AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:09:59 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bicycle riding  (Read 5034 times)
mithrandir
« on: July 28, 2005, 11:44:16 pm »

I recently bought an new bike.  It had something to do with gas prices going up past $2.50 per gallon.  When I get some time, I'd like to post a few thoughts on commuting by bike, and on the lifestyle adjustments necessary for this.  In the meantime, I'm thinking about taking a bike trip from Fullerton to San Juan Capistrano sometime during the Labor Day weekend.  Anyone want to come along?  It would be a day trip.  We could ride the Amtrak back to Fullerton.

Clarence Thompson
mithrandir
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:20:18 am »

Gas recemtly cracked the $3.00/gallon barrier here in So. Cal.  That's for premium, though 89 octane will soon follow, I think.  Today I spent $43.00 to fill up my tank.  $43!   Shocked Shocked  Meanwhile, oil companies are raking in the dough like hogs at feeding time.  I own a Ford Ranger truck.  I bought it 8 years ago because I knew I needed a truck, but couldn't justify buying a jacked-up 350 horsepower "guy toy."  Yet in the last month, I've seen a distressing number of fools, madmen (and yes, madwomen too) driving shiny new toys, humongous Chevy and Ford and Dodge extended cab trucks with duallies, and various versions of Hummers, Lexuses (or is it Lexi?), Nissan and Toyota full sized trucks, etc.

Within the last two months I've decided, in the words of one famous movie character, that "I'm mad...and I'm not going to take it anymore!"

So now I have a bicycle.  It gets around 20 miles per meal, depending on how much you eat and how hard you pedal.  I've been riding it on the weekends to do shopping and other errands.  For four days last week I rode it from my house to the train station in order to go to work, about a 15-mile round trip with a few hills on the way.  In my next post I'll tell you a little more about the experience, including advice on some roads to avoid in Fullerton if you're on a bike.  One little preview: during the first week after I bought the bike, a 14-year old kid who lives across the street from me said, "Hey Mister Thompson!  I'll race you for pink slips!"

That's all for now...

Clarence Thompson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: