AssemblyBoard
May 16, 2024, 03:57:56 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone really ever get beyond "their issues?"  (Read 45465 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2005, 04:01:09 pm »

I sometimes say, and only partly in jest, to someone in talking about a problem they are having:

"Does God know about this?"

It is always amusing to seen the way they look at you with aplomb!
If they get real indignant and say something like"
"What kind of question is that? Of course He knows about it...!"

I will retort with a straight face: 'How do you know, did you tell Him?"

Have you noticed how some people will talk to everybpdy else about their sin and their problem except to God?
I suggested that one way we walk in the Spirit is by being tranparent.
Please note that 1 John 1:7 is not talking about how, we walk, but where  we walk.
If we walk in the light...
I believe this means that it is important to talk to God about your specific sins.
So often in our minds we feel we are unworthy to appraoch Him because of our failure, and we are ashamed to do the one thing that will help us - going to God.
John I think confirms this thought two verses later when he says (as we talked about this in some detail):

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

How do you walk in the Spirit? You have to be transparent.
Verne

p.s. I assumed when Sondra asked me a question about this, I would at least be extended the courtesy of completing my response. That is allright and she is entitled to her opinion. The only thing I will say about her last post is that the call to deny oneself, take up the cross and follow Christ is not the Biblical remedy for dealing with sin's power. The call to discipleship is something much higher...

"If any man will come after me..."  not if any man will overcome his sin!
If you haven't learned to deal with the latter, what are the chances  you will do the former?
Verne
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 06:10:51 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2005, 05:40:28 pm »

For those of you who do not find my slow and deliberate pace "tiring" (it seems as if I recall a request to slow things down a bit  Smiley ), I want to say a bit more about what I refer to as transparency.

I believe its application in 1 John 1:7 has to do with more  than just confession of known sin.
I guess I am something of an idealist and it is truly alarming to me to see some of the things professing Christians today struggle with. Some things our Bibles tell us are not even to be named among believers.
Nonetheless, these things happen in the church and we have to deal with them.
One thing that is most heart-breaking to me is to see the way some Christian parents destroy the faith of their children by their choices. Nothing made me want to change more than a desire to be a good example to my children and by my lifestyle, enable them to think favourably about the God we claim to serve and love.
Not all sins are obvious.
Some people spend countless hours in counselling sessions.
Expend every human effort to change their habits.
Try to implement any and all advice proffered on the subject - all to no avail.

The reason?  They have failed to identify the real problem!

Confession of known sin is the most  basic application of the teaching of 1 John 1: 7 and 9.
What about the hidden issues??!!
How are you going to confess those?
How are you going to deal with those by self-denial?

There are some things that God has to show us.

The word transparency is made of of two latin words that mean "to show" and "through" literally to show through something.
So while I believe confession of known sin is included, I think it goes beyond that.

What does God use to get transparency in the life of the Christian?
I will next tell you why I think Christians that do not spend time in God's Word are in trouble...
Verne

P.S. I don't know about the rest of you guys but the thing that I want to learn from other believers  is what God has personally taught them, supported of course by what Scripture teaches. It is great fun to talk about doctrine. It is even great to parrot great things that others have said.
It is another thing alltogether to share with others out of your own life experience with God. Who said any of this is theory?   You figure it out...Smiley
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 09:45:35 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2005, 01:15:49 am »

The initial discussion was between you and I only and I worked to give scripture and lay out definitions of Hebrew and Greek, etc. which doesn't allow one to go very fast.  I don't find slow and deliberate pace "tiring."  I find name calling such as "stupid" irritating and yes "tiring" when the only answers your are giving are of a "3 pt ministry" style - "sit, stand, walk." 

By ridiculing a person who has a different view to yours, I will only see it as a tactic to "hedge" since your solutions to fleshly sin have been sketchy at best.  I have been hearing a lot about what you think doesn't work but little about what does work.  If you want to control through ridicule and name calling - shoulda caught me about 20 years ago when I was intimidated by heavy-handed people who just told me they knew, but didn't actually prove they knew.

When I want to ridicule someone, they don't have to read between the lines. That's not my style.
I have reviewed my posts to try and find where I called you stupid and cannot find  it.

Advising to be transparent. This advice has a sound of needing to look through a microscope to find the hidden sins of the heart.  We are NOT talking about the hidden sins of the heart when we speak of fleshly sin.  Sensual sin is seen and known from miles around. 

Most people with deep "fleshly sin" have spent a great deal of time desperately talking with God on it, not to mention - pleaded, begged, given offerings, pledged, prayed, listened, waited, fasted, and still have had to return to their old watering holes.   The stronger demons have caused people to even attempt suicide, enter mental health facilities, have nervous breakdowns, lose their sanity, act out in violence toward the people they love the most in their lives.... 

When we get sick enough of the sin AND when we get understanding of how to fight it, we will find God at our side.  Our Will with His Will and strength in unison gets the job done....but still it is a hellacious fight. 

"Have you told God yet?" - Emotions & Conscience.  People who are struggling with their sensual sin are, no doubt, living on the surface of their emotions as well.  Frankly, they are too noisy to really have a conversation with God - at least a two way.  Sure they cry out and moan under the load of sin.  Multiple fears, doubts, guilt, unbelief, anxiety, etc. turns them back into their cycle of lust for that thing that is their particular brand of sin.   And the cycle continues.  As mentioned before, the Conscience is in full force and is wholly uncontrolled in one who is sinning in the flesh.   

A strong case can be made that the more we confront this type of sin, the worse it gets for this very reason.  Pricks from the Conscience strengthen the tyrant and weaken the spirit.  This is why deliverance requires the Will - coupled with the strong Will of God within and supported by the Word of God, living and written.

There is a war within and the man of the flesh is part of the combat.  It is not fought without the Will of the spirit man engaging, however. 

2 Cor 10:3-4  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)  (KJV)

The call to discipleship is also a call to circumcision or the "cutting of the flesh."  That dealing with "the flesh" is part of discipleship.  A disciple is a "learner" in contrast to one called to apostleship.  A disciple is a young one who "imitates" the one he is following.

As tempting as it is to begin with one's experience. That is not the place to start.
The things you cite above are quite serious and evidence of a person (assuming that they are saved) who is not walking in the Spirit. That is the Biblical prescription. I wish I could offer another solution  but I cannot for the Bible does not. What I have attempted to do is explain, in a practical way, what I believe the Biblical prescription is.
My Bible tells me that as a Christian, sin SHALL NOT have dominion over me. Is my Bible mistaken?

Again, I have not said that "self-denial" alone is the remedy to dealing with sin's power.  I have said, as above, it is the human Will coupled with the Will of God (H.S.) and the living and written Word of God as the sword (cutting agent).  Circumcision is the cutting of the flesh.  The unclean part must be completely cut off and it is a bloody deal. 

The sinful nature with "self" as it's root is another story.  That sin must be dealt with through the pivot of the Cross (which also involves the Will, but this defeat is through death of the testator.  The whole man of sin must die in that case.  It's not simply a bloody little circumcision.

That has nontheless been your emphasis. I have repeatedly stated to you that you cannot kill what is already dead yet you seem obsessed with that particular mantra. Show me one verse of Scripture that instructs the believer to kill the old man or anybody elser for that matter.
Furthermore even  if you cannot find such a verse, explain to me exactly how would you crucify the old lfie?
You previous statement about just say" NO" has not been very helpful for the simple reason   that Paul on Romas 7 tells us it is ineffective. If you are  honest, it has not helped you either Sondra.
 We are told to mortify the deeds of the flesh, and how do we do that?
We do it thorugh the Spirit Sondra. We do it through the Spirit!

Sorry if I sounded unkind.  I just don't like being called "stupid" just because you disagree.

I am learnig to be thick-skinned. These things happen when talking about improtnat things. No offense taken.

I have a question Verne.  Have you ever been aware of having had serious sin issues? I will understand if you say, "No."  Some people haven't and really are lost when others begin to speak of their total desperation with "issues" of addiction and extreme lust/sensuality, uncontrolled appetites, and out of control passions.  Everybody knows what it is to be tempted over a period of time, but not everyone knows what it is to have fed the monster over time in defeat until he has become a Goliath and then try to control him and get him to subside from the appetite that has been created.  If not, you really can be casual about your answers.

Are you serious? Are you forgetting that I am a married man??!!   Smiley
The answer to that question is self-evident. Why else would I be talking about this. What I am saying is alltogeher auto-biographical. I did warn you that how God worked in my life may not be the same for others did I not?
I can only share the ways in which He has shown me to effectively deal with my own issues. I believe the things I am saying have clear warrant in the Scripture.

"Confess"
"Have you told God"
"Be transparent"
"Believe God"
"He paid at Calvary"

...................  band-aids.

People need real answers for their demons who have been fed and are fat and happy, feet up on the coffee table and are going nowhere.   Shocked

Now, how do YOU say that "sin of the flesh" is dealt with if it is not through the Will with the help of the Will of the Holy Spirit coupled/teamed up against the "man of sin" himself.  Real life experience is good, but it must be backed up with scripture for me to take it seriously.   So far, it has sounded to me that everyone can just be "gentlemen" about the whole thing.  That's not what happened to me.  Huh 
 Sondra

If somene has gone to God in open confession of Sin, and the situation you are decribing obtains, there is a very serous problem that may be beynd the scope of a discussion on a forum such as this.
Some things are best dealt with privately.
1 John 1:9 is clear as can be. Sin confessed, is sin forgiven and cleansed.

Verne

p.s. It just ocurred to me that there has to be a serious caution given here. The symptoms you describe above are unsettling. We must keep in mind that some problems are organic in nature and not spiritual.
For folk who have dabbled in the occult, a whole new paradigm is in order. I am not prepared to talk about that at this time or on a froum like this
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:43:39 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2005, 01:59:16 am »

Most people with deep "fleshly sin" have spent a great deal of time desperately talking with God on it, not to mention - pleaded, begged, given offerings, pledged, prayed, listened, waited, fasted, and still have had to return to their old watering holes.   The stronger demons have caused people to even attempt suicide, enter mental health facilities, have nervous breakdowns, lose their sanity, act out in violence toward the people they love the most in their lives.... 

Sondra

Have you considered that this kind of behaviour may not be a spiritual issue at all but possibly an organic one?
I am assuming that this is a person who has not been involved with the occult.
Dealing with the flesh is not the same as dealing with demonic forces.
I am assuming that this is a person genuinely born from above.
I have difficulty with the designation "most people with deep fleshly sin"
Is this the same as saying most Christians? I do not put "most Christians" in the category fitting the sobering description you have given above..

total desperation with "issues" of addiction and extreme lust/sensuality, uncontrolled appetites, and out of control passions.  Everybody knows what it is to be tempted over a period of time, but not everyone knows what it is to have fed the monster over time in defeat until he has become a Goliath and then try to control him and get him to subside from the appetite that has been created.  If not, you really can be casual about your answers.

Christians who have spent a long time in wilful disobedience to God, particularly with regard to physical appetite, face a particularly dificult problem. Habitual sins of this kind create deep psychic and emotional channels into which, at the slightest temptation, an overpowering torrent of compulsion flows.
I have seen few cases of those with this kind of problem who were able to deal with it alone.
Sadly, many deceive themselves and are unwilling to become accountable to anyone and so continue in bondage.
This sort of thing does not happen overnight. It has implications that I don't think we can handle on a forum like this. There generally in these cases needs to be additional intervention. I consider this sort of  situation to be the exception. In really serious cases some people face a life-long struggle. The principle of sowing and reaping is not abrogated on receipt of the gift of salvatioin.  I am sorry if I appeared to trvialize this kind of difficulty Sondra. I have seen it, but very rarely in Christians.
Verne

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:31:41 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2005, 03:08:41 pm »

But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

The Christian faced three fundamental problems with regard to sin.
The have all been conclusively dealt with by the sacrificial death of Christ on the cross of calvary.

For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. Heb. 10:14

God dealt with matter of sin's penalty.
He dealt with the matter of sin's power.
He dealt with the matter of sin's presence.

There is an old hymn that has some great theology, but the hymnwriter missed one...

Rock of ages cleft for me
Let me hide myself in Thee
Let the waters and the blood
From they riven side whch flowed
Be of sin the double cure
Cleanse me from its guilt and power.

It is a wonderful hymn. I would change the word double to triple for theological precision, but that would ruin the symmetry of the hymn would it not?  Smiley

We are told repeatedly in Scripture, that there are two divine instruments, as it were, for effecting the cleansing of the Christian from his sin.
Most of us will immediately cite the blood of Christ. It is indeed the most frequently referenced in the Scripture.
There flowed of of the pierced side of the Saviour both water and blood.
I realised that I have been making a lot of assumptions so I am going to start asking some questions before doing so much talking.

What does the water that flowed signify?

On the corss, which of your sins did Christ atone for?
The ones before you were saved?
The ones before you were baptized?
The ones before you confessed them and promised never to repeat?
The ones after you confessed them and repeated anyway?
What about the ones you never confessed?
What about the ones you don't know about?
Which ones?!

Verne
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 06:03:45 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2005, 07:42:27 pm »

The flesh is the door to demonic forces.

This quote is a  real key Sondra. It in a very real way illustrates the differnce in the way we are looking at this issue.
When a person begins to indulge fleshly appetites with reckless abandon, that is only evidence that he has lost another battle. In my humble opinon, the door to demonic forces is not the flesh, it is the mind!
I will await your other responses before saying more...

p.s I recognize some theologians use "flesh" in the sense of a "carnal mind". I am assuming your reference is to sensual and physical appetites...

There is every indication that the definition of "fleshly sin" is broad and includes "witchcraft" for example.  It's ugly, I know, but it is a spiritual problem with a spiritual solution.  It cost the Lord a lot, and it isn't cheap for the sinner either.  It's painful to say, "No" to lustful appetite during the days of dealing with outward fleshly sin.

True. But not everyone is equipped to handle every kind of sin. Even the apostles faced limitations in this regard.
I know my limitations!  Smiley
But seriously, very Christian should be able to look at that list, and by the grace of God declare that he is free from those things...he certainly should not be enslaved to any...
Verne
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:58:14 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2005, 08:03:09 pm »

Do you still want to go on to "water" or do you want to stay here for a while longer?  Seems like your wheels are still turning on this subject. 

Let's take the plunge...water it is...!

Verne
summer007

Email
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2005, 09:09:34 pm »

Just a comment: (I know your ready to take the plunge) It seems to me alot of the problem is Loving  the World from 1 John 2:15-17 The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the boastful pride of life. Its a matter of obedience and choice.You may not indulge in all the fleshly sins but could have a horrific problem being boastfully proud. James goes over it again in James 4 you lust and kill to consume on your passions he's talking to christians here. Also the Lord said if you look at a woman lustfully you've already committed adultry. Okay I know your on another track here, but these thoughts came to mind.  Summer p.s. It also seems like demon possession manifested itself in the symptoms of mental illness, do you think this is so?
summer007

Email
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2005, 10:54:44 pm »

I think God the Father see's us like the "certain man who had two son's" One was really good kept all the rules. The other the Prodigal wanted his inheritance now and spent it all with harlots and riotous living, then he began to be in want and no-one would help him, so he comes to his sences, to go back to his father. Now the Father is looking for him, he see's him a great way off, and runs to meet him. Any parent would do the same thing, restore the lost child, is it fair to the good son (the pharisee) no, but that's God's love to us. Some of us just love the world, and have to be practically sifted as wheat to get the picture. Summer.
vernecarty
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2005, 10:59:13 pm »

Just a comment: (I know your ready to take the plunge) It seems to me alot of the problem is Loving  the World from 1 John 2:15-17 The lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the boastful pride of life. Its a matter of obedience and choice.You may not indulge in all the fleshly sins but could have a horrific problem being boastfully proud. James goes over it again in James 4 you lust and kill to consume on your passions he's talking to christians here. Also the Lord said if you look at a woman lustfully you've already committed adultry. Okay I know your on another track here, but these thoughts came to mind.  Summer p.s. It also seems like demon possession manifested itself in the symptoms of mental illness, do you think this is so?

This is why victory over sin's power is not simply a matter saying "no" to the vulgar. God has to literally transform us from the inside out. The problem we men tend to have with lust is an excellent example.
Some guys think it is O.K to look, as long as you don't touch.
I dion't happen to agree. God wants purity of affections.
You know what? Women can always tell the difference.  Smiley
I could tell you stories...

Is it possible that some folk in attempting to deal with their sin are not so much concerned about sin as that which displeases God, as they would just like to be rid of sin's consequences?
God knows our hearts and whether we are trying to play games with HIm.
It is not His intention that sin be our master. If it is, something is very wrong.
Not all mental illness is demonic in my opinon. I think we need to be very careful what we ascribe aberrant behaviour to. Most times the problem is a medical one and can and should be treated as such.
Verne
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 10:04:50 am by VerneCarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2005, 11:11:05 pm »

Well Verne what does it look like to you ? I would think it would be more subtle, like an angel of light, then the man in the cave carving himself, breaking out of his chains. Remember Christ said, "rejoice not that the demons are subject to you, but rejoice your names are written in heaven".
vernecarty
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2005, 11:16:16 pm »

Well Verne what does it look like to you ? I would think it would be more subtle, like an angel of light, then the man in the cave carving himself, breaking out of his chains. Remember Christ said, "rejoice not that the demons are subject to you, but rejoice your names are written in heaven".

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed:

I am no expert, but you are right in that appearances can be deceiving.
Some people like Malachi Martin, a catholic priest, apparently have special gifts for dealing with this sort of thing and make some remarkable claims about what goes on all around us on a daily basis.
One thing is certain, anything overtly hostile to the Lord Jesus Christ is suspect in my opnion...
Verne
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:18:39 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2005, 11:32:38 pm »

True Verne I think someone can be under testing like Job was in satans hand and God told him to just spare his life, no-one, his wife or friends knew what was going down. And satan activly requested Peter, and Christ said I have prayed for you that your FAITH FAIL NOT. Many people are no worry to satan they just destroy themselves on their own. So your right not all mental illness is demonic possession, some of it is medical, and some oppression, and loss of one kind or another. Think of the subtillity in "the devils believe and tremble"  Summer.
editor
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2005, 12:08:28 am »

True Verne I think someone can be under testing like Job was in satans hand and God told him to just spare his life, no-one, his wife or friends knew what was going down. And satan activly requested Peter, and Christ said I have prayed for you that your FAITH FAIL NOT. Many people are no worry to satan they just destroy themselves on their own. So your right not all mental illness is demonic possession, some of it is medical, and some oppression, and loss of one kind or another. Think of the subtillity in "the devils believe and tremble"  Summer.

Let's not get sidetracked on a discussion about the nature of mental illness, please? Smiley

The issue here is dealing with sin, and thereby effectively getting past "issues."

Here's something to consider:

Salvation occurs the moment we believe, and can never be revoked.
Does the circumcision that Sondra refers to happen over a lifetime?  Can it be revoked?

Those are basically the two questions (asked with different words)  that led me to reject the Deeper Life ideas on death to self, pouring out one's soul to death and the idea that "It is finished," actually turns out to mean,  "It has begun."

Both Sondra and Verne agree that sin is a problem, and that Christians still sin.  Both maintain that people do change and overcome sin....the debate is how and why.

Carry on, I'm enjoying the discussion.

summer007

Email
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2005, 12:19:19 am »

I apoligize for the diversion. ( draw near to God and he will draw near to you)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: