership tried as hard as they possibly could to put kids in siutations where they would stick out like sore thumbs...all in the name of "taking a stand", which made me think to myself that this was really kind of a strange deal that I was involved in....

As a college age student who chose to make to be involved, the first thing that didn't seem right was going to California for a seminar, and seeing the house George lived in.  I just remember thinking to myself that for a guy that didn't work, and was always bitching and moaning about how needy he was and how little he had, he sure had an emaculate place.  I remember it being twice as big as the house that I grew up in, and my parents both worked and had great jobs in a market that was far less expensive than in California....We had a heck of a nice place too!  That was the first set of warning bells that went off.  I tried to ignore those bells until a some other really bizarre stuff happened during that two week period that  I was out there.  I came back to Omaha after that trip out there, lasted through about 15 minutes of worship, got up and left and never went back!
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 09:13:34 am »

Elizabeth:

Yes, I do remember that.  I thought that it was actually during the week of praying for revival just before the excommunication, but that period of time was somewhat of a blur anyway.

I still wonder "where I was".  I'm very ambivalent about the whole thing still.

Matt Sciaini
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 08:13:40 pm »

We're talking many years ago, but the first thing that didn't seem right to me was the high pressure inviting after I attended the first Bible Study on campus. Normally, if you attend a church for the first time they will thank you for coming, and might invite you to attend a Bible Study, etc., but they leave it up to you to attend.

After my first visit to the study, I was asked for my phone number(in a very friendly manner--
nothing ominous here). The brother who asked for the number immediately began calling me
and encouraging me to go to the evening Bible study. At first it made me feel good that someone
would care so much about me to remember to call, etc. I went to the evening study, which was
small(it was out in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California).

But this brother, "Stan"(a very friendly fellow by the way), started calling for me to attend other
studies, and I began to make excuses, because I was beginning to feel very "pressured". I remember my mother saying that if I felt so guilty about "not attending a study" something must
be wrong with the group. It was at this point that I first knew something was wrong, and should
have departed, but I began to believe what was being told to me about being "committed" and
I was hooked--although I had a sense of conflict until the final day when I left the Assembly.

I think all of us(or at least, most of us) had this "twinge of conscience" that warned us, but we
didn't take heed. Something about our lives had produced a kind of "need" for a place like this,
but God through our conscience was attempting to warn us that this "need" would lead us into
error.

--Joe
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 09:37:34 pm »

the first thing i noticed as a kid was that people would mysteriously disappear. they were there one day and then poof! gone with no forwarding address.

it really sucked when it was someone i loved. in the self-centered way of children, i took it personally. i didn't understand, obviously, what was really going on. so i just believed what i was told: "they left fellowship." they might as well have dropped straight into hell, that's how bad it seemed to me.

along with my massive fear of being Left Behind at the rapture, i developed a highly-sensitive mechanism for predicting who would leave and who would stay. if i could predict it, i could prepare for it (ie not get too close in the first place). talk about a screwed up way to live.  Sad

the upside is: as an adult i've been able to reconnect with some of those people, and it's been an indescribable relief.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 10:32:38 pm »

the first thing i noticed as a kid was that people would mysteriously disappear. they were there one day and then poof! gone with no forwarding address.

it really sucked when it was someone i loved. in the self-centered way of children, i took it personally. i didn't understand, obviously, what was really going on. so i just believed what i was told: "they left fellowship." they might as well have dropped straight into hell, that's how bad it seemed to me.

along with my massive fear of being Left Behind at the rapture, i developed a highly-sensitive mechanism for predicting who would leave and who would stay. if i could predict it, i could prepare for it (ie not get too close in the first place). talk about a screwed up way to live.  Sad

the upside is: as an adult i've been able to reconnect with some of those people, and it's been an indescribable relief.

Interesting to see how it looked from a kid's viewpoint.

When I left I had thought it through for a long time, and finally made up my mind to do it.  I was convinced that I was doing the right thing.  But I still bought the idea that "those people" had left for the wrong reasons.

Then I started talking to some of them.  I will never forget how the idea that they also had good reasons for leaving "blew my mind."  Wow!  What a change in perspective.   What a relief.  I was not alone...they had just awakened to the truth before I had.

I will never forget what my daughter Joy said to me a couple of sundays after the final break.  We were sitting in the morning service at EV Free in Fullerton, and they were singing "King of my life I crown thee now...".  Joy leaned over and said, "Daddy these people aren't bad like they said they were."

Cry and  Cheesy

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

vernecarty
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 01:38:19 am »

Boy does this comment bring back some painful memories!
The lost friendships and fellowship were by far the most heart-breaking aspects of leaving.
In fact, I do not think one can fully understand the psychology of those reamaining in such a place as this until one understands the fear of lost realtionships.
I think this is the only reason some folk stuck around.
The greatest joy for me was to re-establish contact with many dear friends, including guys like Paul Hohulin.... Smiley
I stlil remember how thunderstruck I was when I heard that Steve Irons had left.
At that point, I was totally convinced that we were indeed dealing with corrupt, deceiving an unspeakably vicious group of people at the top...and I hardly knew Steve...!
Mark Miller also tried to convince me that the destruction of the Tuscola assembly was due to "unfaithful shepherds" like Jim McCumber. Even though I did not have all the details at the time, there was something revolting about his comment.
Out his own mouth God will judge him...
Verne
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 01:46:32 am by VerneCarty » Logged
grown up
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2005, 04:18:15 am »

The first that that didn't seem right. This would have to be it for me. My best freind in 6th grade invited my to "chapter summary" we were best freinds until one day I went to a prayer meeting without him and sensed something wasn't right because I couldn't visit and had the impression he had done something wrong. occasionally I would talk to him but it wasn't the same.

On a positive note I spoke with his mom in July who told me how he and his family is doing so the reconnection is taking place. How funny is this that his wife and mine both have due dates around the same time.
GDG

Email
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 05:35:48 am »

Quote from Verne:"The greatest joy for me was to re-establish contact with many dear friends, including guys like Paul Hohulin.... "

Paul was a brother that was always a blessing to be around.  He was the one person that always asked before using my car and brought it back with a full tank (even if the tank was on empty when he got it).  Thank you Paul.  Your kindness and consideration are still appreciated to this day  Grin

The first thing that didn't seem right to me was the lack of respect for family relationships (or any relationships) outside the assembly. Even though my clan was a crazy dysfuntional bunch, they were still my family, and not to not honor them at Christmas or other normal family events was wrong.  I knew that, but was conflicted because I was being told that it wasn't Christ honoring to miss a meeting just to be with my family.
Gay
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: