AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 04:05:54 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TELEVISION LAND  (Read 7150 times)
lenore
« on: March 10, 2005, 07:51:27 am »

:)March 9th,

Hello, from Canada. 

I thought I could start a thread on television watching. Your favourite programs, what your hook on. Just whats on the boob tube tonight.

To get the discussion rolling.

Who has been watching American Idol.

What do you think of the judging? Since Canadians cant vote in American Idol, do you think the right choices have been made for the top 12.

I like the Amazing Race.  Did you watch the last one, with that couple whose husband was outright abusive towards his wife?

Who going to be honest about how much television time they spend?

American Idol anyone?Huh

Lenore
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 11:40:40 am »

We had a humongous 64" screen projection TV.  I watched it day & night.  I won't tell you the names of the programs because they weren't spiritual and it would be carnal of me to mention them.  When I got delivered from bondage to the TV, I staged a TV burning in front of our house as a testimony to the neighbors that TV is of the devil.  I know that it made quite an impression, because three fire trucks showed up within ten minutes, and the State Mental Health Agency people were there within the hour.

Now I have found that the empty space in my entertainment center is just the right size that if I scrunch up real tightly I can cram myself into it in a kneeling position and pray there for hours, until the nice orderlies pull me out, give me my thorazine and return me to my upholstered room.  I am very happy.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 01:54:04 am by al Hartman » Logged
lenore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 06:31:45 am »

Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided :-*March 10th.

It is Thursday, since my coughing is keeping me away from my Mood Disorder Group, I am missing my circle of life bear, to say that how my week was like. It is has been better than last week, were I couldnt lift my head off my pillow, but this week is still keeping me confined to the house with this coughing. Since I didnt want to give my germs to the others in the small lounge room we meet in, I choose to stay at home and curl up with my favourite companions.
My dog Missy, my cat Percy and my TV.

I just finish watching Jeopardy.  I do not like the OC, so I am visiting with you guys until CSI is on.

I like Jeopardy, especially now that the ULTIMATE TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS is on.

I used to have Cable, I used to have Satellite. Since I cannot afford this luxury anymore, I am limited to one channel that is willing to come in.  I do not even have rabbit ears. So my television is run on a wire coat hanger with tin foil around it.

The only station I get is CTV. My favourite show was Star Trek the Next Generation and Voyageur. I used to watch these reruns daily.  I have not seen a Star Trek episode for over a year now.

I have gotten used to the programs on CTV, because I have no choice.
I like CSI, CSI Miami, CSI New York.  I happen to like Medical Investigation as well.
It is science, medicine, and solving a mystery.

I HAVE A QUESTION: WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVOUR COMMERICALS OR YOUR MOST HATED COMMERICALS. Some of the commericals are cute. And some of the commerical are worse than any programs that I watch.

My parents got their first television, the only television on the hill of Braeside at the time.
Just a few weeks before I was born. Apparently my father bought it because he thought my mother needed something to do being confined with me.  My mother always claims she is not a big fan of the television.  The only program on television for her is BASEBALL.
The only good thing on TV is from April to October , when she can get her BASEBALL GAMES.
Yes, my mother is a big Ball Fan.
lenore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 12:01:16 am »

:)March 12

I was in the bathroom, that is place where I tend to do alot of my thinking and the tub seems to be the place where I do alot of my talking to God. Quite often it is a one side conversation.

I was thinking on some of the television shows that are on.

On new show is called Medium, about a District Attorney Assistant who helps solve murders or cases, that involved communicating to the one who died, through dreams or face to face encounters.

Another show here in Canada, is called Creepy Canada, a documentary about haunted places in Canada. One particular is the old jail house in Ottawa, which used to be place where they hung criminals.  It is now a youth hostel.   It talks to people who have seen ghosts, or strange things that move by themselves. etc.

I watch a recent episode of Law and Order SUV. Where a Pyhsic(sp),  where the psychologist was showing how these frauds learn there trade at conning people, There is actually a web course on how to read people face, even the tiniest muscle that will move, and what it means.

You know something , I use to say that this is not true, I dont believe in it. Yet as I read through the Bible, why did God warn us against it.

King Saul consulted a witch, who brought Samuel back to life to condemn Saul and warn him about Saul own death.

Jesus talk to spirits in the man at the caves and cast them into Pigs. Also he warn of the man who was sweep clean spiritually, and didnt fill his spirit up, then the exile spirit returns and brought his friends.

So there are biblical basis for this.

You hear that these people who claim to have that gift. And most claim that the gift they have his from God.  In television they are good people, trying to be good, and do good for their society.

Even the television show Charms, about three witch sisters, who is on the good side and their jobs is to destroy the evil demons who are out to possess the world.

It is no wonder kids today, do not know what is right from wrong, when society is using things that God told us to avoid, as a tool for Good vs Evil.

Maybe I can start a discussion here if you are so inclined to participate.
Has anyone seen these shows above that I have mention. For those in the States I am sure you have not seen Creepy Canada, but you might have a similar show about places in the States that are consider haunted.

THE QUESTION FOR THE DAY, DO YOU BELIEVE IN THIS. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS TOPIC.

I am just looking at a conversational debate here, because television and other media is bombbarding people with this, so it is  in my opinion , to be sure of our own believes in this, so when we are ask for an account on this , we will be able to answer. I am also looking for help in my own physic on this issue. Undecided

JUST THINKING OUT LOUD ....

Lenore

moonflower2

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 01:36:41 am »

Hi Lenore,

I saw part of that "Medium" show, too. My first thought, too,  was that it is presented by the enemy to draw people into accepting that kind of behavior as good.

We have designated haunted places in the Chicago area, too. There are books out that describe where they are and what goes on there now and what happened in the past that seems to have caused the erie things that go on there now.

In the Samuel episode in the Bible, the medium called up Samuel's spirit, and I don't think anyone but her saw Samuel. At the same time Samuel came up, she recognized Saul as Saul, who had come to her in disguise. Samuel then communicated with Saul.

Remember Ouija boards? I think they are still around, but they are the same principle at work: Communications with the spirit world, which God forbids. All of that stuff is really addicting  in its draw and seems to have a devastating affect on the lives of those who get involved with it.

al Hartman

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 05:34:01 am »

TV & Movies: are they inherently bad?  No.  They just are what they are, technological phenomena.
What can make them dangerous is the same thing that makes anything else dangerous:  What sinful men do with them, both in creating them and in indulging in them.  But probably we have all had movies and TV present us with wonderfully educational and aesthetically pleasurable audiovisual experiences from which we came away feeling edified & glad for having watched.  Is there a clear-cut delineation between what is good for us and what is "bad?"

When sin entered the human race, along with the loss of God-likeness and separation from intimacy with God, man suffered the invasion of his soul by an element that is diametrically opposed to God, a veritable rebellion against all that God is and all that represents Him.  This element, sin itself, is at constant odds with all that is good, holy, righteous, just...  It manifests itself in everything.  Look at marketing/advertising-- what could be more godless than the sensual appeals to sell worldly products and services?  It's all about self indulgence.

Does that mean that advertising and/or marketing are evil?  No.  They are also used to promote godly materials such as Bibles, books, tapes and DVDs, and services such as church gatherings, Bible colleges and Christian broadcasting.  Again, how can we differentiate-- what is acceptable and what unacceptable?

The answer to your wondering, Lenore, is twofold:

1.] TV and movies can be a powerful force to keep the unsaved away from Christ.  Not only do those stories about "good" witches, demons, lawbreakers etc. appeal to "good-hearted" viewers, but there is a growing affinity for the evil or "dark" side.  Writings of such authors as Clive Barker, Ann Rice, and Stephen King which offer an appealing side of evil are immensely popular, and are often converted into Movies for the big screen or for TV.  If these have an attraction for serious Christians, it is probably through a fascination with the hi-tech computer-generated special visual and sound effects.

2.] The far more subtle influence comes from the "feel good" entertainment.  The subtlety lies in the gospel-less happy ending which leads one to accept that everything can work out OK without Jesus Christ.  This has made huge incursions into the church,  which has long harbored a faction which practices a mandatory (and powerless) form of "holiness" forbidding all movies and TV (with which I expect we are all familiar to some degree).  The other, more recent extreme is a permissive view of entertainment which allows that all "clean" forms of diversion are OK.  Much uncleanness has crept into what is considered "clean" over the last several decades in the forms of sexual promiscuity, vile language, graphic violence and the general demise of sound moral values.  Society considers this the evolution of "maturity."

The bottom line is for each of us to make our decisions before our Lord, in light of His Word and the Holy Spirit's conviction of our hearts and minds.  Not only can none of us decide such matters for another, but we dare not think that our personal decision is "better" than someone else's.  (Again, I suspect we have all experienced the repercussions of such thinking.)

Some of my personal experiences:  I am a softy.  Bambi has always made me cry.  Dickens' A Christmas Carol, It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle On 34th Street (or whatever street it was), and even the Twilight Zone's Christmas program starring Art Carney, bring a huge lump to my throat and tears to my eyes.  Of my many favorite TV series over the years, Touched By an Angel, Christy, and many of the Hallmark Hall of Fame movies have affected me similarly.

One day it occurred to me to wonder why do I enjoy such experiences (I really get into, or experience, what I watch) so much?  I studied my own responses to various types of entertainment fare for some time (and yes, I asked the Lord for guidance and to teach me) before beginning to form some opinions.  Some of my conclusions:

First, just about any and all fictional movies and TV are, for me, pure escapism.  Yes, I've learned a lot about human nature from them, just as I have from reading novels.  Nothing gets into human nature like an author's development of characters.  But I don't watch fictional fare with the goal of education-- it's just a fortunate side effect.  I go there to escape reality, to enter into a make-believe world for an hour or two & just forget about all responsibility, just as I did as a kid.

Because I come from a dysfunctional household, part of a scattered & disassociated family, I have never had a sense of heritage or "belonging," so anything along the lines of familial tradition or heritage appeals to me, from Fiddler On the Roof (about my own forebears) to The Godfather, to Roots.

Adventure, from westerns to outer space, appeals to the kid in me, and stuff like Independence Day or MIB arouses some gut-instinct machismo to want to "kick some alien butt."

Mysteries, whether police detectives, spy stories, or courtroom drama, I find mentally challenging and stimulating.

Comedies, ranging from Arsenic and Old Lace to The Gods Must Be Crazy (I & II) and The Princess Bride, need no explanation: they make me laugh!

The likes of X-Men, Daredevil, Spiderman, appeal to my comicbook-reading childhood.  Likewise animation.

Gods and Generals, Glory, Schindler's List are dramatic peeeks into history.

Besides the great special effects, LOTR demonstrates a great heroic struggle of Good vs Evil.

Then, of course, there are all the warm-fuzzies such as I listed above as favorite tear-jerkers.  Include Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail, Tuesdays With Morrie, Big Fish, etc.

I used to spend a lot of time discussing movies & TV with others.  Everything about the art: acting, directing, writing, costumes & set, cinematography & lighting, popcorn, you-name-it...

One day I realized what every title I have listed above has in common:  Absolutely no (correct) mention of Jesus Christ.  Now, this doesn't have anything to do with their qualities as movies & TV productions because they were never intended as vehicles for the gospel.  BUT it has everything to do with my attitude toward them and my discussion of them, because I AM intended to be a vessel for the gospel-- possibly the only one some people will ever see.  If I look at and discuss these productions no differently than the unsaved do, what good am I to them, or for that matter to Christ, during those encounters.  This is not about what I watch or about what I say, but about what is in my heart.

Can I imagine Jesus sitting in the seat next to mine, and figuratively turn to Him and say, "Are you enjoying this (gratuitous bloodshed, adultery, profanity, etc.) Lord?"  I am to love neither the world nor the things of the world because He doesn't love them.  After considerable prayer (that word again!) I concluded that God had no hard, fast rule for me about entertainment-- He just wants me to love Him and walk humbly in His presence.  Humbly means willing to sacrifice my desires if they should conflict with His.  

Good relationships may include discussions of films & TV.  The important thing is to not lose sight of Christ, just as in any other situation.  (Oh, yeah-- I'm pretty "normal" in the respect that I often go for long periods of time without a conscious thought about God.  But that is not my goal, and when I realize it has happened I turn quickly back to Him.)  

So I can see whatever I want to see, but my wants are changing-- I'm not "having to do without" so much as simply not wanting the same things as before.  (I think that's supposed to happen in the Christian life...  And I can discuss every phase of TV & film production at a level comprehensible to my unsaved chat-mate.  But when we get to "What was the point of the show?" I want to be focused on the truth.  LOTR demonstrates a victory of Good over Evil, but without a Savior, and Touched By an Angel leads people to "God," but not by way of Christ.

This subject may prove to be a hot potato, but you wanted a discussion... Wink

In Christ,
al

LENORE
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 07:10:17 am »

May 6th:

Has anyone seen the final episode of Third Watch yet. Cry

I wont give the ending away.

It is so nice to see a show, close with a type of goodbye, like I saw with Third Watch, than just disappear with no clue what happened to the characters.

Once all time zone are in, because it was on at 9 pm EST here.

What was your favourite part? Cheesy
What surprised you the most? Shocked

What made you go speechless Lips sealed?

I will keep my comments until I know you have all had a chance to see it.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 12:14:30 am »

Since I only have one television station I watch whats on it.
CTV.

It has mainly American shows.

The new shows that played last year, was CSI New York, LOST, Desperate Housewifes.

The cliff hanger for Lost was good, but not as good as WHO SHOT JR, type of a cliffhanger.
or the cliffhanger for the Star Trek, next generation episode where Captain Picard was turn into a Borg.

Lost the questions are who are the people who stole the boy, and why did they stole him.
It looked like those people were descendants of pirates and they stole the boy as a slave to keep their numbers up. 
They also stolen the french woman child, she was probably the one who threw the bomb onto the raft.
What was the hatch, that they open.? Do you think it was an old nuclear missle chamber, or an old submarine, that made it way up into the island.
Or an old mine chamber, because the old ship that they found the dynamite in was an old mining ship.

So any questions.   

A question:

What would you do on an island, away from civilization, and having to get along with 50 strangers, and needing to depend on each other for survival?

And discussion on this.

Lenore
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 12:45:07 am »

"What would you do on an island, away from civilization, and having to get along with 50 strangers, and needing to depend on one another for survival?" Sounds a lot like the Assembly Lenore. I'd probably try to build a raft and get away from the place as quickly as possible.

--Joe
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 01:09:58 am »

"What would you do on an island, away from civilization, and having to get along with 50 strangers, and needing to depend on one another for survival?" Sounds a lot like the Assembly Lenore. I'd probably try to build a raft and get away from the place as quickly as possible.

--Joe

Your probably right on that mark.

Ok, another question:

If you had no option but to be stranded on a desert island.

What television show would you rather be in.

Gilligan's Island or LOST, or the movie Castaway

If you could only take five things what would you take.

Remember, there will be no hydro, no indoor toliets, no hotel rooms, just what the land has to offer.

Lenore
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 08:17:54 am »

Your probably right on that mark.

Ok, another question:

If you had no option but to be stranded on a desert island.

What television show would you rather be in.

Gilligan's Island or LOST, or the movie Castaway

If you could only take five things what would you take.

Remember, there will be no hydro, no indoor toliets, no hotel rooms, just what the land has to offer.

Lenore

Gilligan's Island with 4 boxes of contacts and 1 bottle of contact solution.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 07:32:22 pm »

June 23

Has anyone been able to catch the new show:

DANCING WITH THE STARS

It is six couple with a celebrity personality and a professional dancer, competing in Ball Room Dancing.

Last night ,  The couple with  model Rachel Hunter received the least amount of scores from the previous week, so they were eliminated.

What is getting to me, is that the different types of music that they are able to dance the different ballroom dances.

The couples were dancing the Tennessee Waltz, to the music of Sonny and CHer.

It is very graceful to watch.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2005, 07:39:53 am »

July 2nd:

Did anyone watch the LIVE 8 TO MAKE POVERTY HISTORY.

The purpose for this world wide concert, was to gain signature on a web petition, to present to the world leader at the G8 summat in Edinburgh.

It is amazing watching U2 on stage with Paul McCarthy, singing Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band.

Of course since I only have one station CTV , that was the station that broadcasted the concerted live since 7 am this morning and will continue on until after midnight.

There are theories that dawning of the AntiChrist will be once there is a one world government, one world religion, etc.
Yet as I watched from London. England.  Russia, South Africa, Japan, Philedephia, etc, music celebrities of today, and past coming together for a one day concert for a cause to end poverty.
Even Madonna said prior to her concert. Ready for a Revolution.

In the news recently, about the government officials from Mexico, Canada, and USA, talking about a unit North America on trade, finances, security, etc.

Just watching the concert made me realize even though the earth is a huge planet, it is also a small planet.

So my questions to you, is
1. did you enjoy the live 8 concerts
2. do you think that this time, expense, and effort that these music celebrities went to will have an impact on the world leaders, to end poverty.
3. do you think places like Africa with its war, famine, conflict, genocided, corruption, aids, will be able to change from the effort of the live 8 concerts.
4. do you think the G8 leaders will really consider responding to the requests for finances from the person who put this live 8 together.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 04:45:36 am »

I am watching MASH.... the episode where Charles and Potter are teaming up with Hollihand and BJ for a Bridge Match.  Hawkeye is taken hostage by the enemy to treat a enemy soldier.

Mash has been around since 1972, 30 plus years ago.

So what is your favourite Mash Episode.

Are you old enough to remember the original programming, before all the reruns.

Lenore
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: