AssemblyBoard
May 16, 2024, 12:16:16 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My True Issues With Tim Geftakys  (Read 18581 times)
Bluejay

Email
« on: March 27, 2003, 02:47:26 am »

I have used the name BlueJay the past month since logging onto the BB.  This is simply out of respect to my mom, who was involved in the assembly for 27 years and very hurt by what has recently transpired.

I was involved with the assembly in Omaha, Neb. from the time I was two years old.  My mother started attending there sometime in approx. 1976.  I was the oldest of three children who attended the assembly every Sunday, Wed and probably 75% of the extra cirricular assembly events...Ie. fellowships, special meetings, brothers meetings, etc.  My saving grace was that my dad allowed my mom, myself and my siblings  to be a part of the assembly, but did not attend himself.  
I was one of the oldest children growing up in the assembly.  I detested attending, but realized this was not a battle I was going to win as my dad backed my mom up.  Therefore, I tried to make the best of this situation.  Don't get me wrong, there were many nice people in the assembly, but I can remember back as being 5 years old and realizing that this was definitely a lot more weird than anything else my fellow classmates were going involved in.

My whole outlook changed on assembly life about the end of my junior year in high school.  At the midwest seminar in Champagne, I decided that I needed God and wanted to walk with the Lord.  I am sure that it was just a situation of surrendering to being beaten over the head with something for so long.  Anyway, I began to have a strong "walk" until about the end of my senior year where I for whatever reason got distracted and left fellowship for about two months.  The following August, the month before I was to leave before my senior year in college, I got scared and for whatever reason decided to jump back on board with the assembly.  This time, though, I dived head first into it.  At the urging of Omaha's leaders, I cut all ties with my lifelong buddies.  I was encouraged/told that the only time I needed to see them was at assembly functions or if it were an oppurtunity where I was going to witness to them.  

The college I attended my freshmen year was about 20 minutes away from the assembly in Norfolk, Ne.  When I had left the assembly for that two month period I had changed my college choice to get as far away from the assembly as possible...I apparently had forgot about Norfolk.  Anyway, at this point, being all gung ho about assembly life and my walk with the Lord, I was thankful that Norfolk was there.  Charlie Mather and his family were exceptionally good to me, and I will never, ever forget that!  I was the only assemblyite on campus, but in a short period we had a campus Chapter Summary Bible Study going, had guest speakers such as Mike Zach coming to talk, had groups of people driving down to Omaha to here George speak, people attending the campus confernce...The whole works!!!  I was on fire for the Lord and life was just dandy.  All fall I had saved every penny I had to be able to attend the Seminar in Fullerton.  Between a plane ticket and a few weeks out there, it was going to be a hefty penny for a college student!

Before I go into  my  why Tim Geftakys is synomyous with Satan phase, I need to make a few remarks about my dad.  I mentioned that my parents are married, however my mom was involved with the assembly but my dad was not.  My dad and I were always and still are the best of friends and vey close.  I think my dad thought I was half nuts for becoming an assembly clone, but for the most part, it really didn't change our relationship.  At this point, in my life, I was a freshman away from home,  scared to death of making friends on campus based on the fact that I was the only assemblyite there, and very lonely.   I was probably dependent on the friendship of my parents at this time more than any time in my life.  My dad was not and never was an evil man.  He simply was just was highly educated and chose not to get involved with the ways of the assembly.

So anyway, I save every penny I have that fall and  go to California (Dec 1992) to attend the Fullerton Winter seminar, very excited about the fact that a few of my close assembly friends my age were going to be there and excited to be amongst "God's people for a week".  It was here I had my first real experience with the everso "Godly" Tim Geftakys.

For whatever reason, a few of us took a trip to the assembly in San Diego.  I think Tim must have been preaching down there.  I think it was the week before the midwest seminar...Anyway, I got invited to go down there with a group and thought that would be great!  We get down there, and I can't remember how it happened...All I know is that I ended up in a room alone with Tim Geftakys and he told me that he would never have any respect for me as a Christian until I severed my relationship with my dad.  Now, if my dad were to come into fellowship, that would be a differnt story.  "Sometimes we have to take a stand" he told me.

I was devastated.  Here I am X amount of miles away from home, and the heir to the throne of the Geftakys is telling me to sever my relationship with my dad.   I didn't argue with him, but I could tell that he was less than thrilled with my response.  I left San Diego 120% confused and distressed.

Meanwhile, while on this trip to California, the people my age who I was most close to began to treat me like I was the black plague.  I was to naive to put two and two together.  The fact that my friends ie. brothers and sisters  that I was so close to were treating me in this manner was very upsetting and hurtful.  I would find out years later that Tim Geftakys told these people to be careful of me, questioned my motives as a person and as a Christian.  To this day I don't know what exactly was said, but I have at least one witness that will verify that this account.  It was the most bizarre and hurtful experience of my life.

I went back to Omaha a broken young man.  My close assembly friends for some reason wanted no part of me, and I was supposed to sever my relationship with my dad.   I left fellowship for good shortly thereafter. I was back in Omaha for a Sunday worship, and just got up in the middle and left. I felt so guilty.  I truly felt like I was choosing my dad over the Lord.  It took me over a year to clear my head.  

The bottom line is this, Tim Geftakys is not a man of God.  Think about it, when talking to this poor excuse of a human being, what about him reflects the Joy of God.  Is God arrogant?  Is God divisive?  It took me about six months (for fear of ramifiactions)  to talk to my dad about Tims counsel, and immediately I can remember my dad telling me about an incident he had with Tim about 10 years prior when Tim was in Omaha to preach and my mom talked my dad into coming out.  

Brief Summation:
Tim asked my dad what he was up to.  My dad informed Tim that he was busy working on his Ph.D.  Tim then informed my dad that he would be nothing but "phenomanally dumb" until he got involved with "this ministry"....Yet another example of Tim's "tactfulness".

The fact of the matter is this, I am over the friendships that Tim sabotaged...It took about six months to get over that...However, one does not mess with my family.  It is an extrmely important thing to me. I value my family in a huge way. I shudder when I think of what would have happened if I had taken Tim's counsel....How devastated my dad would have been, how devastating it would have been for me, how it would have torn apart my family...Lets face the fact, my little brother who was in high schol had dropped out of fellowship, so I guess I would have had to sever ties with him to.

There was really no sense in talking to anyone about this.  If I were to tell my friends, that would have said we told you that place was a nuthouse.  If I would have told any of the saints, I would have been hammered against speaking out against a leading brother.

The reality of the situation is as such. Tim Geftakys is not about God.  Tim Geftakys is about power.  Tim like the fact that he had the authority to potentially wreck families and peoples lives.  It makes him feel like a man.  He gives counsel that in turns wrecks peoples lives, so they have no one to turn to but the assembly...This in turn feeds his, his brothers, and his dads pocket books.

So in my postings, if it seems that I have personally attacked Tim, its because I have.  Its ten years of frustration and being extremely confused spiritually.  I spent 17 years of my life in this place, and knew no other way. I always suspected this ministry was a sham, but until this website exposed the truth, always just gave them the benefit of the doubt as far as their sincerity.  The flip side is that after being involved for so long, that it was impossible for me to be involved with other churches.  The feelings of guilt that attending a church would bring would make me physically ill.

I will gladly take a lie detector test to back these claims up...With this being said, as far as I am concerned, there should be a tremendous uprising against the Geftakys.  They need to be punished.  Exposure is not enough.  If Tim were truly sorry, he would pay back every penny that he had taken from this ministry..Even if that meant selling his house and giving up his cush lifestyle.  He claims he knew nothing of his brothers abusive ways, he tried to wreck families, and he laughed all the way to the bank...Come on people....Wake up!!!

The short of it is, they have committed the crime and they should do the time!  Aside from being a family of adulters, they are thieves and should be dealt with accordingly.

Sincerely,

Bob Franzese
AKA: BlueJay

Omaha, Nebraska
editor
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 03:03:08 am »

Dear Bluejay:

All this time I thought you were female!  That just goes to show how careful I must be when thinking I know someone from cyberspace alone.

I have a number of stories about Tim, similiar to yours, some worse.  Sadly, most people didn't want to post them when it mattered, or they were not verifiable with two or three witnesses, so I could not post them.

As you know, Tim has been asked to "step back up and Lead," what is left of the Assembly in Fullerton.  Some people will never learn.

Exposure is all we can do, unless there is a legal case we can pursue.  Even so, there are still people naive enough to follow these men, and listen to their teaching.

I think the reason I come across so strong on the BB is because I have thousands of emails and telephone calls from members, ex-members, concerned parents, etc.  There is no question that these Geftakys's are a uniquely wicked family.  That's why I get so heated up when it sounds like someone is using geftakys-speak to defend them!

I am glad you are here,

Brent
Bluejay

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 03:59:15 am »

Brent

Thanks for your support.

The reason it will be hard to verify issues with Tim Geftakys is that he is a snake...He knows that one on one conversations end up their word vs. his word. He also knows how to indirectly sabotage people.

Tim Geftakys is a cultist and a loser who is incapable of holding a real job. To Those people who wish to follow him, don't drink the fruit punch!

Tim Geftakys must be brought to his knees.  People must have the courage to fully expose him and his wicked ways.  

« Last Edit: March 27, 2003, 05:17:22 am by Bluejay » Logged
Will Jones

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 06:42:44 am »

Bobby!

Do I have a story to tell!   Cheesy

If you recall, we met in Ohma shortly before you left the Assembly.  I had come from a Canadian Assembly to visit Omaha.  We played basketball together, went to lunch, and we sent a few letters back and forth.

Suddenly, I was told that you had "left the Lord" because you had made decisions that were against the Lord's will.  When I tried to press for more information, I was told that you put sports and your unsaved friends before your relationship with God.  I was also told that you had a big fight with the leadership and that you had "left the Assembly on bad terms and needed to make things right with the leadership."  You (like many who decide to leave the Assembly) were looked down on as a bit of a lost cause, but--this is the really neat part--I prayed at that time for you and that I would be able to get in contact with you once again.  So my prayer has been answered 10 years later!

Thank you for sharing what you have shared.  I believe it is far more affective then your many posts that dig at Tim.  I am sorry about what you have gone through and I can relate to a certain degree.  The Assembly interpreted the words of Jesus--about "hating" your family members--too literally and did not encourage close family relationships with unsaved/wordly family members.  Sady, this teaching negatively affected some families throughout the Assemblies.  

One of the biggest crimes of Assembly teaching was the undercurrent of the teachings imply that you were not a true Christian/in the light/in God's will unless you followed what the Assembly said was God's will, that is, you "submitted to the leadership" and got "approval/permission" from them.  This implies if one leaves the Assembly they are settling for "less than the Lord's best," the person has fallen away, etc.  I don't believe that this is true at all because people have left the Assembly to go to other churches, etc.  Besides, people need to follow what God's will is for them, not what other people say is God's will.  Thankfully, I had been to many churches before the Assembly and I believed that it was my responsibility to interpret the Scriptures myself and discover God's will for my own life; thus, when I left I did not feel many of the guilty feelings many members go through because I did all that I could to leave on good terms.  But, from what I have been reading here and elsewhere, I was one of the rare people who did not have major post-Assembly problems about feeling out of God's will, etc.  Sorry to hear that you had a hard time after you left.  I hope you are doing better now.

Another thing that was a problem about some (and again I say "some") of the workers' tactics in the Assembly is talking about people to try to affect other people's opinions about them.  "So-and-so is not a good brother or sister because..."  I have also heard of workers talking about which brother or sister would not be recommended for marriage.  I also heard that M****, the first Assembly missionary to China, a person we had prayed for every Tuesday at the Prayer Meetings, was "not a good brother."  When I asked why, I was told that he did not submit to a worker that came to China about 7 months after him.  One sister was interested in him but was told he was not a good brother to marry.  When I met Brother M****, I found him to be very friendly and open.  We talked about a variety of subjects and he never said anything bad about the leadership to me on the few occasions we talked.  When I asked him about not submitting to the worker who came to China after him, he said that he recommended that she not do certain things that she wanted to do because he knew Chinese culture better than her and that you have to be very careful about what you did in a different culture.  However, in the Assembly, it is "not a democracy" so I can understand why he became a "bad brother" simply because he did not go along with what a worker wanted to do.  There are always two or more sides to every story and I am so glad I was able to hear yours after all these years!  

Take care!  Nice to be in contact with you again!
jackhutchinson

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 07:04:28 am »

It seems obvious to me that most people that left the assembly system before this website went up did so as a result of one or more traumatic experiences (usually involving the leadership).  The emotional trauma caused them to gradually question the validity of their commitment and to eventually decide to leave.  When they left they still suffered emotional stress due to their assembly experience.

Speaking for myself, I can say that the website has provided the opportunity to see the ugliness of the assembly system without having to experience the kinds of things that you (and MANY others) did.  Those of us who started reading the website after GG's excommunication had it so easy.  We were told by the leadership (in SLO at least) that the website would be used for healing.  That meant we could read the site without having to fear their slander.  Though it was traumatic for me to read and assimilate the information, it took 2 weeks for me to proceed from being totally committed to the assembly to being happy after having left.  This is not to say that I will not have discouraging days ahead, but I know I had it easy compared to others like you.

Perhaps this post belongs on the "Can anything good come out of this BB" thread, but I thought of this while reading your post.

Perhaps others will read your story and be freed as I have.  Thank you for your candor.  It may not seem like you're doing much, but your posts are helping others avoid suffering more pain than they have to.

Jack
vbeers

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2003, 07:11:29 pm »

I never knew, Bobby...  This makes me angry all over again.  That anyone in that God-forsaken place would make the and child feel as though they could never measure up and then have the audacity to a.  root family members against one another and / or b.  say anything against Dr. Bob Franzese's  level of intelligence is absolutely ludicrous!!  Other than Mark S, did anyone in leadership in the assembly in Omaha even have a college degree???  Moreso, did any one of them have any professional training in counseling?  This is so sickening.  

In a recent conversation with my dad regarding the downfall of the Assembly, he told me that he will always have a hard time respecting people in positions of leadership in the church who aren't as accomplished as he is.  This perspective was so confusing and wrong to me b/c I believe that the Lord can use all sorts of people from all sorts of walks of life.  Now, however, I completely understand why he would have this perspective.  His family was for may years completely wrapped up in and dictated by the beliefs of those in the assembly.  Then, to be told by an uneducated, pompous, arrogant, jerk that he would be 'phenomanally dumb' until he got involved in their ministry...I can only imagine the sour taste that this has left in my father's mouth for all these years.  

And, you should be aware that if I were my dad, I would be dancing in the streets shouting "I told you so!" at everyone who had ever been involved in the Assembly.  Is he?  No.  He is not "glad" that the Assembly has fallen.  He is not rejoicing or acting arrogant b/c he was 'right' to not get involved all these years.  It's amazing who comes out in the end as being more Christlike, isn't it?

THAT PLACE IS NOT GOD.  GOD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TIM G. OR GEORGE G. OR ANYONE WHO FOLLOWS THEM NOW.  THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS THIS:  THOSE WHO FOLLOW TIM G. AND / OR GEORGE G. OR ANYONE ELSE IN THAT SICK, WARPED, UNGODLY PLACE IS 'PHENOMANALLY DUMB.  THANK GOD OMAHA HAS DISBANDED.  MAY GOD HEAL THE BROKEN SPIRITS OF EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTED BY THE EVIL OF THE ASSEMBLY AND SOMEHOW SHOW THEM THE TRUTH.  I PRAY THAT HE WILL FORGIVE THOSE OF US WHO PORTRAYED OURSELVES AS BEING CHRISTIANS ALL THE WHILE RUINING THE PERSPECTIVE OF CHRISITIANTY FOR EVERY NON-BELIEVER WITH WHOM WE CAME IN CONTACT.  PLEASE GOD, REGAIN A HOLD IN THE LIVES THAT HAVE BEEN SO RUINED BY SUCH WICKEDNESS AND IN JESUS NAME WILL YOU ONCE AGAIN SET THEIR HEARTS ON FIRE FOR YOU!!!
David Mauldin
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2003, 09:56:46 pm »

I have a funny story about M****  In the home I lived in we found M***** to be very uptight and legalistic.  We could not have even the most causual conversation with him because we would get rebuked.  One night I came home from work with a (God forbid) Christamas present.  And on top of that It was a bottle of wine!  A brother and I decided to sample it and began to kill it when M**** came to the door! CRASH BANG SLAM SWOOSH CRASH AS WE Hurried to hide the evidence.  "HI MARTY!" "HOWS IT GOING! Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Bluejay

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2003, 11:45:40 pm »

One thing I want to point on before I go on vacation for the weekend...I left a lot out of my account of my dealings with Tim Geftakys...The only reason for this was that there apparently is only so much space where you can post...I tried to post my whole account several times but couldn't as the computer told me that an error had occurred but my message was to long.

One thing that is important for me to point out...When I left fellowship, I had zero animosity towards the Omaha saints.  It was agitating that for a while every time I bumped into an Omaha assemblyite  they would read me the riot act and look at me with great despair, but with that being said, I had grown up in the assembly and had developed good relationships with people.  I know that it hurt them when I left with no explanation, but I had to do what I had to do.   The bottom line is it wouldn't have made any sense to give an account of my dealings with Tim G...I would have been bad mouthing the leadership.  Never once did I bad mouth the leadership to anyone. I left without telling anyone with the exception of my mom why I left, not even my younger siblings.  Keep in mind, at the time, I was so screwed up that I thought I was choosing my dad over God!!!

I really appreciated the  people of the Omaha's assemblies efforts in helping move my parents move to Oklahoma.  One thing that can be said about the non -hierarchy of the assemblies is that generally they are nice caring people with no hidden agenda who only want to serve God.  Its not their fault that George, Tim and David are a bunch of horses crevices.

Anyway, I do have a great idea for an outreach...As soon as George, Tim, and David (and it will be sooner than later) all get sentenced to federal prison, we should arrange a mass group of former assemblyites to go visit them...Do they make prison outfits large enough to fit Tim???

« Last Edit: March 28, 2003, 03:51:09 am by Bluejay » Logged
Mark Kisla
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2003, 06:40:14 am »

Bluejay,
Thank you for sharing what you went through with Tim telling you to sever your relationship with your father.
It was just plain evil for him to tell you that.
I think your Father is a very good husband, dad and Christian to patiently endure seeing satan trying to split his family up. God blessed you with a father of great character.
 I hope you choose  not to let this wrong done to you bogg you down but rather build in you determination  to be the best you can be.
  Sincerely, Mark Kisla
 PS. You got a great sense of humor
Stillwater
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2003, 01:22:08 am »

Bluejay,

Your comment about feeling sick in church really hit home for me. When I first got out, I kept going to church a lot and reading the Bible. I guess my spiritual pride (I'm wearing a dress; look how disrespectful these women in jeans are.) insulated me for a while. Soon, though, I could hardly open the Bible without being attacked by twisted scriptures. Pastors would innocently mention words like, "the cross," and all of the Assembly connotation would come back. And it all, the Bible, the church, prayer, it all spoke condemnation because I was standing against "God's people," the Assembly. Every word, every idea, every doctrine in Christianity was subtley twisted in a way that pushed me back toward obedience to the Assembly. I remember writing in my journal what a horrible, horrible thing it was to poison the Bible, the church, God for people. God have mercy on us for spreading the poison and on those above us for enslaving us to a false god. And may God heal the little ones we've stumbled. . .
  Actually, that was my first reason for leaving: I saw that we were stumbling God's little ones; it took a lot longer and a lot more humility for me to realize I'd been a victim too.

Heather
Suzie Trockman
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2003, 09:14:32 am »

Hi everybody

I noticed that TimG and his long-time family helper, Peg Magou, just registered on the BB.

Hi Tim

How is work going?  What are you up to?  Are you going to any churches in your area?  Just curious

Suzie
Oscar

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2003, 10:11:50 am »

vbeers wrote,

" THANK GOD OMAHA HAS DISBANDED"

Is this true???   Has the Omaha assembly stopped meeting?

Tom Maddux
psalm51

Email
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 02:23:49 am »

vbeers wrote,

" THANK GOD OMAHA HAS DISBANDED"

Is this true???   Has the Omaha assembly stopped meeting?

Tom Maddux
Actually, they are taking the 6 week challenge. After that, who knows?
brian

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2003, 10:18:09 am »

hey bob! remember me? its been a while...

Meanwhile, while on this trip to California, the people my age who I was most close to began to treat me like I was the black plague.  I was to naive to put two and two together.  The fact that my friends ie. brothers and sisters  that I was so close to were treating me in this manner was very upsetting and hurtful.  I would find out years later that Tim Geftakys told these people to be careful of me, questioned my motives as a person and as a Christian.

if i remember this correctly, i was staying in the same room as you when this happened, along with tim smith, enoch and a few others. we were in dan notte's house. i remember you being very sad and anxious that weekend, but i never knew what was causing it exactly. i remember thinking it had something to do with close friends you had that were shutting you out, but since i wasn't close with them either i really didn't know what was going on. i was busy quietly observing all i could and analyzing the situation madly - my preferred mode of operation when dealing with my own confusion and anxiety, which there was plenty of even by that point in my life. i wish i could have been a better friend to you, but i most likely wouldn't really have known how to be that at that point in my life, even if i had known the whole story. *sigh* well, i am glad you made it out, and with your family bond intact! hopefully your honesty in expressing the psychological strain you were subjected to will continue to help color in the details of a realistic picture of what the assembly has been, and what patterns of behavior enabeled it to become that, especially for those who are still choosing those dysfuntional relationships for their own lives. the level of denial some folks still seem determined to live in, and the desire these people are displaying for someone to control their spiritual lives, makes me think sadly of the word "institutionalized".  Sad
vernecarty
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 04:36:50 am »

Bluejay was luckier than many. The remarkable number of familial relationships shredded by the anti-family rhetoric of the Geftakys clan is probably the most under-reported aspect of this sad saga; I saw it first hand and had several friends whose families were devastated by this kind of viciousness. I was shaking my head in wonder as I read Bluejay's post...there are still people posting on this website that contend these people are "The Lord's servant" and upbraid others for speaking the truth...
Verne
« Last Edit: April 03, 2003, 04:38:21 am by vernecarty » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: