AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 12:59:51 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Purpose of Biblical Revelation  (Read 13040 times)
outdeep

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 05:49:28 pm »

Mark,

In reading your post, I can identify with what you are saying and it reaffirms to me that part of the reason I bought into the Assembly system is psychological quirks within me.

As I wrote in other places, my mother was very controlling and my dad was passive in some areas.  As a result, I live with great feelings of inadequacy, self-doubt and fear when it comes to making decisions.  This is why it was easy for me to submit to George's leadership.  Further, you can probably appreciate how attractive it was to have some mystical "other" speak to me in my quiet time and direct me through life.

"My sheep hear my voice", therefore I can meditate on a Psalm, as you say, and wait for the muse to tell me who to marry, where to work, and what to eat for breakfast.  It was/is much easier for me to do that than face my fears of making decisions.  I've made much progress in this area over the years but like in the movie "A Beautiful Mind", the feelings of inadequacy and fear are often still there - I just have to choose to ignore them.  This is why I have swung over (possibly too far)and see Bible study/reading as a completely objective experience, not a subjective one.

Good thoughts, Mark C.  Appreciate the practical additions as well by Mark K.

-Dave

P.S.:  I hope the reader recognizes that when Jesus made the "My sheep hear my voice" quote in John 10, he was not talking about mystical voices in quiet times.  In a context where there was great controversy over his authenticity as Messiah, he was simply stating that those who belonged to him would recognize his credentials and be his disciple.
lenore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2004, 08:19:01 am »

:)JUNE 13TH: 11:08 PM

HAPPY LORD'S DAY TO YOU DAVE:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAVE YOU READ THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIVE BY RICK WARREN YET.

Here are some quotes from Chapter 1 to 5: to consider:

- focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose
-You were  made by God and for God, and until you understand that, life will never make sense.
-It all starts with God:
Col.1:16:/ How can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

-long before you were conceived by your parents, you were conceived in the mind of God
-You are not an accident
Isaiah 44:2/What areas of my personality, background, and physical appearance am I struggling to accept in the light that God uniquely created in me.

-nothing matters more than knowing God's purpose for your life, and nothing can compensate for not knowing them.
-If you want your life to have impact, focua it.
-You werent pur on earth to be remembered, you were put here to prepare for eternity.
Isaiah 26:3//What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?

-this life is preparation for the next
-when you live in light of eternity your values change
-we were made to last forever
1 John 2:17//Since I was made to last forever, what is the one thing I should stop doing and the one thing I should start doing today?

-seeing life from God's View
-Character is both developed and revealed by tests and all of life is a test.
-The more God gives you the more responsible he expects you to be
Luke 16:10///What has happened to me recently that I now realize was a test from God? What are the greatest matters God has entrusted to me?

Here is chapter titles / of the first five chapters of the PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE BY RICK WARREN:

1. IT ALL STARTS WITH GOD
2. YOU ARE NOT AN ACCIDENT
3.  WHAT DRIVES YOUR LIFE
4.  MADE TO LAST FOREVER
5.  SEE LIFE FROM GOD'S VIEW

-it is not about me
-I am not an accident
-living on purpose is the path to peace
-there is more to life than just here and now
-life is a test and a trust.

The purpose of your life is far greater than your own personal fulfillment, your peace of mind, or even your happiness.

Your birth was no mistake or mishap, and your life is no fluke of nature.

Everyone's life is driven by something.

Life on earth is just a dress rehearsal before the real production. You will spend far more time on the other side of death, in eternity, than you will here. This life is just a preparation for the next.

The way you see your life shapes your life. How you define life determines your destiny. Your perspective will influence how you invest your time, spend your money, use your talents, and value your relationships. One of the best way to understand other people is to ask them ' HOW DO YOU SEE YOUR LIFE'.   Your unspoken life metaphor influence your life more than your realize.

++++++++++++++

These are all quotes from the book, the first five chapters.

ONE QUESTION:

DO WE SEE LIFE FROM GOD'S VIEW POINT?Huh?

Thank you for allowing me to share this here.

Lenore
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: