AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 09:42:47 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: He who is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at George Geftakys  (Read 26205 times)
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2004, 11:34:21 pm »

Dear Delila  Smiley

Thank you so much for letting us see into your private struggles.  No, you are not cracked and much of what you have told us we can identify with in one respect or another
  I have not found a way to eliminate all doubts or fears re. my faith in Christ and I think if we are all honest we can all say the same thing.
   To share a little personal insight into my own experience in this regard might be helpful to you, and others.  First, I love your poetic style that helps us to visualize spiritual concepts.  I have a natural tendency as well to view things from an emotional perspective and I don't automatically dismiss this as an invalid indicator of reality.  Lord does indeed know that if we had listened sooner to what we were hearing from inside we would not have fallen for GG and company's deception.
   When I read your post I see this same struggle going on in your soul between what "you know" and the great unknown of a "true" relationship with God.  Many of us are/were fearful of trusting our abilities to make decisions in this area, but for me God threw a life preserver via a bumper sticker when I first left the Assembly.  This bumper sticker said, JESUS IS MY BEST FRIEND.  
     In the assembly we were taught that God is the friend of sinners at the beginning of our life with Christ and then He is transformed into an metaphorical iron worker.  In this Assembly relationship we are also now transformed into a piece of metal to be formed by the hand of the Master.  The work of Jesus on the cross is changed from redemptive to a place of forging a new man via the now "anvil of the cross" where we lay awaiting another pounding from heaven via "the hammer of God".
   The bumper sticker I saw made me realize, kind of like the cracks of light you mentioned, that Jesus always just wanted to be my true friend that sticks closer than anyone else could.  As the thought continued to work in my mind I realized that the cross of Jesus was about God reaching out to me, giving to me, bringing me near, throwing his arms around me, and assuring me that he accepted me without question as His own.  Your intution regarding the true nature of love that you see in your relationship with your children is much closer to God's love than the Assembly view.
  I realized then that this is the very essence of spirituality and it has become an anchor in my soul, that stills wonders about a great many things in these shadowlands where we now dwell.  I don't have to overcome all the doubts and fears in my soul, nor even deny that they are there as what makes my life now is the fact of Jesus' love for me.
  This friend does not seek to control my life but to win my affection:  "Lovest thou me more than these?"  Only those who know Him this way can really serve Him.  The peace that came to my soul that day rejects any notion of a God who changes from lover of my soul to cruel abusive master.
                                    God Bless,  Mark C.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 11:38:01 pm by Mark C. » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2004, 12:37:42 am »

Wheww Delila your post again has made me stop and think what do we have here???I again wake up, get my coffee, and try to check recent posts before I hear my kids yelling Mom what are you doing?Huh? Why are you on the computer so much??? Can I define the Assm to them,do I even want to...Their view of God is Pure Un -Warped...How do you begin to tell them ..Well I was in this Legalistic  Church..ugh...Delila when I read this I was blown away..I kept thinking one word GRACE.....but I had more words ,a maze of words, I felt speechless...I felt the Love of God ...and I thought of the well worn poem of "Footsteps " so mass produced and overused...but I thought of the part where it says ...When you saw only one set of Footprints it was then that I carried YOU!!!! It may take awhile to know hes carried our Sorrows and our Griefs ..But he has..I used to say ..Let God do His Work...and he showed me Nothing can separate us from the Love of Christ ..Not even the Assembly!!!!!
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2004, 01:20:43 am »

Many ask, "Why do we continue to post here?  Why do we continue to remain active on this BB when we left the assembly, just put it behind you, get on with your life, etc."  

But for every Delila, who I think so adeptly brings us in to the everyday life of a former member, there are the readers who do not post.  We know there are people who are reading this site, but not posting.  They have their stories too.  They just don't post.  I am always so intrigued when new posters come here and begin to relate their stories.  Always so interesting, affirming to know that I am not alone in my journey for wholeness.
summer007

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2004, 02:28:04 am »

BTW ...I never leave home without a pocket full of rocks...never know when a pack of wolves might appear!!!
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2004, 06:40:14 am »

from Mark Campbell:  
Claiming that you are persecuted is a means of turning the tables from facing questions that you would rather not answer and charging the one asking the question with a wrong motive for asking.  It is a means of avoiding personal responsibility by pointing the finger at the one who is asking a difficult question.

This reminds me of those entertainers who we refer to as magicians, from Robert Houdin to David Copperfield.  Real magic, of course would fall under the heading of "dark arts," and not entertainment.  But these folks practice the arts of prestidigitation and legerdemain (fancy words for "deception").  They use a method known as misdirection by which they create a distraction to draw your attention away from what they are really doing so that you are utterly surprised when they have done it.
     But spiritual life is infinitely more important than entertainment, and the practices of deception have no place therein.

from Delila Jahn:  
I was so happy before I heard about the assembly falling into ruin.  Then I was unexplainably heartbroken at the news of this ‘dream’ gone bad.  Now I’m sick at the thought of Christianity actually having some value and truth to it.  And I want to go back to living with the belief that it was all a sham - that all religion is simply men trying to control others through the idea that they have a monopoly on God.  

It may or may not surprise you to know that many of us on this BB are familiar with all the feelings/viewpoints expressed in the quote above.  In the absence of genuine joy we have persuaded ourselves of our "happiness."  We have known many forms of heartbreak, legitimate and otherwise.  We have dreaded facing the Truth; wanted to be able to believe in the lie.  And, after all, we thank God Almighty for never abandoning us to our folly.  "Great is Thy faithfulness..."

from Delila Jahn:  
Getting promises, now I take issue with that.  “The Lord gave me a promise for you sister...” (in other words, sit back, shut up and listen.  I’m going to be God’s conduit for a minute!).  No way I’m going back to that kind of living, having a bible verse shoved down my throat as a pretext for conformity to the group.  That’s deception, and it’s not even very good deception.  It’s lame.  It’s that lame sheep whose legs have been broken by a ‘good shepherd’ and I’ll have none of that in my life again.  Not ever.

You will be getting promises, but when God has a verse for you, He will give it to you.  When He gives me a verse, it will be for me.  And when this reality becomes clear to you, you will not be troubled when someone tries to show you a verse, whether from a genuine desire to share, or from a putting on of spiritual airs.  You will not be troubled because you will know Whom you have believed and you will be fully persuaded that He is able to keep you and to perfect in you the work He has begun until the day of His return.
     All of your old memory verses will serve you well in the days ahead.  The Bible will be a friend again.  But don't be troubled about how that will happen, or when.  Just live.  Be a Mom to your kids, a teacher to your students, a neighbor to those around you.  Enjoy sunrises and sunsets, listen to a bird sing, watch a bug, read something interesting, marvel at the weather, surprise someone with a card or gift, play some good tunes or a fun game.
     God is on His throne.  He has heard everything you have said to Him, and forgotten none of it.  He will answer the honest prayers (in His own way and time), and will forgive the angry words.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid...

al Hartman

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: