AssemblyBoard
May 16, 2024, 10:25:22 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Poll
Question:
Total Voters:

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Condition of this bulletin Board  (Read 6474 times)
David Mauldin
« on: March 17, 2006, 07:23:33 am »

My feelings about this board are obvious, I honestly wonder if even 5 people will post their opinions to this poll.
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 05:57:57 am »

Hi Everyone!

I have a reason for posting my thoughts here under this thread which will become evident after you read here what I have to say.  I didn't want to respond under the "Anything Good, etc." thread, as it would continue to lead that conversation astray from Margaret's intention for it.

There have been a flurry of complaints lately as to the state of this BB---- I must say that I don't understand them.

The BB has been compared to a TV series (there's something good I learned from the Assm.--- I don't watch TV much! Wink) and the complaints varied from the BB not providing good entertainment, to being some kind of conspiracy where a single poster has totally monopolized the talk.  Threats are made that if there isn't improvement the complainers will move on, or only view the BB once every 6 months or so. 

Contrary to what some believe, the BB is not produced by someone, and there are not a cast of performers that control the pages of the BB.  If someone does not agree/like what someone is saying they are free to post their opinions.  If the BB is lacking, or too much one sided, then by all means show some courage and share your best arguments and make it what it should be.

It is a cheap shot to just "drive-by" and fire a salvo at posters in a general way without dealing in a substantive way with the arguments.  If the character of the BB is made bad by certain discussions this is not an insurmountable obstacle to those that have the wit and determination to debate the issues, and it affords just the opportunity needed to make the needed improvements some see the need for.

So I say, don't give so much power to the "single poster" and step up to the plate and take your swings like a man (or woman, as the case may be  Wink)  I have great confidence in you, and just know that what you have to offer will make this BB a very interesting--- and possibly entertaining---- place! Cool 

However, when someone disagrees with your perspective, don't start back into the old "I don't like this place" argument, and "I'm going to leave," because this just makes your position look weak and indefensible (and kind of childish).

Yes, if you post, you do indeed open yourself up to all kinds of personal attacks, unfair criticism, and misunderstandings.  You also can end up being the offender in the above sentence, vs. being on the receiving end.  I hate this last part of it the most, but it can make us better thinkers, communicators, listeners, and, above all, just better people if we learn how to humbly admit our mistakes.

So, I'm asking all the naysayers of the BB to rise up and take the BB to heights I know that you can lead it to!  Take the risk of laying out your far superior values and thoughts (vs. just being occasional critical observers).  Instead of just waiting for the BB hog to post his/her thoughts ad nauseum, and launch a complaint from the sideline; get out there on the field and win one for the Gipper!! Cheesy

Fight the good fight!    Mark C.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 03:38:35 am by Mark C. » Logged
Christine
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:30:22 am »

Hi Everyone!

I have a reason for posting my thoughts here under this thread which will become evident after you read here what I have to say.  I didn't want to respond under the "Anything Good, etc." thread, as it would continue to lead that conversation astray from Margaret's intention for it.

Thanks Mark,

I wanted to just point out that the two topics one started by Margaret and also Tom's- are good topics I enjoyed them when they were on topic This is why I made my post to Margaret and also mentioned that I liked Daves comments- both of which are dated this week.

I hope the topic as intended for each would continue. Also I hope you'll continue the "Wounded Pilgrim's" thread.

God Bless

Christine

and yes I do not plan on leaving the board  Wink
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 08:31:24 pm »

From below: My feelings about this board are obvious, I honestly wonder if even 5 people will post their opinions to this poll.

Waiter, using a  strong Italian accent: "Hello my friend-a, and-a what-a would you like-a to order this-a evening?"

Patron: "Well, you know my feelings about this restaurant. Do you mind if I pass out a poll asking what
your customers think of this place? I doubt if even five will state their opinion, seeing there are only about
six people in here as it is."

Waiter: "Sir, if-a you no like-a the restaurant-a, then why-a are you-a here-a? huh? If you-a no like-a the food-a,
then why-a pass out-a your-a poll? Every once-a while the food, she is not-a very good, but a most-a da
time-a, the food-a, she is-a excellent."

Patron: "I really have a strong distaste for this place. I think the food is terrible, and the people suck."

Waiter: "Then why-a don't you-a go to the place-a down the street then? Maybe they-a have some-a
better spaghetti that you-a like-a? huh?"

Patron: "I hate this place, but something keeps drawing me back, or I guess I wouldn't be in here asking to take this poll in the first place. I still hate this place, but, uh...give me the #4 Ravioli meal with an Italian salad."

Waiter: "Thank-a you sir. I hope you-a enjoy-a your meal-a."

I know I've been a numbskull lately, and made some ill-advised posts---but I just couldn't resist making this correlation between the poll in this restaurant and the poll here on the board.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:44:24 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 04:02:40 am »

Hi Christine and Joe!

Thanks for you supportive comments re. my Wounded Pilgrim thread, as that is where I prefer to spend my time.

As for the questions that Tom and Margaret asked:  The reason I felt I had to respond the way that I did was because these questions always seem to bring out of the woodwork those that want to defend the Assembly itself as something that was essentially good.

It is not right, on many levels, to allow a false representation of what hurt so many people to be perpetuated.  It dishonors God and trivializes the damage done by GG and company.

Can I think of some good things that happened while there?  Sure, and the precious souls that were sincerely involved in following God will not be forgotten by God.  If the discussion had remained at the level of Tom's, Margaret's, and Dave's original intention (which fully recognized how corrupt the Assembly was) I never would have made the stand that I did.

Watching the reaction on this topic I think we can learn two things:

1.) There are many former members still unable to understand, or are unwilling to admit, what the problems were with the group.

2.) Many view the Assembly from their own isolated experiences and are unable (or unwilling) to take a loving attitude toward their former associates that were deeply wounded.

I suspect there are some that would like to see this group rise up again and allow them another opportunity to be "God's servant" (in the GG sense of the phrase).  These miss the "good ol' days" for different reasons than those that have been truly humbled by God for the part they played in the group.

Joe:  I used the poll because it was an available topic.  I agree that not many will take it.

God Bless,  Mark C.   
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 04:13:05 am »

Mark---

Yeah--I thought so---the original post was made back in March 2006 and there hadn't been much
of a response to it since then.  Grin

--Joe
Christine
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 04:17:19 am »

Mark---

Yeah--I thought so---the original post was made back in March 2006 and there hadn't been much
of a response to it since then.  Grin

--Joe

Well it looks like some votes were gained. I dont think there were 6 votes before Undecided
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 04:27:10 am »

Probably weren't any votes before. Polls usually don't do so well. I figured Mark
picked this thread because of it's title due to recent comments that have been made.
But it shouldn't take a year and a half to get six votes! Grin
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:56:51 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
Christine
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 07:25:20 am »

Probably weren't any votes before. Polls usually don't do so well. I figured Mark
picked this thread because of it's title due to recent comments that have been made.
But it shouldn't take a year and a half to get six votes! Grin

Well now we have 8 votes.. I think we doubled the total in one day  Grin

good point tho
EricFoy

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 12:41:22 am »

The poll question is loaded, in that the question itself imposes a number of presuppositions.  It is far too broad in its possible application, and the pollster (Hi, David) has not provided enough background information for me to know what he's really asking.  Therefore, I don't know how to answer, since I don't know what the question really is.

For these reasons, I haven't voted.

-Eric
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:51:35 am »

Hi Eric,

I posted the poll again that David M. presented long ago, with my tongue firmly in cheek, because I was responding to recent complaints re. the low quality of the conversation on the BB.

I agree with you that the poll doesn't play fair in the way it asks the questions because it makes it appear that the BB is being produced by someone for an audience like some kind of a performance that is subject to being critiqued.

The BB is made up of individual contributions and does not represent a coordinated effort with a particular agenda.  If poster X posts something that reader Y doesn't agree with it makes no sense to post a response that attacks the whole BB as being bad, boring, or whatever.  If the quality of conversation is low or wrong, the proper response is for the one in disagreement to respond with what they believe to be right, and make a compelling argument for the same.  If readers don't seem to buy poster Y's arguments having a fit and insulting the entire BB seems to be a rather weak response.

I look forward to those who specifically take me to task because it forces me to think through what I am writing.  Of course, I'm not talking about personal insults, but those that challenge the things I'm presenting.  In this way we can help one another vs. just trying to win a debate.  I have been wrong, unclear, too sensitive, etc. in what I've said here in the past, and have been grateful to those who have called me on it.  If we have strong opinions, and post them on-line, we should expect that these will be questioned.

Those that won't get involved in the kind of give-and-take that I describe above either believe their arguments are beyond debate or don't trust their own arguments enough to try and make them.

BTW, I have not taken the poll either  Wink.                         God Bless,  Mark C. 
amycahill

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 11:01:32 am »

The BB is made up of individual contributions and does not represent a coordinated effort with a particular agenda.  If poster X posts something that reader Y doesn't agree with it makes no sense to post a response that attacks the whole BB as being bad, boring, or whatever.  If the quality of conversation is low or wrong, the proper response is for the one in disagreement to respond with what they believe to be right, and make a compelling argument for the same.  If readers don't seem to buy poster Y's arguments having a fit and insulting the entire BB seems to be a rather weak response.

*looks around*  WH-A-A-AT?Huh

You mean all my attempts to control this board have failed and it actually ISN'T pursuing my secret agenda for it?Huh

*grumble* *complain* *goes back to drawing board*   Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: