AssemblyBoard
May 18, 2024, 05:14:17 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question ?  (Read 3544 times)
tenderhearted

Email
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:55:29 am »

Roll Eyes I have a question about the military support for your troops and their families in the states.

Here in Ontario/Canada. especially in the local region of the Ottawa Valley.
We have a military bases about 90 minutes away in Petawawa, there have been T-shirts, buttons, braclets, pins, key chains,
even a RED FRIDAY.
In support of our military and their families serving in Afghanastan(spelling).

Red Friday is where you show the colours of Canada by wearing red on Fridays. Some wear T-shirts that say Support the troops with Big Yellow Ribbons on them.
There are also car magnets.

The sale of these merchandizes go to support the families of services men, enlisted, who are struggling financially at home.

Does your area have something like that at home.

Lenore
DavidM
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 08:50:52 am »

We have bumper stickers!  "Support the Troops!"   But for the most part the American public does not take this war as a real war. By this I mean we aren't sacrificing at any level near we were in WWII. There aren't any billboards advertising War Bonds!  Life in the U.S.A. is pretty much focused on garbage T.V. "Paris Hilton" The new I-Phone! vick somebody in the NFL. Yes there are stories of individuals who are giving their time to help encourage our troops and they are to be commended. Yet what has really happened here in the last 6 years is a lot of people (rich people) have become really really rich! More millionaires today thanks to Bush's policies. In my investment club we have been discussing the fact that service sectors that cater to the wealthy are doing really well. Meanwhile the middle-class has suffered from the fact that they represent most of our troops who have given up better paying jobs to serve in the "reserves" An yet these people continue to be the hstrongest supporters of Bush! go figure!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 09:38:28 am by DavidM » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:39:48 pm »

We have bumper stickers!  "Support the Troops!"   But for the most part the American public does not take this war as a real war. By this I mean we aren't sacrificing at any level near we were in WWII. There aren't any billboards advertising War Bonds!  Life in the U.S.A. is pretty much focused on garbage T.V. "Paris Hilton" The new I-Phone! vick somebody in the NFL. Yes there are stories of individuals who are giving their time to help encourage our troops and they are to be commended. Yet what has really happened here in the last 6 years is a lot of people (rich people) have become really really rich! More millionaires today thanks to Bush's policies. In my investment club we have been discussing the fact that service sectors that cater to the wealthy are doing really well. Meanwhile the middle-class has suffered from the fact that they represent most of our troops who have given up better paying jobs to serve in the "reserves" An yet these people continue to be the hstrongest supporters of Bush! go figure!
When we got into the war, I wondered if as a nation we would have the resolve to finish the job or if our character is so weak that we would soon be preoccupied with every setback or casualty.  I was concerned that we lacked the moral fiber and resolve that the WWII vets who stormed Normandy seemed to demonstrate as well as the general public in their willingness to sacrifice for the larger goal.  In listening to radio dramas from that period, war bonds, rationing, and victory gardens seemed a part of civic responsibility.

You are spot in your concern that we instead, as a society, are entertaining ourselves to death.  For many, the war is fine as long as it does not interfere with our lifestyle and goals and does not affect our children.  This is the direct result of making Choice the highest virtue.

As for the economy, I’m certainly no expert but I did have an annual review with my finance guy yesterday.  (I have neither the time, interest or ability to manage my own investments).  My well diversified portfolio has been growing steadily for the past few years.

My investments are doing well now because he explained that we have gone five or six years without the 10% market correction that traditionally happens every 13 months or so.  Of course we were growing out of the historic .com bust so we had some ground to make up.  Nevertheless, there doesn’t appear to be the floundering middle class that your group portrays though we could possibly get our 10% correction/bump next year with the uncertainty of an election year.

So the rich may get richer, but I don’t think it necessarily follows that everyone else gets screwed over.  It is the investments of the rich that expands the economy, creates jobs, allows people to donate to charities that, in effect, pays my salary.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 12:28:55 am »

I believe that we have to be aware that the troops are doing their job, that they were trained for. 
We dont necessarily have to agree on war.
Those troops are doing a job that they have been commanded to do.
It is with those men and women that are going to battle, laying their lives on the line, that need our prayers, and at least our appreciation for a very tough and deadly job they are doing.

Last week Canadians family buried 6 more services men that were killed in Afghanistan. As our prime minister is getting heat from protestor.   

Yet I was wondering Hilter was a terrorist, doing his own genocide across Europe.  Yet the Talisban and extreme Islamics are doing the exact thing, by instilling fear across the countries they are bombing, across the middle east asia.

Even wearing Red in support/Yellow Ribbons in support of the troops
can be a way saying to the troops we appreciate the job you are doing.
DavidM
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 04:33:35 am »

It's really tough position to be in. On one hand you wanted the President to "Wait" "Give the inspectors time!" and on the other hand you want to show your support to the troops because hey, they are laying it all down for what they are being told, "Freedom is on the march!" So how do we exercise our American privileges of "Freedom to express my disagreement with my governments policies" and at the same time support those who are defending "freedom"HuhHuh??  Yes I want to support the troops! Buy FRPT!!!! No soldier has been killed while riding in this vehicle!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: