AssemblyBoard
May 15, 2024, 11:59:56 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 104987 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2005, 07:46:38 am »

...and sometimes we even wrestle under the covers without any clothes on. 
Rick

Is that what they call it nowadays?   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

Dave,

I am speaking primarily of moral support, but sometimes a little $$ is appreciated too. 

Blessings.

Thomas Maddux
Undercomer

Hey Tom, I am going to have to pay for two weddings; any advice??!   Smiley

Verne
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 07:52:09 am by VerneCarty » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2005, 12:06:44 pm »

Is that what they call it nowadays?   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

That's what they call it these days Grin

Hey Tom, I am going to have to pay for two weddings; any advice??!   Smiley

Verne

I am not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet, but I predict you will spend lavishly...

My advice: start saving now, and don't let them date until they're 35!!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

al Wink
GDG

Email
« Reply #167 on: December 03, 2005, 04:40:53 pm »

Hey Tom, I am going to have to pay for two weddings; any advice??! Smiley
Verne

Hi Verne,
My daughter just got married on Nov 19 and I played the role of the wedding planner.  It was a beautiful ceremony and reception and I was able to bring in everything, including her dress and mine, for under $4,000.  My best advice is if you love your family and want everyone to survive the blessed occasion, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO PLAN IT ALL!!!
Blessings,
Exausted in Missouri   Tongue
vernecarty
« Reply #168 on: December 03, 2005, 09:49:59 pm »

That's what they call it these days Grin

I am not a prophet, nor the son of a prophet, but I predict you will spend lavishly...

My advice: start saving now, and don't let them date until they're 35!!!  Grin  Grin  Grin

al Wink

Hmmmnnn...! You may be onto something....it could be a bit tough as they are both comely creatures...(like their momma) Smiley

Hi Verne,
My daughter just got married on Nov 19 and I played the role of the wedding planner.  It was a beautiful ceremony and reception and I was able to bring in everything, including her dress and mine, for under $4,000.  My best advice is if you love your family and want everyone to survive the blessed occasion, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL TO PLAN IT ALL!!!
Blessings,
Exausted in Missouri   Tongue

Only four K??! I am impressed!
If I could only find somebody like Hans in Father of the Bride the laughs would well be worth the expense ... Smiley
Verne
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 10:00:59 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #169 on: December 13, 2005, 10:40:22 am »

O.K Folks. My outfit must be a glutton for punishment.
We took on another sill plate and band board disaster.
The termites and carpenter ants have been on a tear.
Again, we are doing it for song (still going to make a few shekels though)  Smiley
It is a strange feeling working in a crawl-space under a few tons of house raised a couple of inches on hydraulic jacks!
What if the darned things give??!! We are using about eight of 'em just to play it safe.
Of course if they gave the whole thing would only drop a couple of inches but what a royal pain in the booty that would be huh?
The real danger is in the things kicking out if not perfectly plumb under all that pressure.
Well. we are soon moving on to bigger and better things - we got an offer in on a couple of killer lots...Yipee!
Verne
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 03:17:46 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2005, 05:37:20 pm »

Has anyone seen the Wtich the Lion and the Wardrobe yet?
For Christmas I am ordering my girls the complete leather bound set from Easton Press.
They will also be getting the recently released  Complete Calvin and Hobbes.
Now I just gotta figure what kind fun and useless gadgets to acquire.... Wink
As Christina said sagely - What is Christmas without presents?
(this was after a veiled threat from her Daddy  regarding some act of misbehaviour)

Verne
outdeep

Email
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2005, 06:53:28 pm »

Yes.  I saw it in Charlotte in a real theater with stadium seats.  I thought the casting was great (kids, witch, fawn, etc.  portrayed their characters well).  I thought they did justice in preserving the story.  Only a few minor differences I noticed but nothing that I would lose sleep over.  They essentially did it well (unlike something like the revisionist Pocahanas).  Now that I am back home, I want to see it again with my wife.

-Dave
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2005, 10:44:34 pm »

For Christmas I am ordering my girls the complete leather bound set from Easton Press.

Verne, I haven't yet seen the Easton volume, but Zondervan's version has rearranged the seven books, according to the chronological timeline of the stories instead of the order in which Lewis wrote them.  I strongly recommend reading them in the order in which they were written, to get the authentic "feel" of their development.  I'm sure Zondervan thought they were doing us all a favor by making it "easier" for us, but that's a big part of what's wrong today. 

The challenge of adjusting to the original order of the books is worth its effort.  If you aren't familiar with the stories, just check the copyright dates in the front of the volume.  I believe he wrote one each year for seven years.  Happy reading!!!

al
Uncle Buck
« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2005, 01:25:14 am »

Verne

Verne,

I took the little Buckaroos friday and we all enjoyed it very much.
Todays film technology and animation was very instrumental in making this movie a success.

Buck
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2005, 01:40:27 am »

Al---

Good point. I remember seeing a packet with the  seven books, but arranged
differently. There truly is a different perspective when you read them in the order
that Lewis originally wrote them.

--Joe
outdeep

Email
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2005, 12:09:07 am »

How did parents with kids at home handle the Harry Potter craze?
We initially did not feel comfortable letting our girls either read the books or see the movies.
We recently allowed the nine year old to read the first two books and we watched the first two movies as a family event (with lots of comments from you-know-who).
How big a potential problem do folks think this series is?
I know the data is showing quite a few young people having an increased interest in witch-craft, spells and that sort of thing.
It is sometimes hard to separate harmless fun and fantasy from that which God clearly forbids.
I bought a little book-let called The Invisible War by Brit Kijos, and plan on reading it with my daughter as it talks about the danger of New Age philosphy and the occult in a way that kids can get it.
I think that as parents we have to find a balance between stifling them completely, and doing due diligence to warn them that there is such a thing as witch-craft and the occult and they are not to be toyed with, even in jest. I drew the line at getting Anna a replica of Hermione's wand.  Smiley
Verne
Hi Verne.  Sorry if I seem to be posting alot, but the topics of late have been interesting to me.

They became popular when my youngest son was at reading age.  My take on it was that the characters were so cartoonish one could not possibly mistake them for the real things.  So I let them read it (and I read them - or more correctly "listened" to Jim Dale's excellent reading) and got by that phase.

Recently, I have been reading a book called Wicca Charm an excellent book in Christian bookstores discussing the rise in interest in wicca  and neo-pagan religions.

Her take on it was that portrails like Harry Potter, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Carmed, etc. do not portray the neo-pagan or wicca world and are often looked down on in the neo-pagan communities.  However, these books often spark an interest in the younger set to investigate the "real stuff" further.  As a result, folks are more open to visiting their local pagan book stores, reading Starhawk, etc. 

I don't know that these books cause the stumble, but adding this to the motivators that cause young people to go into wicca or neo-pagan religions (desire for religion with little emphasis on doctrine as well as much less structure,  feelings that the church does not do enough for environmental causes, feelings that woman's roles are trivialized, experience-based sprirituality etc.) these items can serve as pre-evangelism for their cause as it portrays witches in a positive, attractive light even if what they do has nothing to do with witchcraft.
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2005, 06:45:18 am »

Re: the Harry Potter books & movies:

...How big a potential problem do folks think this series is?
I know the data is showing quite a few young people having an increased interest in witch-craft, spells and that sort of thing.
It is sometimes hard to separate harmless fun and fantasy from that which God clearly forbids...

...I don't know that these books cause the stumble, but adding this to the motivators that cause young people to go into wicca or neo-pagan religions (desire for religion with little emphasis on doctrine as well as much less structure,  feelings that the church does not do enough for environmental causes, feelings that woman's roles are trivialized, experience-based sprirituality etc.) these items can serve as pre-evangelism for their cause as it portrays witches in a positive, attractive light even if what they do has nothing to do with witchcraft.

Dave, I would add to the top of your list above, desire for religion (a cause, or purpose) without personal responsibility.  This is the great common thread uniting all of fallen humanity: denial of accountability to the one personal God (sin), wherein is the denial of God himself.

Verne, I think you are right on the beam.  Just remember as they grow older to respect your daughters' capacity for independent thought-- don't be overbearing in taking a solid stand for Christ.  Flexibility in listening as the young speaker works things out verbally is a good thing, and it doesn't in any way infringe upon one's proper inflexibility in the matters that cannot be compromised.

If I seem to be preaching to the choir, you good singers need to remember that none of us has yet "arrived," and we can all use a good lesson now and again...

To the young mind, and to the older but deluded and immature mind, H. Potter and his ilk offer an oasis from a troubled world and lifestyle.  Such escapism is fundamentally no different than reading comic books or novels that portray fantasy themes.  The important responsibility of the Christian parent (or neighbor) is to explain what is fiction, what is real, what is dangerous and what is forbidden, and above all to present the example of a life lived in the love and strength  of Christ and to pray for the souls of those for whom we are responsible.

al
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 04:00:22 pm by al Hartman, aka Weird al » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2005, 12:11:48 am »

Man I need all the help I can get on this and you are cetainly not posting too much IMHO.
I guess one of things that concern me is that so often the initial interest in things of this sort are entirely innocent.
Should I worry when my nine year old talks about practicing "spells" (learned from Harry Potter of course), or I am I being an old fuddy-duudy who cannot distinguish play-acting from the real article?
I trust God will give wisdom.
I do plan on haviing that talk about what witch-craft and the occult is and the need to be careful.
I think that she should understand for example, that under no curcumstances should she allow herself to be involved in a game with a Ouija board and things of that sort.
I think we need real wisdom in dealing with an issue like this. Thanks for the input Dave.
Verne

Verne,

Although I am a notorious know-it-all, I must confess that I am glad that when my kids were pre-teens the most mystical or occultic films that appealed to kids were the Star Wars films.  The "force" and all that.  I am as unclear as anyone else as to what the best way to deal with Harry Potter and the recent infestation of the TV channels with occultic subject matter.  Most of the TV stuff I would deal with by just not allowing it to be watched in my home.

However, Christian parents are up against two big problems in this area: 1. Your kids will see it at school or friend's houses anyway. In addition to this technology, in the form of the soon-to-be ubiquitous dvd players means that they can watch these things when we are not supervising them by simply borrowing the dvd from a friend.  2. There seems to be a genuine curiosity with occult power that dwells in fallen human nature.  Although you grew up in the Carribean area, I'll bet you can remember childhood friends practicing some forms of occultism.  I know I can.  As a teacher I came across this at times as well.

So, I guess my take is the "Vaccination Approach".  I would warn them that it is evil, dangerous, and enslaving. 

Now, regarding Harry Potter.  In my last semester at Biola I took a course in Demonology and the Occult. We studied various occultic religions, with a focus on Wicca.  Wicca is a religion that tries to tap into spiritual powers and harness them to the purposes of the practitioner.  Some of these folks call themselves witches, some don't.  A few years back I was shocked to observe a group of them trying to hex the United States Congress by holding a ceremony on the Capitol Mall in Washington DC!

Harry Potter is packed with Wiccan practices, symbols, and allusions.  For our final we had to analyze the second Harry Potter movie and identify each individual instance of occult practices, ritual objects, or worldivew beliefs.  Then we had to describe them, analyze the underlying beliefs, and use the Bible to show why people in general and Christians in particular should avoid this.  I got so sick of it that I just quit after dealing with 65 of them.  It was very distasteful to have to deal with that area at all.

So, If I had kids in that age group I would probably watch at least one of the films with my kids.  I would explain some of what is going on, and just flat out tell the children that these practices are evil to the core.  There is no neutral mystical power that can be tapped into for magical purposes.  On the rare, (in our society) occassions that someone actually does tap into spiritual power through these practices, they are fools who are being demoncially deceived and are inviting demonic intrusion into their lives.  The power, when it is real, is demonic.

I would educate myself on the topic, since we are going to have to function in a society where it is rampant.  One good book written by a Christian with expert knowledge is "Witchcraft: Exploring the World of Wicca" by Craig S. Hawkins.  (Baker Books, 1996)

I would absolutely forbid my children to play at being witches, doing spells, or participating in those things in any way. 

That is best I know to do.  If your church has some audio-visual resources available, it might be a good idea to watch a video/dvd about it with your kids.

May God grant us wisdom.

Thomas Maddux

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2005, 02:10:35 am »

Never watch "Bewitched" or "I Dream of Jeannie"--these are full of occultic
references and will totally manipulate and seduce your children's minds. Imagine
bowing your head or wiggling your nose and making things appear or disappear??!!
Uncle Arthur is evil incarnate.

Don't read THE LORD OF THE RINGS or allow your children to watch it--it has a
"good" Wizard named Gandalf in it. Your kids minds could be twisted into making
him a hero in the story for Pete's sake. The Chronicles of Narnia have all kinds of
occultic references and witches too---these things come from the very bowels of
hell my friends.

Especially avoid Disney movies---they have Genies, and wicked witches with poison apples,
and wacky fairy godmothers, and pumpkins that turn into carriages. How horrid is that!!
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST should be avoided at all cost. The main character has been turned
into a beast because of a hex. Kids love the story, but don't fall for it, it can be devastating
upon the minds of children.

if you hear your kids utter the words "ABRA CADABRA" they should be sent to bed without
dinner. Avoid all things magical and imaginary--it can lead to great tragedy. Imagine a story
that has a school for wizards, and has this appalling character called Harry Potter in it? He
doesn't wiggle his nose or bow his head--but he uses a wand and casts spells. This can cause
far greater harm than Samantha or Tabitha ever wielded upon an innocent society. You know
what? I know what the answer to all of this!! Never watch television. It's evil. I'm not sure if
there are many places where people don't watch television,but it must be a blessed place.

Smiley  sorry    just kidding.  Or am I? Shocked
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 02:16:21 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #179 on: December 23, 2005, 02:46:50 am »

Folks,

An example of "good" occult activity in the Lord of the Rings is where Galadriel lets the Hobbits look into the thing that appears to be a bird bath.  She pours water into it and they experience clarevoyance, ie, seeing at a distance.  This is called "scrying" by Wiccans, and has been practiced for millennia by many different Pagan religions. 

Wikipedia says:

"There is archeological evidence that people have habitated Egypt since the 10th millennium, though the official "unified" Egypt is considered to have begun around 3000 BC. By the late 4th century, the "Late Period," one of many goddesses worshipped in Eqypt was Hathor, the Egyptian Sky Goddess of joy and love. The Egyptian priest and priestesses believed that Hathor carried a shield that could reflect back all things in their true light. From this shield she allegedly fashioned the first magic mirror to "see." Throughout Egyptian history, many forms of scrying have been used. Mirror scrying, dream scrying, and oil scrying are among the few.

Ancient Europe:

Around 2,000 BC, Greece, as well as "early" Britain and its subsequent Celtic population, were practising many forms of scrying. The mediums often used were beryl, crystal, black glass, polished quartz, water, and other transparent or light catching bodies."

Thomas Maddux

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: