AssemblyBoard
May 22, 2024, 03:06:28 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Code of Silence  (Read 3193 times)
editor
« on: June 03, 2003, 06:49:01 am »

Hello Everyone

Someone mentioned my article, The Code of Silence, and how it applied to the current climate on the BB.

I thought about it, and asked myself, "Am I really trying to silence opposing opinions?"

After reflection, and re-reading the article that I wrote, I must conclude that I am in no way trying to silence opposing views.  However, I am definitely trying to win, and show that my views are "right," and those that oppose me are "wrong."  Note, I did not say that any view other than my own is wrong.  I don't believe that, and have never thought it.  I am saying that there are some who vigorously oppose certain views that I strongly hold.  When I contend with these people, I do so earnestly, with the intent of winning.

Under the Code of Silence, people who have opposing views would have their user accounts deleted, and would be banned from the forum.  In addition, their names would be slandered while they were not able to respond.  

Here, no such thing is happening.  First of all, in the Assembly, opposing views would never have been allowed to be spoken out loud.  Secondly, someone who vigorously disagreed would not be allowed to fellowship any longer.  They would have been excommunicated.

No one on this BB has been excommunicated, ever.  In fact, the people who are most opposed to me are some of the leading posters.  I may make their posterhood miserable, but I have never, ever forced them to leave, or attempted to silence them in any way.

No one has been run off this forum, ever.  Plenty of people have drifted off, left in a huff, or moved on for a variety of reasons, but no one has ever been silenced, Assembly-style.

While I am quite disturbed by the stands taken by some people, I want to go on record as saying that in no way do I wish anyone would leave, or even be silent.  I would much rather have a chance to persuade them, or to have their arguments rendered impotent, than to silence them.

Also, I am only Admin for a temporary time period.  The reason has to do with the St. Louis sister thing, and a few others.

Laurie and St. Louis sister's IP's definitely match, they are indeed one and the same person.

A few other IP's of different users also match, but there is no reason to name any names, as they were not involved with slander and libel.

If you have any questions about any of this, please email me.

You also have my word that I am going to make an attempt to avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, and concentrate solely on edifying topics.

Brent
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 07:06:27 am »

You also have my word that I am going to make an attempt to avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, and concentrate solely on edifying topics.

Brent

This is some of the best news i've heard today.  
Happily i pledge to do likewise.

Now may we hear such a promise from other posters?
This question is a challenge to take the higher road, to bless others, to show the love of Christ...

al Hartman

St. Louis sister

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 07:15:22 am »

me too
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: