AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 07:28:59 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Head Coverings?  (Read 40131 times)
psalm51

Email
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2003, 08:00:04 am »

I grew up in the Catholic church. We always covered our heads - either with a hat, or a scarf, or even one of those lacey head coverings. I used to love Easter Sunday because we always got a new hat to wear.  I remember in high school scrambling to find something to cover my head if I forgot my "chapel veil" (we called them )so I could attend mass with my classmates.  It was not uncommon to see girls with kleenex on their head at mass.  As the Catholic church modernized in the late 60's or early seventies (after Vatican II I think) this practice stopped, at least in American Catholic churches.
Does anyone know why the Catholic church stopped this practice?
As an aside, you should have seen the goofy headcoverings we used in Omaha in the beginning of the assembly...they look like little nun veils complete with embroidered crosses on them...very chic. Tongue
BenJapheth
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2003, 08:02:53 am »

Andrea, you know me well enough that you know I'm a bit of a stinker...I think it'd be cool to see a sister have a conviction about head-covering in a church that didn't have the custom and then for her to go ahead and wear the head-covering.  What would really be wonderful, would be if the church was fine with that and that she was fine with her peers not wearing the head-covering.  Neat double liberty, conviction, and obedience.  Probably too much to hope for.

"Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves."   Or..."Happy is she..."

OK, no more quibbling or fiddling either.  Just thought I'd take a few days to study this before I threw it out the window or held to the practice.

Joe and I saw Franklin Graham a few weeks ago at Moody Church.  What a ministry he is involved in!  The numbers of the potential future death rate internationally are truly staggering.  What are the statistics for this country?

A

Oops, Jantje...just saw your post.  I guess I just wanted to get a clear perspective on where I stand....I'm certainly not agonizing over this.  Haven't read JM's writings on this.  I have had quite a bit of input on the subject, including my best friend from NY.

Eulaha,  no one ever told me I had to wear a headcovering when I first came out to the assembly.  In fact, when offered one I told them that I wouldn't wear one until I could study about it myself.  they didn't have a problem with that.  Of course, if I had come to a different conclusion....

Heide

Email
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2003, 06:10:03 am »

Hey Pat,

You brought up another question. How come women were never encouraged to wear hats as opposed to head covering lacey things that always slipped off?

Heide
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2003, 01:56:37 am »

Look, if the Bible says wear head-coverings, you wear
head-coverings. In our church everyone rides Triumph
motorcycles---it clearly says in the Book of Joshua
"Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the land". I wouldn't be caught dead on a Yamaha---it's just not biblical.
Heide

Email
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2003, 10:36:15 pm »

Hi Andrea,

I think what bothers me the most is 1 Cor 11:16 "But if any one think to be contentious, we have no such custom, nor the assemblies of God." So therefore my interpretation is that it is a custom but Paul gives a way out. Unlike the assembly...

In going back on Sunday to hear Jeff's apology I didn't wear a headcovering. I felt great liberty that I had been set free and wasn't under any kind of law. I guess I viewed my head covering as submitting myself to the assembly.

How many women currently involved with the assembly would have such a great liberty as to not wear a headcovering and get away with it?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: