AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 02:40:32 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blogs you read  (Read 21117 times)
Arthur
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2004, 12:42:28 pm »

My heart jumped when Sun announced that they are still considering open sourcing Java
with IBM.  That would be *awesome* Roll Eyes

You know, I don't think I've ever been quite so passionate about a programming language.   Smiley

but i must say, I immensely prefer perl or python to the java api.....it is amazing the things you can do with languages created by lazy hackers  Shocked

Yeah, like a lot of video games and most shareware.  But they were dilligent in their lazy hacking and made some great stuff.  Those were the days.  Hey, ever play Dungeons of Kroz?  Castle?  Advent?  Commander Keen?  
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2004, 08:45:30 pm »

My heart jumped when Sun announced that they are still considering open sourcing Java

You know, I don't think I've ever been quite so passionate about a programming language.   Smiley

but i must say, I immensely prefer perl or python to the java api.....it is amazing the things you can do with languages created by lazy hackers  Shocked

Yeah, like a lot of video games and most shareware.  But they were dilligent in their lazy hacking and made some great stuff.  Those were the days.  Hey, ever play Dungeons of Kroz?  Castle?  Advent?  Commander Keen?  

I remember Commander Keen....wasn't that made by Epic?  I also remember crystal caves, solar winds......man, that was a *long* time ago  Roll Eyes

--
lucas
d3z

Email
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2004, 09:37:37 pm »

You obviously don't have the right mindset.

However, I am probably about as passionate against Java as Lucas is for it.  Java was very much done by lazy hackers.  Too lazy, and too pressured to get something out before it was finished.

Dave
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2004, 01:46:48 am »

You obviously don't have the right mindset.

However, I am probably about as passionate against Java as Lucas is for it.  Java was very much done by lazy hackers.  Too lazy, and too pressured to get something out before it was finished.

Dave

Exactly, hence why it would be amazingly beneficial to all if it became an open source imperative.  Regardless of this, I would prefer Java over C++.....as it is  a robust, architecturally neutral, portable, interpreted, threaded, dynamic and high performance language Smiley

C++ on the other hand, while powerful, completely obliterates its potential due to the expectation upon the programer to explicitly allocate and otherwise handle, memory.

--
lucas
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2004, 03:59:16 am »

I remember Commander Keen....wasn't that made by Epic?  I also remember crystal caves, solar winds......man, that was a *long* time ago  Roll Eyes

...buncha young whippersnappers!!! Angry  I remember PINBALL, played with a real ball shot from a real pin!!!  THAT was a *long* time ago!!! Shocked

grampa al Wink

Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2004, 04:01:39 am »

...buncha young whippersnappers!!! Angry  I remember PINBALL, played with a real ball shot from a real pin!!!  THAT was a *long* time ago!!! Shocked

grampa al Wink

I had Pong. Then Space Invaders. Asteroid. Defender. Dig Dug. Pac-Man. Then Dirk the Daring (cutting edge stuff - think they used a laser disc or something).

S
Arthur
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2004, 06:49:44 am »

Oh yeah, forgot about the Atari 2600 games.  I still have mine, but I got that after I got my first PC.  Advent is another form of Crystal Caves.  I think I heard of Solar Winds, was it another adventure game?  Oh, and that reminds me of the online text games we played over the modem.  Ever BBS before the internet was around?  I remember a game called Trade Wars that was really fun.  I loved my 2400 baud modem.  Take heart Al, pinball is still around--a bit suped up from you day though.

Arthur
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2004, 10:23:46 am »

Ok, since we are going back.  First computer was an Atari 1600, then went to Apple C (loved Lode Runner and Mr. Robot).  Anyone have a Commodore 64?  I still think Intellivision was the best 80's gaming system.  Also Joust or Defender was the best game in the 80's honorable mention goes out to Track and Field, and the original Street Fighter!

Later,
G
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2004, 08:22:40 pm »

Ok, since we are going back.  First computer was an Atari 1600, then went to Apple C (loved Lode Runner and Mr. Robot).  Anyone have a Commodore 64?  I still think Intellivision was the best 80's gaming system.  Also Joust or Defender was the best game in the 80's honorable mention goes out to Track and Field, and the original Street Fighter!

Later,
G

Heh, I spent 2 hours last night playing my old Odyssey 2 Smiley Gotta love block graphics and polygonal collision detection Wink

Anyway, I *think* i remember my first personal machine being a Color Computer 2 (COCO) (my dad taught my C on that machine), with an Apple and x86 boxes following.

--
lucas
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2004, 01:11:15 am »

My first computer was an Atari 800.  I had to buy a TV to use for the display.  I also got an Okidata Microline 82A printer for it and made my own custom designed printer cable and device driver software for it.

My brother got a Commodore Pet computer.

A friend at work also got an Atari 800 and wrote the Canyon Climber and Mr. Do game programs for it.  I helped him out with the Canyon Climber music and the Mr. Do shortest path maze following algorithm used by the monsters.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 01:18:56 am by Stephen M. Fortescue » Logged
Scott McCumber

Email
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2004, 01:39:13 am »

My first was a Commodore 64 that I ran Lode Runner on and played around with some basic BASIC!

I learned BASIC on some kind of Tandy Radio Shack at my high school.

That was pretty much the end of my computer experience for almost 10 years! I then got a hand me down 486 that I used for word processing, etc., and then I bought a Pentium 75 Shocked Packard Smell.
Arthur
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2004, 04:02:05 am »

I saw a news report about the COCO on the TV show, Computer Chronicles.  The report interviewed a user-group that still uses it.  But I think I saw that show 8 years ago, lol.  Atari 800/1600, Commodore 64, Apple, Amiga, DEC--man those were the days.  Now everyone has a PC or Mac and there isn't much romance in it.  Everything's user friendly with a graphical user interface--kinda takes the geekiness out of it.  Sad to say, I don't program for fun anymore  Cry

My PC history. This is fun.  Smiley
I remember playing Lemonade and Oregon Trail on the Apple IIe computer in Junior High.  

Then I bought my very own computer in the summer of  1990.  It was a PC-XT running at 4.77 MHz--until my sister showed me there was a turbo switch that could be connected.  Then it ran at 8.54 MHz, woot!   I got it for $300.  It had a 5 1/4" floppy and 1 MB of RAM.   I think that price included the 12" TTL Hercules amber monochrome monitor.  I bought a 20 HD for it for another $100 or so.  My sister was a partner in a computer business and sold it to me.  I later worked for that business in '92 putting computers together in the back.  At that time the 486 was king.  A typical server would be a 486-33 with 16 MB of RAM.  

My next PC was a 386DX-20 MHz.  I dont remember how much RAM it had.  It was either 1, 2 or 4MB.  I was so excited when I bought a color VGA monitor for it (I think the video card was a Trident something or other).  I bought it so that I could play King's Quest V-- a very cool full color adventure game.
Also about this time I got my first sound card.  BIG difference over the PC speaker.  It was a Thunderboard from Sierra On-line, a SoundBlaster compatible that didn't cost as much.  

PC generation #3 was a 486 DX2/66 with 16 MB RAM. I remember buying 16 MB of RAM for around $650.  And I bought a 57MB HD for $250.  Amazing how prices have changed.  Too bad it isn't like that for automobiles.  It was an this PC that I switched from DOS (I think I was running DR DOS 6.0 at the time) to Windows 95 in Aug '95.  I remember loading the beta version-- it took something like 30 1.44 floppy disks.  Around this time I got my first CD-ROM drive.  The video card was a Genoa Phantom Visa Local Bus.

#4 was a Pentium 120 MHz with 32MB RAM.  I bought a Samsung 17GLsi monitor for $800 in '96. Still use it to this day.  Got my first 1GB hard drive around this time.  Then later a 4GB.  Diamond Stealth 3D-2000 video card.  

#5 was a Celeron 466MHz, 128MB RAM, ATI Xpert '98 video card, bought in '99.  

#6 was an Athlon 1.6 GHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HD, Nvidia GeForce 2, purchased in '01.

#7 is my current PC, an Athlon XP 2400+, 256MB RAM, 40 GB HD, GeForce 4, includes DVD-ROM and CD-RW.  But these stats fluxuate as I periodically swap parts for work.

Arthur
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 04:03:25 am by Arthur » Logged
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2004, 04:40:31 am »

Then it ran at 8.54 MHz, woot!  

hehe, you said w00t!  Smiley

That's hilarious  Wink

--
lucas
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2004, 05:23:17 am »

The latest news:

Greatest maths problem 'solved'

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

A mathematician at Purdue University in the US claims to have proved the Riemann Hypothesis - called the greatest unsolved problem in maths.

The hypothesis concerns prime numbers and has stumped the world's mathematicians for more than 150 years.

Now, Professor Louis De Branges de Bourcia has posted papers on the internet detailing his attempt at a proof.

There is a $1m prize for whoever solves the hypothesis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3794813.stm
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: