AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 05:12:29 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calvin and Calvinism  (Read 53789 times)
editor
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2004, 09:38:16 am »

Ps. you are right the brethren do have their peculiar problems, but show me a church with no problems and I'll show you a church with no people in it.  

Of course, that is a true statement!

Brent
Oscar

Email
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2004, 11:41:04 am »

Dear Brent and Tom.
     Hey brothers , please ease up on the brethren assemblies. I have been in one since 92 when I parted company with GG and his oligarchy.  All those that I have visited here in the midwest and in Romania are great places.  There are more than 630 assemblies in Romania now and most have been raised up since 1989. The gypsy believers in the village assemblies are full of light and the love of God.
I have been asked to do reports of my Romanin visits in 4 assemblies in the midwest and they are wonderful places to fellowship. We have an American family from an assembly taking care of 100 children in our  orphanage near Bucharest. Our missionary handbook is filled with God honoring people in the most difficult places in the world.
    George did not learn his contolling ways from the brethren. We don't have any of that at Emmaus Bible Chapel or any of the other assemblies in the St.louis area. George was a controller before he ever met the brethren.
     If you ever make it to st.Louis , you can stay at my home and go to a great assembly meeting with me.
Steve Harris
Ps. you are right the brethren do have their peculiar problems, but show me a church with no problems and I'll show you a church with no people in it.

Steve,

Perhaps GG did not learn his controlling techniques from the Brethren assemblies, although I don't know how you would know that he didn't.

However, the PB assemblies do encourage a mystical Christianity, (as Deeper Life teaching), and that is where GG got many of his ideas.

Click on the Plymouth Brethren link to see where it has led many Brethren groups.  

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Truthseeker

Email
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2004, 08:20:58 am »

Dave said: Logic is fine, but when it brings us to conclusions that are contrary to scripture, then we've done something wrong.

Dave, do you really believe this???  Don't make the same mistake Calvin (and Luther made)!  When the geocentric theory's of the solar system were to be over turned by the scientific heliocentric theories, Calvin and Luther condemned these scientists to death simply because their LOGIC contracted the scripture.

Why do humans have LOGIC if they aren't supposed to use it?

truthseeker
Oscar

Email
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2004, 11:02:21 am »

Dave said: Logic is fine, but when it brings us to conclusions that are contrary to scripture, then we've done something wrong.

Dave, do you really believe this???  Don't make the same mistake Calvin (and Luther made)!  When the geocentric theory's of the solar system were to be over turned by the scientific heliocentric theories, Calvin and Luther condemned these scientists to death simply because their LOGIC contracted the scripture.

Why do humans have LOGIC if they aren't supposed to use it?

truthseeker

Truthseeker,

It seems to me that you should be a little more careful about what is true/untrue.

I am aware that Calvin signed the execution order for Michael Servetus.  As far as I have ever read, that is the only execution he ever authorized.  Servetus was a notorious heretic who knew what would probably happen if he went to Geneva and carried on as he had in other places.  

This doesn't excuse Calvin...but it is true that Servetus asked for it.

I am not aware that Luther ever condemned anyone to death.  He believed that the princes were God's instrument for keeping public order.

Luther did call Copernicus a "fool" and an "upstart astrologer".

This is because Luther's use of scripture and logic was valid, but unsound.

A valid deductive argument is one in which the premises, if true, must produce a true conclusion.

An unsound deductive argument is one which contains an untrue premise.

Luther reasoned as follows:

Premise 1-The most literal sense of scripture is the correct sense.
Premise 2-Joshua ordered the sun to stand still over the earth.
Conclusion: It was the sun that was moving, not the earth.

Now the conclusion is valid...just unsound, since the most literal sense is not always the correct sense.

So, what Dave said, that if our logic brings us to a conclusion that is contrary to scripture we have done something wrong, is correct.

We have either misunderstood scripture, or reasoned falsely.

God bless,

Thomas Maddux
Truthseeker

Email
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2004, 06:25:04 pm »

Calvin condemned Michael Servetus to be burned at the stake because he described the Holy Land as a barren wilderness, which it was at the time.
reference:  Watson &Evans; 1991, the great psychologists: A history of Psychological thought.  NY, Harper Collins.

You sound like an intelligent person.  Did you ever read Elain Pagel's Gnostic Gospels, or for that matter, read the Nag Hammadi Library?  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: