AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:54:57 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Things I Reject  (Read 12971 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 03:39:21 am »

let's just say that from now on, if Verne supplies us with definitions it is for my benefit. Grin Grin

Deal!   Smiley
Verne
vernecarty
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2004, 05:17:58 am »

Verne:  I too love the english language.  And I find it helpful when using words that some (I'm not putting anyone down here) may not know to give the definition.  

Point well taken Kimberley. My mom would smilingly hand me the dictionary when I looked askance at some hitherto unknown expression... Smiley

I sometimes hesitate to define for fear of appearing to patronize BB readers. In some cases though it porbably would be helpful...like I-M-P-R-E-C-A-T-O-R-Y...

IMPRECATE : to invoke evil upon, to curse, (Latin imprecari  in - on; precari: to ask or pray...

Verne

p.s I was smiling from ear when Brent said he knew who Jaco was...I figured the few bassists or jazz-fusion heads reading here would too... Smiley
The best balllad ever written is A Remark You Made...  Viva Zawinul!!  Smiley Smiley

Verne,

My favorite Jaco work was when he was with Joni Mitchell.  I went through a Jazz fusion stage in Highschool, but really can't get into it much now.  Joni's music was much more accesible, and also very complex, with layer upon layer of very subtle, awesome playing.  

Jaco was there, in the background, doing unbelievable things on what could masquerade as a Pop tune!

That's what I like.  His playing was restrained in one way, but never, ever more tasty and unbelievable.  Are you familiar with Joni's band that included Gad on drums, Jaco on bass, Mays on keyboards,  Metheney on guitar and  Brecker on sax?  If not, you should be!  

Check out the live album  "Shadows and Light," which features everyone mentioned above except Gad.

Brent

YIKES!! This thread is things I reject.....I don't reject Jaco.  Bad post.

Oh Yeah! I went out and bought ALL the Joni Mitchell Albums when I heard he had been doing sessions with her. I did not hear him until he started playing with Weather Report...I remember my reaction to hearing him wail on Teen Town on the Heavy Weather album.

HOOOLYYYYYY.........!!!

This was also the reaction of every other bass player on the planet...it is the one fact about which there is absoutely no dispute in the bass playing universe...and this was after awesome palyers like Alphonso Johnson and Stanley Clarke!! He completely dominated the down beat ratings
It was all there...the timing, note selection, the phrasing, that attack, the relentless, unyielding groove... and that mind-bending slikiness of the fretless...it's the closest I've come to being guilty of idolatry... Grin
(just kidding!). It just seemed that playing that good should be illegal!!
The way he died has been a great grief and sorrow of heart to me personally and reminds me so much of my own mortality and the vanity of life without Christ.
It does not seem right that someone with such stunning talent should not be glorifying God for all eternity... Cry

If you can, get some of his early C.C.Ryder recordings.
I found a gem a few years ago that he and Pat Matheny did in Pat's garage called Bright Sized Life. Aahh! What memories!!
Verne
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 05:39:33 am by vernecarty » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2004, 05:40:10 am »

Personally I prefer Joni with the L.A.Express and particularly "Miles Of Aisles"......
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: