AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 10:53:53 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sickening "God Talk"  (Read 14278 times)
editor
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 05:53:26 am »

I'm sure you would of made a fine LB.

ouch.  That's like flipping him the bird and telling him to die....

Some people are so mean! Grin
summer007

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 06:04:28 am »

SLAM! (the funny thing in all of this, is that I agree with about 80% of what Tom posts.)
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 06:06:20 am »

I may have shared this before, but always find it hilarious when I think of it. D.L. Moody
was visiting another church and the Pastor got up to introduce Mr. Moody and to say
a prayer. In high and holy language he praised Moody and then asked everyone to
bow their heads in prayer. He used high and lofty language in his prayer, much as you
mention below. And on top of that, in trying to impress Moody, his prayer became greatly
extended,a nd he continued on and on....

Moody, stood up, and said "Why don't we all sing a hymn while our brother finishes his prayer?"
I can just picture the look on that Pastor's face, and it always makes me laugh when I think
of it. I too remember how before my Assembly days I would simply say "Father" or "God" or
"Jesus" when I prayed. I always pictured Jesus as the Good Shepherd in my mind as I was
saved while reading John Chapter 10. After being in the Assembly my prayers became "Oh
Blessed heavenly Father, exalted on high"..etc..  Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is
anything wrong with exalting God in prayer if one is sincere. But much of our praying was done
in front of others, and many prayers began to sound alike as people copied the way that George
prayed to God. People even cleared their throats the same way George did when he prayed---
it was truly strange.

It was the Spiritual Olympics in the prayer event and everyone was going for the gold.

--Joe
vernecarty
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 07:59:33 am »

Yet God in His mercy seems to have spared you.

Truer words were never spoken.
When it comes to my own experience and George Geftakys and his assemblies, the operative word for God's hand on my life is MERCY!
Yes indeed! I shudder to think of what might have been otherwise...
I know today exactly how I would respond to a man like Geftakys. Back then...I am not so certain...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 08:02:39 am by VerneCarty » Logged
night owl

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 10:26:29 am »

WOW. My husband and I had a name for it. We called it "Assembly Speak."
vernecarty
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 05:23:55 pm »

WOW. My husband and I had a name for it. We called it "Assembly Speak."

I see I stand corrected on referring to you as a "big boy".
I hereby officially designate you Nightowl, "a big girl".
Sorry about my presumption...(musta been them fighting words)... Smiley
Verne
night owl

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2005, 06:28:50 am »

No problem. I thought maybe you were using the all-inclusive "Royal 'He.'"  Grin

hehe!
vernecarty
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2005, 09:17:12 am »

No problem. I thought maybe you were using the all-inclusive "Royal 'He.'"  Grin

hehe!

Indeed! I have also been known to occasionally employ the royal "we"...as in aren't we amusing?  Smiley
Verne
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: