AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 01:54:26 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brokeback Mountain, Anyone??  (Read 10264 times)
Explorer

Email
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 09:40:31 pm »

I agree with what is being said here. All seem to have valid points.

Christians are to be compassionate and not forget that we are no better than others. We also have no place in being militant against sinners in ways that show a lack of reasonable constraint, as has been mentioned here.

But there is also a danger that in our compassion we become people who accept this sin, to one degree or another. And this is just whatsome in the film industry is out to do. They have been working hard to little by little push the acceptance of homosexuality. I wonder who might really be behind that push? So many movies have something in them trying to show homosexuality in a positive perspective and as something quite normal.

The danger that I see in this movie that makes it more dangerous than just a gay movie (and no, I haven't seen the movie) is the message, at least as I see it.

It is trying to say that you can be the most macho guy around and still be gay.

It is also saying that it is OK to be married and have homosexual encounters on the side.

This is what is going to be pushed more and more to our kids. To me, that's not OK and I don't think I will be recommending it to anyone. I won't go out bashing people or picking up a picket sign either.
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 01:04:18 am »

I agree that homosexuality is not some sin greater than all other sins. But I do have to mention that when God looked upon Sodom and Gomorrah he didn't say the inhabitants were sinful. He said that they were not only wicked, but "the men of Sodom were wicked, and sinners before the Lord exceedingly". This is the only place I can find in the Bible that says "wicked exceedingly" concerning a group of people. Perhaps it was because of gang rapes, as they wanted to perform on the angels that were in Lot's house. I have heard homosexual groups say that the sin of not showing hospitality is what God was angry with, but I find it hard to believe that this is what would make one "exceedingly wicked" before God. Perhaps someone else could explain why this sin appears to be greater in the eyes of God, and "exceedingly wicked" to Him.

--Joe
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:07:27 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Margaret

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 04:38:30 am »

My understanding is that the sin God singles out as heinous above all others is the sin of idolatry. This is demonstrated in the ten commandments and in Christ's summary of the law in the two greatest commandments. In the ancient Middle East, sexual immorality was entwined with the worship of false gods and the seeking of "spiritual power" by those means. Thus the penalty of capitol punishment. My understanding is that this is what the men of Sodom wanted with the angels and why God annihilated the place. His insructions to Israel to  completely exterminate certain enemies in battel was for the same reason--they were intensely idolatrous nations, with accompanying sexual worship, human sacrifice, etc.
Oscar

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 11:07:21 pm »

My understanding is that the sin God singles out as heinous above all others is the sin of idolatry. This is demonstrated in the ten commandments and in Christ's summary of the law in the two greatest commandments. In the ancient Middle East, sexual immorality was entwined with the worship of false gods and the seeking of "spiritual power" by those means. Thus the penalty of capitol punishment. My understanding is that this is what the men of Sodom wanted with the angels and why God annihilated the place. His insructions to Israel to  completely exterminate certain enemies in battel was for the same reason--they were intensely idolatrous nations, with accompanying sexual worship, human sacrifice, etc.

While what you say above is quite true, it is interesting to note that in the NT God singles out greed as idolatry.  But, He does not call for the death of the greedy.  He does not, to my knowledge, single out homosexuality as idolatry, but he does say that it is worthy  of death. 

I suspect that the reasoning behind Paul's statement is that man is the highest point of all creation because he bears the Imago Dei, even though it was marred by the fall.  If I am right, this is why he places such a severe condemnation upon homosexuality.  "Male and female created he them".

Thomas Maddux
Margaret

Email
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 11:52:22 pm »

In the NIV greed is listed in Rom 1:29, so I suppose it is included in v.32 where God says that they who do such things deserve death. Aren't we all worthy of death, because the wages of sin--falling short of the glory of God, missing the mark of His holiness--is death?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: