AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 05:15:05 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My 3 Year Assembly Saga  (Read 11277 times)
GDG

Email
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:10:18 am »

First of all I would like to say THANK YOU for this web site!!!!! Grin     ???OK, I've tried for the past ten minutes to put into words what it has meant to me to be able to read and relate to the thoughts and experiences of so many....let me just repeat THANK YOU!!!
I hope you don't mind if I take this opportunity to share some of my experiences.
I would like to begin by expressing my undying gratitude and appreciation to David Geftakys.  Had he not ripped my heart out and humiliated me when I asked to move back into the sister's house I'm sure I would have stayed in bondage for many more years.  To him my deepest thanks (could this be considered a vpa  Wink?).  The only sad part about this episode is that Judy defended me during this meeting.  I began to cry and DG told me that my tears meant absolutely nothing.  Judy stood up for me at this point.  It breaks my heart to think what she probably suffered for her kindness.  But this is actually the end of my story, let's go to the beginning.

I met the saints on a college campus (bet you never heard that before  Wink) when I was 18.  I began attending the campus Bible study and started attending assembly meetings soon after.  Five months later I moved into a sister's apartment.  I grew up in your typical dysfunctional home, so I was drawn to the "Bible based", "super spiritual" attmosphere.  I had been saved the year before, but had no real instruction as to what it meant to be a Christian.  I thought these people had the answers.
I lived with two roommates and from them I learned the basic tenets of sisterhood.  Oh, I forgot to mention, I had a boyfriend.  We had gone to high school together and were saved within weeks of each other.  He joined the Navy after hs so we didn't get to see each other very often, but when he did come to town we tried to spend lots of time together.  Well, you can guess how that went over with the LBs.  (My young beau actually attended the assembly in Chicago (not where I lived) a few times and perhaps one day he will share his story on the BB, but I digress.)  It wasn't long until the relationship was disolved, after all, how can someone in the military truly be walking with the Lord?Huh Hmmmm?Huh (We'll come back to this fellow later)
After several months of living with the sisters, a worker couple came from the holy land of Fullerton and started a sisters house.  Ah, but that was not to be my home. At least not yet.  I was asked to move into the bros house.  Now, at the time I thought I was all that to be singled out for this honor.  Can anyone say "dork"?  I lived there to help out the home town worker couple that had just had a baby.  Whenever the baby cried in the middle of the night, I was expected to get up out of my bed from accross the hall, enter the master bedroom and take the baby from his crib to his mother to nurse and then I changed him.  Little matter that I had school and a job.  (You know, I had help like that when my babies came.  It was called a HUSBAND!!!)  And not one time did this sister ever tell me thank you or show appreciation in any way.  My service was simply expected.
There is nothing lower on the food chain than a single sister in a brothers house.  Everyone holds rank over you. Even the baby dictated what I did and when.  A prime example of this was the way the rest of the household treated my car.  It was my first car, a 1967 Plymouth Valiant (Bring back memories fellow old timers?).  No one in the house asked me if they could use it.  They would TELL me that they needed it (at least I got that courtesy, I suppose they could have just driven off without saying anything. Wait a minute, they did that too..sigh).  And forget about replacing the gas.  If I had a full tank before they left, I could count on an empty tank when I next got behind the wheel.  Another example of the lack of respect given a sister happened one Saturday when 3 or 4 brothers were at the house and they were hungry.  No meal was planned, but I offered to get something together.  I heated up some soup along with a few other things we had in the fridge.  After he prayed a LB turned to speak to me.  I thought surely he was going to thank me or express some type of approval for all the trouble I had gone to (heaven forbid that anyone could have helped me put the meal together).  His acknowledgment of my work was "Sister, when you serve soup, you should set the table with large spoons, not small ones."
That was it.  I was devastated.  Then, of course the brothers left to do their important brother things, and I was left with the clean up after them.
OK, enough with the whining. Well, maybe not enough, but I'll stop for now. Grin
Wanna know some of the things this rebellious little sister did?  I worked for a couple of LBs for a time (at the request of GG no less) and my predecessor always prepared a hot lunch for these guys (again with the food, oy) so I was also expected to shop, cook, serve, and clean up.  I asked one of my employers if perhaps we could take turns cooking or if I cooked, could they clean up?  I was told no, that it was my job.  I asked if I was going to get paid for my time.  Again I was told no.  From that day on I brought my own lunch or ate out, but I never set foot in that kitchen again. 
Another bit of rebellion came when I was living with the sisters again.  A discussion was had at the end of a mid-week meeting between an LB and we sisters about who would take a visitor home.  One of the sisters said "we will see to it that Gloria gets home" and so the LB went on his way.  Now the sister that spoke up had to work that night (3d shift) and what she meant by "we" was that I (yours truly) would do the taxi run (the other sisters also worked 3rd shift that night).  By this point in my assembly life, I had reached a saturation point of others deciding when and for what I would "volunteer."  I had taken Gloria home a couple of weeks earlier and had a car accident.  I wasn't keen on making the drive again.  So I handed my keys to my dear sister and told her she could use my car to drive our visitor home.  "But I'll be late for work," she protested.  To which I replied, "Then you shouldn't have volunteered."
Now, I will humbly state here, and I am quite sure to my reader's shock and horror  Shocked that I did my fair share of "assemblyistic behavior" when dealing with my brothers and sisters.  For this I honestly do apologize.  I could brandish a holier than thou attitude with the best of them.  If you are one that I offended, please send me an e-mail and let me know.  I would like to give you a personal apology.  Nancy, I would like to take this oportunity to apologize for reading your journal.  I don't think I ever told you I was sorry, but after 25 years, I still regret what I did.
Well, I have been at this posting way too long and I'm sure you're bored to tears, so let me finish up here.
As I mentioned above, I did move into the sisters house eventually, the one with the workers from Fullerton.  And yes, it was an assembly training house, but I still have some fond memories of those days.  However, it was while living there that I hit the brick wall as far as coping with the emotional stress of assembly life.  I won't go into detail, because if you were a part of this system, you know all too well what I'm talking about.  One stress that I had that was not typical (at least I hope and pray not) was that I was being sexually abused during this time (not by the brother in the sister's house).  The "brother" that was doing this, I am sure, thought I had no idea what was going on.  I don't want to go into further explanation other than to say I was a naive young woman and he took advantage of that fact. 
One afternoon I decided to pack and leave.  The only other person in the house at the time was a sleeping roommate.  We lived in the basement and her bed was between all of my stuff and the door.  Either she was a VERY sound sleeper or I was just incredibly quiet, but I got all of my stuff out and packed into my car without her waking up.  I moved into my grandma's house.
I still attended meetings for awhile and even tried to move back in with the sisters (again, thanks DG for your kindness). 
Remember that guy from the Navy?  Well he'd been doing some heavy duty praying and he came home on leave about this time because he was still in love with a certain someone (that would be me).  But his prayer was "Lord, I love her, but we can't be together if she's still a part of that group."  Well, I could fill another post with how we came to be.  Just know that on Feb 21, 2006 we will celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.
Thanks for letting me ramble.  Please forgive me if I have offended you in this writing.  It's just such a blessing to know that I can write this and there are a host of people out there who can relate to what I'm saying.
Blessings,
Gay
outdeep

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 05:56:42 pm »

Wow!  One of the best posts in a long time.  Thank you for sharing your story.  It is very clear to me that you simply did not want what the Lord wants and abandoned the heavenly vision for a paltry relationship  Wink (You know I'm jesting.)

M2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 06:17:35 pm »

Looks like you came and went, from the assembly, before I was even saved.   Wow! what a story.  and all that in 3 years.  And Geftakysism was "in" even then.  Incredible.

Marcia
vernecarty
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 07:51:30 pm »

Nancy, I would like to take this oportunity to apologize for reading your journal.  I don't think I ever told you I was sorry, but after 25 years, I still regret what I did.Gay

Would this by any chance be Nancy Newswander?
There is a certain bitter-sweet quality to your narrative Gay and I so appreciate your sharing it.
I have absolutely no doubt that what you have related is entirely accurate.
Strangely enough, during my assembly years some of the dearest friendships I formed were with the Chicago saints.
Nancy and I used to be very good friends a long time ago. Our persepective on the era is now quite different.
I have never laughed so hard as I did with Gary Mau as we traded outrageous car stories, including blowiing the motor mounts off my souped-up '68 fastback... Smiley
How strange that a place in which such deep and genuine friendships were  once formed, could also be a place of such unspeakable darkness and perversion!
It is unquestionably testimony to the remarkable grace of God to some of us during our sojourn in our house of bondage.
I am happy to say that in my case many of those frienships have been recovered and restored...not all unfortunately, but many...
Verne
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 07:54:56 pm by VerneCarty » Logged
just me

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 08:34:49 pm »

Gay:
Thank you so much for your story.  It sure rings familiar.  It certainly demonstrates that the effects of assemblyism never completely go away.

Recently someone told us all to "get a life" and leave this board.  Well we have lives and we've gone on, but our lives also include all the abuses of geftaysism that have permanently changed us.  And some of us were in for over 20 years and didn't take the great opportunity you had to leave.  The results on people's lives are varied.  Considering that the 3 year anniversary of the fall of it all hasn't even passed yet, I'd say we are doing pretty good.  Many of us are finding our old personalities, interests and pursuits again.  Some are finding that these old personalities were depressive and disfunctional to start with and they are having a hard time finding significance and meaningful pursuits.  Some are finding themselves in horrible assembly (arranged) marriages.  Some are in terrible financial difficulty (no retirement etc. thanks to assembly).

So the point of my post is; to say thank you to you Gay for expressing our common experience so well; and to defend the need that many of us still have to lurk here and to write occassionally of our continued journey away from all the assembly CRAP in our lives.
Me
grown up
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 04:41:24 am »

I too thank you for your story. I was in "fellowship" for 14 years and the things you say provide confirmation that I wasn't alone. When I left fellowship 7 plus years ago I left and for years I felt guilty about it mostly after a "leading bro" wrote a letter to me(I almost wish I had kept that letter" because when I left I went to his house and dropped off the key to the meeting hall and drove away I wasnt expecting to get an angry letter. I left with no anger or bitterness. I just left trusting the Lord because the assembly was all that I knew and didn't know what to expect. 3 years ago I started hearing simiilar stories which confirmed all the more my decision to leave. I am very thankful for this BB and the believers on it
GDG

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 07:39:07 am »

It took me quite a while to get up the courage to make that post and I have to say I was a bit nervous about it's reception.  ...the post was not intended to cast blame and make myself out to be a wounded victim.  It is just intended to express the truth from my point of view and offer an avenue for healing (if that makes sense) for those with similar experiences.  Reading the bb has been VERY cathartic for me.  I want to offer the same gift back to others.  And I have to say that putting all of those thoughts and feelings out in the open had it's own cathartic properties.
Thank you to all who have responded.  Your kind reception has made me feel more comfortable about expressing what has been rumbling around inside for all of these years.  I was hoping that I wasn't coming across as despising everyone in the assembly because (with a couple of exceptions) I could see myself behaving in a similar way if I was walking in their shoes.  "But for the grace of God go I" type of thing.
Mario,
I understand the feelings of guilt.  I was blessed to only have 3 years to base them on.  I can't imagine 14.  I wish I had also found the bb 3 years ago, but the Lord's timing is perfect and I am blessed to be here now.

just me,
It sounds to me like you have a story to tell yourself.  I look forward to the day when you feel ready to share it.  Thanks for your encouragement : )

Verne,
"Would this by any chance be Nancy Newswander?"
I am sorry to say that I have never met Nancy N.  It was my hubby that spent time in Chicago.  He was at Great Lakes for boot camp and sought out the assembly in 1977.  

"How strange that a place in which such deep and genuine friendships were  once formed, could also be a place of such unspeakable darkness and perversion!"
I agree.
It is unquestionably testimony to the remarkable grace of God to some of us during our sojourn in our house of bondage.
I am happy to say that in my case many of those frienships have been recovered and restored...not all unfortunately, but many..."

I am also hoping to redeem some friendships.

Marcia,
Now I feel old  Grin  But seriously, thanks for your encouragement.

Dave,
I know, I just went to the assembly to pick up guys anyway  Grin
But really, thanks

Blessings,
Gay

M2
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 08:05:51 am »

Speaking of feeling old:

WillPrey called me a middle aged loser today.
My husband is turning 50 in a couple of weeks.
I will be 48 in Sept, and we will be celbrating our 27th wedding anniversay soon.

AND I gave 21+ years to the assembly. Embarrassed

Hope you feel better now Gay. Smiley

Marcia

PS. Re. Nancy, I gathered from your previous posts, that you are referring to a Nancy from STL eh??
MM
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:31:45 am by Marcia » Logged
GDG

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 08:16:21 am »

Thanks Marcia, that made me feel much better.  This means, until your birthday, we are the same age  Grin and we ARE NOT losers!!
Viva 1958  Wink
You are correct about Nancy.
Blessings,
Gay
GDG

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 08:23:59 am »

Oops!  Maybe I'm getting "Old Timers" after all.
I should have said "Viva 1957" for you Marcia.
Both were AWESOME years.
Gay
M2
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 05:39:23 pm »

Thanks Marcia, that made me feel much better.  This means, until your birthday, we are the same age  Grin and we ARE NOT losers!!
Viva 1958  Wink
You are correct about Nancy.
Blessings,
Gay

Oops!  Maybe I'm getting "Old Timers" after all.
I should have said "Viva 1957" for you Marcia.
Both were AWESOME years.
Gay

Check this out:

www.infoplease.com/year/1957.html

www.infoplease.com/year/1958.html

Marcia
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 07:58:55 am »

Thanks Gay,

I also enjoyed reading your story and want to thank you for doing so.  It is very helpful to many to hear these autobiographies of their Assembly experience because many left feeling very guilty and defeated.

I would like to also encourage other former members who are thinking about sharing their story to go ahead and give it a go.

More than anything else it is these "testimonies" of former members that stick in our memories and give us resolve to resist the evils of such false religion wherever we find it.

Thanks again, and God Bless,  Mark C.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 10:40:49 am »

Good story! and I like your ID picture too.  I posted a copy of the kitten picture in the "photo post" thread almost a year and a half ago, on February 26, 2004.  Most of the photos in that thread disappeared during the BB conversion, but a list of links to the missing photos is posted near the end of that thread.

GDG

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 07:16:13 pm »

Hi Stephen,

I think this picture is hilarious, but also, it is a pretty good depiction of how I felt in the assembly.

Blessings,
Gay
Oscar

Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 03:32:29 am »

Speaking of feeling old:

WillPrey called me a middle aged loser today.
My husband is turning 50 in a couple of weeks.
I will be 48 in Sept, and we will be celbrating our 27th wedding anniversay soon.

AND I gave 21+ years to the assembly. Embarrassed

Hope you feel better now Gay. Smiley

Marcia

PS. Re. Nancy, I gathered from your previous posts, that you are referring to a Nancy from STL eh??
MM

Marcia,

Feeling old, huh?

I am 63, and the hinges in my legs seem to be a little more creaky than in earlier years.   

But that doesn't mean that its over.

When I graduated from Biola last May, there were three other guys my age that graduated with me, and one lady about 55. 

Why earn an M.A. at my age...?   Because I want to "run" to the end of the highway, and serve God joyfully all my days.  The degree is just a step along the way.

Regarding those "lost" years...

Once, just after I left, I was talking to an old family friend.  I was bewailing my "wasted" time in the assembly.  He said to me, "Tom, maybe God was protecting you from making a worse choice."

That put the issue into a new light.

My admittedly painful sojourn in the assembly led to some learning and changes in my life that I am glad I experienced.  A few are:

1. I was forced to really hammer out, in my own mind, what I believe.
2. I was forced to decide to act upon my real beliefs, facing my fears.
3. I was forced to learn to really walk by faith.
4. I learned that when you lose what you have depended on...God is still there.
5. I learned that my relationships with many folks who I had considered my friends were insubstantial.
6. I learned to love, respect, and value many folks I had thought of as "weak bretheren."
7. I learned the joy of friendship with people of true godly character and maturity.
9. I learned many things about myself.
10. I learned just how bitter the chains of legalism are, and the sweetness of God's grace.
11. I learned to that seeking the "perfect" church is a fool's errand, but that serious, healthy churches filled with godly people come in many "flavors".
12.  I learned the dangers of mysticism, especially of taking people's claims of special "unction" seriously.
13. I learned that I had much to learn.

And...more.  But the assembly was a life changing experience for me, and I am glad to have learned these, and other, things.

Now, if you ask me would I rather have learned these lessons in a school with less expensive "tuition".   YOU BET!

BTW, Caryl and I celebrated 40 years of marriage last January.

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: