AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 10:05:01 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 104894 times)
M2
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2006, 11:21:00 am »

http://www.internetmonk.com/index.php/archives/pro-harry-potter#more-280
http://www.internetmonk.com/articles/H/harry.html
just me

Email
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2006, 10:51:01 pm »

Thank you for this link Marcia.  I think I have been converted.
me
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2006, 01:48:02 am »

Marcia---

Thanks for the link. I am a big fan of Harry Potter movies(I haven't really read the books). I
agree with the article in that there is quite a bit of Christian symbolism also evident in the
stories. I think one can go overboard in finding occultism and evil in everything--that's why
I mentioned "Bewitched" and "I dream of Jeannie" below. If one wanted to they could call both
of those shows "evil" also.

--Joe
Jem

Email
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2006, 02:04:58 am »

One worries about Harry Potter being taught in a high school not because of the occult or the witches, but because they are so poorly written. And they are written to a grade school level. They are page turners to be sure, but they are not great literature. They do not even begin to compare to Shakespeare in poetry or depth. They don't even compare to Frank McCourt or Annie Proulx, but I don't think that was ever Rowling's intention. They are entertaining. Like the Left Behind series, they are fast fiction. The points the article makes are sound, but the writing of the article itself is so poor one also wonders about this guy teaching English. The staff at OBI has more to worry about than spells and potions.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2006, 09:09:53 am »

PART i

Folks,

Here are a few examples of the Wiccan/Witchcraft beliefs and practices that, according to the Internet Monk, are not to be found in the Harry Potter books.  I cup/pasted these from a take home final that required the class to analyze "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban" (sp).  The numbers are not in sequence as I picked these out of the pile.

BIBILICAL DEMONOLOGY AND OCCULTISM
FINAL EXAM
SPRING 2005
PROFESSOR K. LEWIS

1. Event: Harry views magic book in bedroom.

a. Issue: Magic

b. Definition: Magic is, "...A general term for arts, sciences, philosophies and technologies concerned with (a) understanding and using altered states of consciousness within which it is possible to have access to and control over one's psychic talents, and (b) the uses and abuses of those talents to change interior and/or exterior realities," (Hawkins, 53-54).  Magic can either be theurgic, used for religious purposes, or, thaumaturgic, used for wonder or miracle working.

c. Analysis: Biblically, the altered state of consciousness entered into in the working of magic is seen as being obtained through contact with demons.  Since demons are fallen angels they are complete spirit beings.  They possess intelligence and will, and can interact with matter. 

The "moving pictures" are presented as being a component of the supernatural world in which Harry Potter exists.  Although the Bible says nothing of such things it does inform us that Satan and his agents can work "great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven and earth in the full view of men, (Rev. 13:14).  It seems to me that if Satan can empower a sign that extends from heaven to earth, he could empower something less spectacular as well.

The Bible informs us that the Holy Spirit can empower miracles and wonders, but these are for the purpose of confirming the credentials of God's messengers, as in the case of  Moses and Aaron, (Exodus 4:30-31).  Other purposes are for the demonstration of the power of God, (Luke 11:20) and the edification of the Church, (I Cor. 13:3-4).

Any seeking for or use of miraculous powers from any source besides the Holy Spirit constitutes rebellion against God and is condemned by God, (Deut. 18:9-12).

d. Conclusion: Seeking magical power from any source is condemned by scripture.  Even though it is presented in the movie as fun, interesting, and useful it is empowered by Satan and his demons and a Christian must avoid it.

2. Event: Harry talks to his pet owl.

a. Issue: Animal Psi or ANPSI-This is the event/issue analyzed in the example handed out in  class.

b. Definition: Animal Psi is a phenomenon where a human has the ability to propositionally communicate with an animal in an intelligent, usually by non-verbal or psychic means.

c. Analysis: Harry responds to the noises the owl makes in a manner that indicates
  propositional communication.  The owl is presented as asking to be let out of his cage.

Biblically, only three classes of persons can communicate propositionally.  God, humans,
  and angels.  Therefore animals cannot communicate in this way, other than a few specially
  trained primates who have been taught sign language.  They, however, are extremely limited
  in their ability to express thoughts, and demonstrate no capacity for abstract reasoning.

If any other animal communicates propositionally, it is highly probable that the animal is
  under the influence of another intelligence. It would most likely be a demon, since there are
  only two recorded instances of animal's speaking in the Bible, (Numbers 22:21-30 and Genesis 3:4-5).  One of these was empowered by a fallen angel, Satan.

d. Conclusion: Animal Psi is a phenomenon that should be avoided.  God could do this, but it
  it is not something we should expect to happen.

4. Event: Dobby causes the cake to rise up and move through the air.

a. Issue: Apportation/Apports.

b. Definition: This is the moving of physical objects without utilizing the normal space/time forces that will do so.

c. Analysis: There have been reports from reliable witnesses that such things can actually be done.  Reports of poltergeist activities frequently contain claims of these events.  Since their cause is cannot be shown to be physical, it must be spiritual. 

In the scriptures events are described where either God or angels have transported people from one place to another.  Acts 8:39-40 describes how the Spirit of God transported Phillip to Azotus.  The prophet Ezekiel also reports such an event in Ezekiel 37:1.  Since angels appear in the scriptures carrying things through the air, such as the scroll in Revelation 10:2, it seems reasonable that fallen angels could have this power as well.

These events are not the normal order of the world in which we live.  Anyone witnessing such things should attempt to discern the source of the power behind the action.  Unless it could be conclusively demonstrated that the power is from God, all contact should be avoided.  Above all, a Christian should never attempt to do such things himself, since the only power available would be a demonic, coming from a fallen angel.

Conclusion:  Contact with these beings is prohibited, (Deut. 18: 9-12), and dangerous.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:11:27 am by Tom Maddux » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2006, 09:15:09 am »

PART II

8. Event: Mr. Weasly enters the house wearing a conical hat. 

a. Issue: Cone of power.

b. Definition: The cone of power in witchcraft describes their method of focusing energy in   order to use it to effect change or mutation in the real world.

c. Analysis: In order to work a spell, witches must find a power source, gain control of it, and direct it to their purpose.  The cone of power is used in this process to focus and concentrate the power.  The cone effect can be obtained by collecting a group of witches in a circle and joining their efforts by a spell, or by the wearing of the conical hat by the individual witch. 

Interestingly, the cone shaped crown and surrounding brim shape is found in Hindu temples connected with the worship of Shiva.  In these temples the lingam, a cone shaped column representing the penis is surrounded by the yoni, which represents the vagina of the god's shakti, or wife.  The symbol represents the joining of male and female energy.  Hinduism accords with the monistic worldview favored by Wiccans, and their beliefs reflect the male/female principle of this form of Hinduism.

The Bible clearly teaches that God pre-existed the universe, (Genesis 1:1).  He created, upholds, and penetrates the universe but is in no way identical with it.  The biblical worldview is dualistic rather than monistic.  Therefore the monistic worldview is false.

d. Conclusion: Contacting and utilizing spiritual power sources other than that of the Holy Spirit is forbidden to Christians.  Christians should view the creation as real, substantial, and good.

12. Event: Hermione uses a spell to repair Harry's glasses.  She speaks a phrase in Latin and 
      then uses her wand to direct the power.

a. Issue: Tools used by witches.

b. Definition: The wand is a short rod or stick.  It is used by witches to direct the energy of
       the spell.

c. Analysis: The theory behind the magic spell is described in #1 above.  Witches use certain
      objects, such as wands and athames, to direct the power of their spells.  In this case Hermione
      works her spell by a word of power in Latin, then releases the energy through her wand.

The Bible does not mention witchcraft paraphernalia in detail.  However, since they are tools
        for sorcery they should not be used by Christians.

d. Conclusion: All forms of sorcery fall under the prohibition of Deuteronomy 18: 9-12.

24. Event: As Ron and Harry walk to their rooms, they pass and greet a ghost named Sir
      Nicholas.

a. Issue: Ghosts.

b. Definition: Many definitions of ghosts have been offered.  Among them are emanations
       from the brains of living or dead people, human auras, the spirits of saved or lost people
       that have not yet reached their final destination, and demons.

c. Analysis: I know of no credible evidence for any of the explanations listed above except
      for the view that they are probably demons masquerading as departed people.  The one
      biblical instance of a possible ghost is found in I Samuel 28: 7-19.  Even here the nature of
      the apparition is not clearly identified.  The facts are: 1. The apparition was contacted
      through a necromancer. 2. The necromancer was shocked at the appearance of "Samuel".
      3. Saul believed it was Samuel.  4. It spoke as if it were Samuel.

Whatever the truth may be in this case, people who report having seen ghosts or to have
       communicated with the dead never report that they say, "Jesus is the Son of God" or
       anything similar.  Rather, they speak of how nice it is on the "other side".  In addition
       researchers have shown that people who are involved in this type of activities frequently
       have UFO experiences.  The messages delivered by UFO beings are very similar to those
       that come from "spirit guides" and ghosts.

If these apparitions are demonic they should be avoided.  At any rate, necromancy is
       specifically prohibited by Deuteronomy 18:11.

d. Conclusion: A Christian should never involve him/herself in mediumistic activities of
      any type.  Necromancy is mediumistic activity.

38. Event: In the library, Hermione consults a grimoire to find a spell to transform a person into
      the appearance of another person.

a. Issue: Grimoires.

b. Definition.  A witch's spell book.  Sometimes a coven maintains a group grimoire.  A
      student of  witchcraft is not usually recognized as a witch until a personal grimoire is
      compiled.

c. Analysis: Grimoires are books of magical spells.  Magic is sorcery.  Sorcery is evil. In
      Ephesus the newly saved sorcerers burned their grimoires, (Acts 19:19).

d. Conclusion: Christians should never work spells or use grimoires.  In fact, they should
       burn them if a real one comes into their possession. It is possible the presence of such
       an object could attract demons or provide them with increased ability to manifest their presence.

I do not believe that Children will become Demon Possessed or Witches by reading the HP books.  However, the message of the books is quite clear: Witchcraft and Magic are not inherently evil, and can even be useful and fun.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
bystander
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2006, 10:22:41 am »

PART II

8. Event: Mr. Weasly enters the house wearing a conical hat. 

a. Issue: Cone of power.

b. Definition: The cone of power in witchcraft describes their method of focusing energy in   order to use it to effect change or mutation in the real world.

c. Analysis: In order to work a spell, witches must find a power source, gain control of it, and direct it to their purpose.  The cone of power is used in this process to focus and concentrate the power.  The cone effect can be obtained by collecting a group of witches in a circle and joining their efforts by a spell, or by the wearing of the conical hat by the individual witch. 

Interestingly, the cone shaped crown and surrounding brim shape is found in Hindu temples connected with the worship of Shiva.  In these temples the lingam, a cone shaped column representing the penis is surrounded by the yoni, which represents the vagina of the god's shakti, or wife.  The symbol represents the joining of male and female energy.  Hinduism accords with the monistic worldview favored by Wiccans, and their beliefs reflect the male/female principle of this form of Hinduism.

The Bible clearly teaches that God pre-existed the universe, (Genesis 1:1).  He created, upholds, and penetrates the universe but is in no way identical with it.  The biblical worldview is dualistic rather than monistic.  Therefore the monistic worldview is false.

d. Conclusion: Contacting and utilizing spiritual power sources other than that of the Holy Spirit is forbidden to Christians.  Christians should view the creation as real, substantial, and good.

12. Event: Hermione uses a spell to repair Harry's glasses.  She speaks a phrase in Latin and 
      then uses her wand to direct the power.

a. Issue: Tools used by witches.

b. Definition: The wand is a short rod or stick.  It is used by witches to direct the energy of
       the spell.

c. Analysis: The theory behind the magic spell is described in #1 above.  Witches use certain
      objects, such as wands and athames, to direct the power of their spells.  In this case Hermione
      works her spell by a word of power in Latin, then releases the energy through her wand.

ROTFL!!!!!

Well done Tom!  I got some great chuckles over this one.

The Cat inThe Hat , by Dr Seuss is another book that would fun to analyze in this manner. 

7.) The cat knocks on the door.

A.)Issue: ANPSI Animal Psi is a phenomenon where a human has the ability to propositionally communicate with an animal in an intelligent, usually by non-verbal or psychic means.

The Cat, who happens to be black, is under the influence of a demon.  Notice how the demon forces its way into the house, given the slightest opening by the children.  The message being communicated is that it's OK to be curious when demon possessed cats, standing over six feet tall knock at the front door. 

8.)Thing One and Thing Two leap out of the box.

A.) Issue, malicious imps, which are invited to wreak havoc by the demon inhabited cat.  Imps, Menehunes, Leprachuans and other small, malicious beings are well noted in many cultures across the world.  These seemingly harmless, yet irritating beings are considered to be stepping stones for getting children to be curious regarding mythical creatures, which are really demons.  The breakfast cereal, "Lucky Charms," is an example of how this type of thing has been brought to bear on the innocent minds of young children, to introduce them to the spiritual world.

9.)The Cat miraculously cleans up the mess, even as the children's mother appears at the front door.

A.) Issue, intercourse with demons can be fun, and is something to keep secret from parents.......

Absolutely fabulous post!  Thanks for your dry sense of humor.

Grin Grin Grin

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2006, 09:26:42 pm »

Event: Hoss Cartwright rides up on his horse wearing the big white
conical hat he always has on. He is attempting to focus his energy in
order to change or mutate the world. Though few realize it, H.O.S.S.
stands for Hierarchy Of Satanic Servants. Though his hat is not truly conical,
it has been modified somewhat for the program. But he is occultic for
sure, just as much as the "Coneheads" are.

Out comes Hop Sing--(and yes, you guessed it, H.S. stands for Hail Satan) with
his long pony tail. Now, the Bible clearly states in Leviticus that a man should not
dress as a woman, or a woman as a man. Hop Sing, in clear malignant violation of
this Biblical law, flaunts this in view of all.

When Ben, Adam(note the reference to the first created being), Hoss and Little
Joe Cartwright ride together they are like the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse, set
out on a devilish trek. Hiding behind a seemingly "nice" exterior, these four are the
epitomy of evil.

Analysis: Both Hoss ,Hop Sing, and all the Cartwrights are clearly satanic indivduals and should be
avoided at all cost.

Conclusion: Avoid all Bonanza re-runs.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:43:49 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2006, 09:55:24 pm »

Joe and Bystander,

Your posts are clever and amusing.  The results of dabbling in occultism all too frequently are not. 

As I said:
I do not believe that Children will become Demon Possessed or Witches by reading the HP books.  However, the message of the books is quite clear: Witchcraft and Magic are not inherently evil, and can even be useful and fun.

A simple question: Is teaching children that there is nothing wrong with evil a good thing?

Blesings,

Thomas Maddux
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2006, 11:02:22 pm »

A simple question: Is teaching children that there is nothing wrong with evil a good thing?

Blesings,

Thomas Maddux

The HP books don't "teach" this---assuming, of course, that they "teach" anything at all. I'm not of the persuasion that Rowling's books are moral tales, I think they are just incredibly interesting fiction. Period.

That being said, the HP books do make clear that magic can be used for both evil and good. There are "bad" wizards and "good" wizards and the magic itself is not evil, but becomes something evil when misused by the wizards & witches. The symbolism is clear: power itself is not evil. But when flawed humans use the power for self-motivated purposes, then it becomes evil.

In an interview, JK Rowling said she made up all the potions, spells, etc. She did not do research on occultic practices. She simply has a fabulous imagination. Sure, the books aren't conventional "literary" material but then again, in his day, Chares Dickens' work was considered cheap trash.

Will I let my children read HP? When they're old enough & have a good dose of discernment. That might not be until they're teenagers.

E.
just me

Email
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2006, 11:59:23 pm »

Tom-
You realize, don't you, that if we use your logic then we have to ban Tolkein and CS Lewis because there are connical hats, wands, spells and magic in them.  And to take it even further, Tolkein has invisible demonic horseriders, dark lords, and all sorts of devilish creatures.  You can take symbolism and infer any meaning your imagination chooses to.  It is what the writer teaches/moralizes/supports that affects the reader.  It seems to me that Rowling is leaving most to your imagination.  If you are prone to see evil in x,y,z then you will.  If you are child who simply loves make believe...then who knows.  Your essays were spoofed, Tom, because your interpretation of the symbolisms were so ridiculous to everyone who read them.

I have been hesitant to have my children read Harry Potter because I was very much fascinated with the occult, ESP and the paranormal when I was young.  This fed into white magic, Ouiji boards etc.  I believe now, though, that much of that was due to a zero Christian influence in my life and bad parenting.  My children know more than I did about the evils of witches, what they are and what ghosts are.  I believe they have the maturity to understand fiction for what it truly is.  I also believe they have the moral (and parental) control to not take it any further.
me
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #191 on: January 05, 2006, 12:45:03 am »

Tom---

Of course I would agree it would be wrong to teach that there is nothing wrong with
evil. But I have seen people get so wrapped up with seeing the "occult" in things that
they even call "Casper the Friendly Ghost" an evil influence("There are no such things as
ghosts, and if there are, they are demonic in nature, so to infer one could be 'friendly'
is a horrble thing to teach children").

Some people get so centered on "not allowing" their children to view things that may
be occultic, and forget to teach them things that are truly far more evil. The Bible says
"The love of money is the root of all evil"--a parent may talk about the evil influences in
"Harry Potter", but never teach their children to be giving or loving, and may actually teach
them to avoid occultism while at the same time teaching them to be greedy.

The same result is found in legalistic churches. They may not celebrate Christmas due to
"pagan influences" and feel they are pleasing God by doing so, while at the same time for-
getting all about love and kindness to others. They are "abstaining" from what they feel
is evil, while at the same time teaching evil to their children in the form of strict legalism
and coldness. They may actually be stifling their children's imagination by not allowing them
to read books with imaginary characters, because they happen to be witches, or leprechauns,
or elves.

Almost every "role-playing" video game has characters with special powers. The character might
possess a magic wand, or magical sword, have powers to disappear, etc. etc. And that's the fun
of the whole thing. I understand the need to protect children--but there is also the case for not
suffocating them by trying so hard to insulate them from the world. They may later turn against
Christianity because they see it as a legal, stifling thing in their lives--especially what they suffered
through as children.

Imagine not allowing your children to watch "The Wizard of Oz", despite it's wonderful message, due to it having "Good Witch Glenda" in it. "There's no such thing as a good witch" you say, "it teaches children that evil can be good". So, you take away the opportunity for your children to hear the wonderful things the wizard tells the Lion, the Tin man and the Scarecrow, and the message that all you need is the love found in your own back yard--"there's no place like home". We can look for the evil in things and surely find it, but we can also see the good, and sometimes abundant good that outweighs any of the evil found in the same stories.

--Joe
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 01:27:27 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Oscar

Email
« Reply #192 on: January 05, 2006, 01:22:22 am »

Liz,

You said:
In an interview, JK Rowling said she made up all the potions, spells, etc. She did not do research on occultic practices. She simply has a fabulous imagination. Sure, the books aren't conventional "literary" material but then again, in his day, Chares Dickens' work was considered cheap trash.

I do not doubt that she made up the spells and potiions.  I also do not doubt that she has a fabulous imagination.  As to whether or not she is being truthful about not having studied Occult practices, I do doubt that.  The reason is that her work contains dozens of allusions to Wiccan beliefs, artifacts, and practices, as well as their worldview.   I doubt that she could have come up with all that accidentally.
Will I let my children read HP? When they're old enough & have a good dose of discernment. That might not be until they're teenagers.

Seems to me that your cautious approach, (with which I agree), indicates that you share my concerns to some degree.  Wink

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

Oscar

Email
« Reply #193 on: January 05, 2006, 01:25:56 am »

Just Me,

You said:
Tom-
You realize, don't you, that if we use your logic then we have to ban Tolkein and CS Lewis because there are connical hats, wands, spells and magic in them.  And to take it even further, Tolkein has invisible demonic horseriders, dark lords, and all sorts of devilish creatures.  You can take symbolism and infer any meaning your imagination chooses to.  It is what the writer teaches/moralizes/supports that affects the reader.  It seems to me that Rowling is leaving most to your imagination.  If you are prone to see evil in x,y,z then you will.  If you are child who simply loves make believe...then who knows.  Your essays were spoofed, Tom, because your interpretation of the symbolisms were so ridiculous to everyone who read them.

1. I do not recall advocating the banning of any books.

2. I am well aware of the magical elements in the works of Tolkein and Lewis.  But I think that Rowling's books are quite different.  In T and L the setting is an imaginary world.  That world is peopled by creatures with powers and abilities different from the real world.  Rowling presents a world that has two aspects: 1. The normal world that the common people experience.  2. A mystical world filled with occult energies and forces that can be controlled by a special class of people who must learn the various means of doing so.   This is exactly what Wiccans believe to be true, and what they teach to those that they indoctrinate.

3. Regarding my "ridiculous" interpretations of the "symbolisms".  In the past I might have agreed with you.  After all, getting one's undies in a twist over a pointy hat seems silly.  But remember, I was not "interpreting".  I was identifying common Wiccan practices, artifacts, and beliefs. 

The assignment was to view the movie version of "Prisoner", identify, and evaluate the occult elements.  Remember that there were all sorts of people who worked on the movies.  The Wiccan elements permeate the movies. 

I had spent an entire semester listening to lectures and reading books on the Occult.  The professor had a background of personal experience in dealing with the occult and with demonized people.  While I was writing the evaluations the I was referring to these background materials as well as sources authored by the Wiccans themselves.  All I did was compare what I was viewing in the movie with what the Wiccans believe and practice. 

You are free to believe that my "interpretations" are ridiculous.  But they are accurate.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #194 on: January 05, 2006, 01:40:43 am »

Just as an aside, but as a warning too---do not let any young ones in your
family watch the Rose Bowl tonight. It's USC vs. Texas. The University of
Texas fans could be a horrible influence on your children. It's really a most
appalling site to behold--scores and scores of Texas fans will be holding up
their hands and making the sign of the devil--they will say it is because they
are Longhorn fans--but we know the real reason--they make the same  hand sign
at heavy metal rock concerts--and we know they aren't making that hand sign
because they're Longhorn fans. Don't let your children become Texas Longhorn
fans--they will soon be making that dastardly sign of the devil every time their
team has the ball, and they will wave that hand sign frantically if the team scores--
God help us. A University of Texas football game is filled with occultic symbolism--
just wanted to warn you.

--Joe

---just being sarcastic about seeing the occult in things.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 03:45:18 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: