AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 04:26:29 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Besides a Christian has Tried to Convert You?  (Read 19066 times)
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 12:36:36 am »

Hi Everyone!

"Dying BB"?  I read with interest Dave M's views, and others, (along with Joe's hamster Wink)

I have been on numerous BB's, most having to do with cults, but also financial one's, etc.  They all are very similar in nature, in that they attract  those with strong opinions; most try to "win" others to their point of view.

All of these BB's go through times when there are strong arguments, and they usually become personal in nature (strong offense taken and then retalited against with a great vehemence).

Those appearing to lose the argument then declare that the "BB is dying" and that they "will leave the BB never to return", unless the character of the BB changes to reflect their veiws.

It is when we get all caught up in "the direction of the BB" that the discussion becomes one of process vs. an actual discussion of the issues at hand.  By continually discussing "why the BB is failing" you are assuring that nothing meaningful will be said.

There is no way to set-up a BB with certain principles, or install a moderator, who will insure a certain level of high character, good thinking, clear writing skills, etc. to a BB.  The sum and substance of a BB is the participation of individuals willing to be sincere, honest, and thoughtful in what they present.

How can this be achieved?

1.)  Ignore, vs. respond via chastizing poster whom are baiting, talking nonsense, or pratting on in insignificanceu]

2) Unless it an essential issue (The Gospel, biblical morality, mistated facts) be humble in how you share your opinion.

3.)  Recognize that we are human and don't appreciate being talked to rudely.  You can be strong in your convictions w/o being impolite in how you express.

4.) We all fail at times to abide by the above, so this means we need to be forgiving and quick to apologize.

Whether "former workers who are afraid to post",or disgruntled present posters threaten to leave, these only mean one thing to me:  "I will not particpate unless everyone does what I want them to do on the BB Cry."   This is like the kid playing ball, who when he starts to lose, decides to take his ball and go home. 

You must expect if you come on a public BB and post that your ideas will be subject to criticism.  If you cannot tolerate this you might ask yourself why you are so sensitive to criticism. 

You must also know that there are those who may ridicule you, not being very sensitive individuals, who will smuggly reject your ideas as being wrong, silly, etc. 

This is an opportunity to set aside your hurt feelings and try to sharpen your thinking and writing skills by producing a thoughtful response.    Hidden behind the harsh tone of the individual attacking your ideas may be some truths worthy of considering.  Try to resist lashing back out of your hurt feelings against those who have dismissed your argument. 

The nature of a BB (whether living or dying) is determined by serving the greater good, vs. the supremacy of my particular views.  I see the "greater view" as discussion which serves Jesus Christ in supporting a strong and healthy recovery of former members of the Assembly, and those from similar groups.

This purpose is not one whose time has passed.  The present (reorganized) Assemblies are moving back to GG, and some of the former members are hankering for a return to the "good ol'days" of the "heavenly vision."   There are those who may be considering joining up and they may be searching for answers as to the nature of the group.

There will always be former members who are trapped in the despair of thinking they have failed God and who will need extensive help in finding strength to live the Christian life.  These may read here for years before being able to ever make themselves known.  For them this place has the potential to be a healing touch.  As for me, as long as I can even reach one of these I will continue to attempt to do so!!

God Bless,  Mark C.
M2
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2005, 05:08:45 am »

David M,

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that Tom is arrogant and former-Geftakys-workers-turned-skeptic cannot deal with his arrogance so they are not posting here, and you really want them to.
It also looks like you "have a dream" for this BB and are disappointed that your dream is not becoming reality.

Now here's and interesting comment, "I am being honest when I tell you that two former workers said they couldn't post because of the venemous crap going on at this bb."
Former workers/leaders and present leaders will always label this BB as "venemous crap".  Pretty strong language for sensitive touchy individuals, don't you think??  Looks like a double standard too.

Anyway, my opinion, I think people like reading this BB because of the drama.  Take that away, and we have a dying BB. Wink

Marcia
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: