AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 06:25:48 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: God brought me here.  (Read 87602 times)
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2003, 08:32:53 am »

Yeah, well, you better keep that little Buford clone away from my daughter, man!

lemonlime

Email
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2003, 08:34:42 am »

.oO(mwa ha ha...only 40 more...)
lemonlime

Email
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2003, 08:36:02 am »

emily is going to bed now, as she is feeling tired. let's close in posts. just kidding.
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2003, 08:36:24 am »

Guys...I hope you can all agree to disagree at some point and turn to GOD to make up the difference. Most of you are too young and too inexperienced to become leaders right now, but someday...this stuff will be more valuable than money!

lol, i was commenting upon myself
brad

Email
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2003, 08:36:35 am »

Yeah, sure. Scooter...whhaaaddddeeevvvuuuuurrrr  Roll Eyes Caleb has eyes for trucks and bugs only...I swear he is going to be a true Zoologist...err, I mean a Christian Zoologist.

Luv ya man...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 08:40:00 am by Brad Mathias » Logged
Phil Strangman

Email
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2003, 09:07:38 am »

Christian music? Wow, you guys are way more mainstream than me. My favorite Christian band is one called Poor Old Lu. Other favorites of mine include The Choir, Starflyer 59, The Violet Burning, and some Prayer Chain stuff. These bands are way more underground then groups like DC Talk or Third Day, which is why you people may have not heard of them!

A great promise was shared at our prayer meeting tonight.
Matthew 16:18: "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."  Amen! I believe, and I'm sure most if not all of you agree, that that rock upon which the Church is built is Matthew 16:16- "And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."

We have many differences here. But let us remember the rock upon which all of the Body of Christ is built: Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I think that God allowed George to be exposed now and all of this examination to start taking place before the Assembly would do the unthinkable: deny that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Peace
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2003, 09:11:49 am »

Phil,

You bring up an excellent point. It is well documented here that George began teaching some pretty unorthodox things. He always got away with it by saying his teachings were revelatory and the average saint could not understand because they were not spiritual enough, etc.

Who knows how long before he pulled a Jim Jones or something!

How about a list of your favorite bands. I'd like an alternative to some of the secular stuff I listen to. I'd post those bands here but I would be excommunicated on the spot!

Scott
JS

Email
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2003, 09:12:43 am »

One thing I see as a remainder of GG's thinking is the attitude that all we need is the Holy Spirit and the Bible.

Tom,
This is the apostle Paul's thinking.
Acts 20:32  "And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified."

Paul also said in Eph. 3:3-4  "How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)"

Why didn't Paul go around and establish seminaries instead of churches if what you're saying is true?

You also said that Jn 16:13  was only for apostles, "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth."

Who is 1 John 2:27 for?   "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. "

There are many generalities thrown around regarding the teaching in the "assemblies"  I'm glad that you are getting into specifics.  Let's talk about these things.

God Bless You,
Joel
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2003, 09:31:34 am »

Hi, Joel,

I read Tom's post differently. I thought he was saying that in the assembly George fostered a doctrine that stated insight into the scripture is revelatory more than it is inductive (right word?). And that thereby George could use that doctrine to dismiss any teaching he did not agree with, because how could you prove something that was an impression.

At the same time, George ridiculed too much inductive study because if you had an insight that you could back up with scripture then he had a harder time refuting you.

I then understood Tom to say that as Christians we should have a better balance of the two in our studies. Listen to that "still small voice" but be able to back it up scholastically.

I don't think that Tom was denying the importance of the Holy Spirit and the Bible to our theology as a whole, but he was calling into question ONE SPECIFIC INSTANCE where these two things were twisted to meet the needs of a certain doctrine.

As always, feel free to whack away at that, and Tom of course feel free to disavow me completely!
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2003, 09:31:52 am »

How about a list of your favorite bands. I'd like an alternative to some of the secular stuff I listen to. I'd post those bands here but I would be excommunicated on the spot!

Scott
dir snapshot of my christian music directory

2nd Try
Acqire The Fire
All Star United
Amy Grant
Audio Adrenaline
Avalon
Beanbag
Burlap To Cashmere
Caedmon's Call
Chris Rice
Creed
Dashboard Saint
DC Talk
Deftones
Delirious
EarthSuit
Element 101
Embodyment
Enya
Everybody Duck
FFH
Five Iron Frenzy
Hillsongs
Hosanna Music
Innocent Bloodshed
Insyderz
Jaci Velasquez
Jacks Of All Trades
Jars Of Clay
Jerusalem
Jesus Christ Superstar
Joy Electric
Lincoln Brewster
Linkin Park
Living Sacrifice
Losing Daylight
Manic Street Preachers
Mark Schultz
Michael W. Smith
Michelle Tumes
Newsboys
NewSong
P.O.D
Petra
Phil Joel
Phillips, Craig & Dean
Plumb
Point Of Grace
Praise and hymns
Pray For Rain
Project 86
Rebecca St. James
Remedy
Scarecrow & Tinman
SmallTown Poets
SonicFlood
Steven Curtis Chapman
Supertones
Switchfoot
Third Day
Twila Paris
Zilch
ZOE Girl
Luke Robinson

Email
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2003, 09:34:31 am »

Dear Scott,
Well, it's me again.  Just a few things.  I would like to apologize for being a little too harsh in how I was saying things.  I haven't gone through the same experiences that you have and Lord willing, I will never have to.  I asked my dad about your dad, and he remembers those good times.  He is still a friend.  I think a few of my comments were a little backbiting and now that I look back at it, it looks like I was slinging mud, which leaves everyone dirty.  Yeah, I know we disagree about 90% of the time(everyone's saying it) but in the big scheme of things, we're all on the same side, running to win the prize.  Thanks for sticking up for me to the "guest".  And to the guest, I am getting off my high horse right now.  I promise to ride a donkey in the future.  As soon as I get up on that high horse, God finds something to knock me back off.  And I believe, it is you guys and gals, whose urgent desires and hopes are what is going to carry the work of the Lord in this day and age.  Thanks again Scott, for your rebuttals.  And keep writing, so I can give you mine.  But all in the spirit of love.  God bless you and all the others here, who desire to see the Lord's will be done in this assembly and others.  HE IS!  Also, thanks, Emily for understanding my point and trusting that God can lead me.  God is using this website in a powerful way.  Keep up the good work.  

A Brother in Christ(who sold his high horse),

Luke Robinson    
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 09:35:13 am by Luke Robinson » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2003, 09:37:01 am »

A Brother in Christ(who sold his high horse),

there are too many Luke's here Smiley
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2003, 09:51:23 am »

Luke R

I didn't feel you were too harsh. I appreciate you taking a second look at my point. I will endeavour to do the same for yours!

I mentioned your dad because of all the friendships that were broken when my family left the Assembly due to ostracization and shunning (I'm not saying your dad had anything to do with that, I don't know what he felt when my dad left and he was a long ways away).

I understand things are not necessarily like that anymore in the Midwest Assemblies. I'm glad of that. It was pretty painful.

Your dad, my dad, Ken Teaters, Larry Anderson (remember him?), Bob Middleton (Logan guy) and Gerald Mathias (Logan guy, Brad's dad - Brad's a Palmer guy, though) were thick back in the day and that is how the ministry began in St Louis, particularly UMSL. My dad is a Logan graduate and I was born in Creve Couer.

Anyway, that's the connection. So I wasn't being sarcastic when I referred to you as "little bro". You are in many ways!

Scott
« Last Edit: January 29, 2003, 09:55:55 am by Scott McCumber » Logged
Rudy

Email
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2003, 09:57:55 am »

JF

Remedy is Mike Zach sons' group as i recall.

Daniel, David and Phillip - they have a web site
and use one of georges poems. Ran across it
when i did a google search a few months ago.
Is there more than one group named remedy?

R
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2003, 10:03:23 am »

JF

Remedy is Mike Zach sons' group as i recall.

Daniel, David and Phillip - they have a web site
and use one of georges poems. Ran across it
when i did a google search a few months ago.
Is there more than one group named remedy?

you foget Paul Smiley

iono about the multiplicity of the name Remedy, but it is possible.  You were right in guessing that the songs i have for Remedy are those of the Zach boys
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: