AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 02:29:07 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scary Stuff  (Read 4377 times)
night owl

Email
« on: June 22, 2006, 03:06:46 am »

Anyone here aware of a branch of the Seventh Day Adventist church that is packing up and moving to their compound in Washington State because the world is coming to an end? One of the teachers at work is serving her husband with court papers because he is leaving her and packing up (taking all their belongings, including hers) and trying to take their daughter with him. They are moving Monday and she is staying behind. She is absolutely terrified of him, but their daughter believes him and wants to go with him. Please be praying!

Night Owl
Margaret

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 04:51:02 am »

Seventh Day Adventism has been mainstreaming itself for a number of years, and many Adventists are true Christians. The group believes Ellen White was prophet and they class her writings on a par with the Bible, which leaves the group prone to new "prophets" arising and creating strange offshoots, such as the Branch Davidian. Can your friend contact Wellspring immediately to get some professional help and perspective?
brian

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:04:39 am »

wow, that is scary! i didn't find any mention of this in the news, although i did find information about College Place next to Walla Walla College, both of which are heavily Adventist and in Washington State. what is the name of the person they are following?

BRAVO to the mother for going to the courts and standing up to protect her daughter and herself from this man. how old is the daughter?? this daughter is very lucky to have a mother that will fight for her like this. the daughter may not appreciate it now, but when the world doesn't end and she is still walking around free instead of trapped in some compound she will certainly be grateful. i truly hope this mother can save her daughter from wasting several years of her life and probably much worse. do the courts really leave the decision up the the children in cases like this??

i fear for what an out-of-control false prophet like that will do when their predictions turn out to be foolishness. if these people would abandon their lives and families to move across the country to some compound for their false prophet, what wouldn't they do?? terrifying. please let us know how this turns out!

night owl

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 11:09:37 pm »

Her daughter is going to be a junior in high school, so she is old enough to decide for herself, but apparently state law says that a child her age can't be taken out of state if there are divorce papers or restraining orders pending, or so I've been told. Which there are. They will be served this weekend. The dad just came into the office with the daughter and told us that his wife will need a substitute on Monday because she is moving with them. The daughter looks absolutely terrified of him. The teacher has told us that this isn't true, so we'll see what happens. Thanks so much for your comments! I don't know what Wellspring is personally, but I've heard you guys talk about it. Should I just check their website, or is there any more info you could give me?
Margaret

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 10:05:10 pm »

Here is the main info we have about Wellspring on ga.com. The best things would be for her just to call them and describe the situation. Everyone there is very well-informed and very caring.  www.geftakysassembly.com/Reflections/Links.htm
pbrusati

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 07:35:33 pm »

For what it's worth, I have a friend who has worked for Hospice who told me that many Seventh Day Adventists are nice people but they have no assurance of salvation.  They leave this life terrified.  Some may be Christians, but from her experience most are bound by legalism and feel that they don't measure up.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: