AssemblyBoard
May 19, 2024, 02:43:18 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting back to the old hymns  (Read 4042 times)
aragorn

Email
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:22:38 pm »

Some things that were intrinsically good became undersireable due to their connection with the assembly.  This is definitely true of the old hymns of the faith.   However, Alan Jackson (top country singer) came out with an album called "Precious Memories" where he sings old classics which were ubiquitous assembly fare like "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" and "Standing on the promises of God".  For me this is a fresh and enjoyable context to hear these songs.

tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 08:37:23 am »

The old hymns has meaning, and a story.

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms:

CHORUS:
LEANING, LEANING, SAFE AND SECURE FROM ALL ALARMS.
LEANING, LEANING, LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.

VERSE 1:

What a fellowship, what a joy divine
Leaning on the everlasting arms.
What a blessedness, what a peace of mine

Verse 2:

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way
Leaning on the everlasting arms
O how bright the path grows from day to day

Verse 3:

What have I to dread, what have I to fear
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near
Leaning on the ever lasting arms.

Author:
Elisha A Hoffman
Anthony J ShowAlter

Deut: 31:27
The eternal God is they refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. Cheesy
outdeep

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:31:27 am »

The old hymns has meaning, and a story.

CHORUS:
LEANING, LEANING, SAFE AND SECURE FROM ALL ALARMS.
LEANING, LEANING, LEANING ON THE EVERLASTING ARMS.

VERSE 1:

What a fellowship, what a joy divine
What a blessedness, what a peace of mine

Verse 2:

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way
O how bright the path grows from day to day

Verse 3:

What have I to dread, what have I to fear
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near
Leaning on the ever lasting arms.

Author:
Elisha A Hoffman
Anthony J ShowAlter

Deut: 31:27
The eternal God is they refuge and underneath are the everlasting arms. Cheesy
In looking back at this song, I would admit that it was probably one of the more "fun" songs to sing in my Assembly years.  The tune was upbeat and catchy. 

But, looking at it now, I can see why it didn't make it as a cherished classic.  I know the message is to trust Jesus even when things are going bad, but it has been my experience that there are things that alarm us, there are things we should be concerned about and not every moment is joyful, happy sunshine.

Some of the phrases in the hymn are cliches.  What exactly is "this pilgrim way"?  Does our path really grow "brighter every day"?  And what exactly is meant by the metaphore "leaning on his everlasting arms"?  Does it mean to believe in God more than I already am?  What exactly are we encouraging people to do in order to enter into this cheery bliss void of any and all conflict?  And in what planet or spiritual state does this happen?  Not in one that I've found.

To me, this hymn is the Christian's answer to the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" which is also a fun song to hum when you are in the mood for superficial fluff.
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:29:52 am »

Hi Dave:  I like the way your thought processes, thinking things through, questioning. Even Paul in his letters warned us to question, test to see if it aligns with word of God.

It is a song of hope.

That hope that Jesus will be our strength in times of trials, testings, everyday life which plague us.

Everlasting Arms:  Jesus arms dont get tired, always available, eternity, He carries us through.

The piligrim way: think of this as our Christian Journey, it is a bumpy road. Yet Jesus didnt promise us a easy time of it. This Present life is our Journey to the next one.
The next one of promise.
Like the Children of Israel wilderness where we learn from Jesus , to rely on HIm, depend on HIm.

The path that gets brighter.  Sometimes I think that light at the end of tunnel ...it is a very long tunnel....but it still there.
As we get closer to complete the journey though the tunnel, that light of hope does get brighter.

The eternal home of heaven, is our light of hope.  Jesus is our light...Maybe it seems like a long way off....Jesus will light our way...sometimes we question if it is really there...Jesus is there.

I dont know if I am explaining this satisfactory, Leaning on the Everlasting Arms..Is a song of hope, nestling in the strong arms of Jesus, that can carry me though any difficulty, if I remember to lean on him to see me though.

Lenore
tenderhearted

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 10:58:02 pm »

Smiley

As I am getting older, I am appreciating the old hymns more.
I do like fast beat chorus, with a wonderful message.

I attend an conservative Baptist Church, which consist heavily of seniors.

When the pastor introduces new chorus, I really like to get in their an worship, not just with voice(because my voice is a make a joyful noise type one) but with hands etc.

PSALMS 150.

Which way do you perfer to worship when singing praises to the Lord.

Lenore
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: