AssemblyBoard
May 15, 2024, 11:09:27 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: End this website?  (Read 26569 times)
d3z

Email
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2003, 12:05:18 am »

Did you all know mice really run the universe, and are doing medical experiments on all of us right now?

shh.  The question is almost ready...  (or do you have a different reference in mind?  The answer is 42).
editor
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2003, 12:07:06 am »

Yep, you've got it.

The mice thing is from "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy,"  I forget the author.

Brent Tr0ckman is no plagiariser!!  (George Geftakys is...)

Brent
jesusfreak

Email
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2003, 12:11:00 am »

Yep, you've got it.

The mice thing is from "The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy,"  I forget the author.

Brent Tr0ckman is no plagiariser!!  (George Geftakys is...)

Brent

HHGTTG is one of my favorite reads - ever Roll Eyes

It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

--The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
d3z

Email
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2003, 12:16:02 am »

I wouldn't exactly call them "medical experiments".  The entire earth is a computation experiment, all in order to determine the question to the ultimate answer (which is 42).

The dolphins are also involved (they leave in the book "So Long and Thanks for all the Fish").

The author is Douglas Adams.  The hitchhiker guide is the first of 5 books in the Hitchhiker's guide trilogy Smiley .  http://www.douglasadams.com/ has a nice Biography, and list of books he wrote.  There's even a film coming out about his story (he died in 2001).

Yes, this is a bit off-topic.  He was one of my favorite SciFi writers though.  A nice combination of adventure, humor, and the absolutely rediculous.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2003, 12:19:04 am by David Brown » Logged
Eden Garisek

Email
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2003, 05:10:35 am »

I would just like to add a couple thoughts.  My family and I have been out of the Assembly for 10 years.  We have continued a substantive, ongoing discussion regarding the Assembly and our experiences there since we left.  That's a long time to talk about something, which leads me to believe it's important.  Whoever said "this is only the beginning" is right.  Open, honest communication is absolutely vital, for all kinds of reasons, whether it be revealing the truth, healing, etc.  

This is a free country where free speech is our right.  The beauty of this Web site is the community it creates.  I am in Los Angeles right now, and I am talking to people I don't know who live in Nebraska.  But we have something in common, and talking about that something is meaningful and constructive for both parties.  

There is no denying that I will disagree with opinions expressed on this site.  There is no denying that some will get hurt by reading those opinions.  And there is also no denying that people will experience freedom like they have not experienced in a long time (perhaps never before), by virtue of the information they gather from reading this site.  

Advocating the end of this site is analogous to advocating illiteracy for those one wishes to oppress.  If someone cannot read and make a free decision about what he has read, he is not free.  If someone cannot write to express their opinion to their community, they are not free.  Please do not advocate restriction of our basic human freedoms out of fear.  Just stand up and voice your opinion!  
VinnieGalati

Email
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2003, 05:44:40 am »

Well said Eden,

But how 'bout some more CHEESE!?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: