AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 08:10:31 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I Hate this about My Job!  (Read 6022 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 21, 2005, 06:05:41 am »

I began working as a therapist today. My 3rd patient was a 28 year old spinal cord injury. He plays (ed) the drums for a local band,
 "F-Way-Home." The guy is a c-5. complete. So were talking, mostly I am talking, then he says, "How long till I start walking?"
 Cry
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:28:32 am »

Dave:

What is a "c-5" and what kind of therapy are you doing? 

Matt Sciaini
David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:26:27 am »

I have a license in occupational therapy. The spinal column is separated into three sections. the lumbar the thoracic and the cervical. The lumbar involves the lowest section, the thoracic the mid section and the cervical the upper section. If a person is a complete spinal cord injury in the cervical section he will have no ability to walk ever again. That is unless new developments are made in medical science. Stem cell research has indicated possible advancements but guess who nixed that idea. Worked with the guy again today. He basically wants morphine all the time so he can just escape. Can you blame him?

http://www.spinalinjury.net/html/_anatomy_of_a_spinal_cord.html
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 03:34:49 am by David Mauldin » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:26:41 am »

Think about the worst day of your life!  The worst day of mine happened in 1980. I found out my wife was cheating on me. When I confronted her she left. It was the worst nightmare I ever went through. It took years for me to adjust/get over it. Now this guy would gladly trade 5 of those days for his present situation!!!
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 10:29:44 pm »

Dave:

If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong and point me to a source), GWB did not nix the idea of stem-cell research but simply did not approve of federal funding for it. 

Matt
David Mauldin
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 05:02:55 am »

Hmmmmmm it depends on what nix means? in this months National Geographic there is an article on Stem Cell research. The article explains that Bush banned U.S government funding for stem cell research in 2001. This has resulted in the fact that other countries are moving far ahead of the U.S. in the development of this resource. Yet another advancement of science hindered by religious superstition.  Yesterday I worked with an elderly asian woman. She is in a coma. She was in an auto accident. Her daughter was driving when they were hit broadside by another car. The daughter was killed instantly!  Imagine the tragedy when this woman wakes up they have to tell her that her daughter is dead.!!!!!  I am glad I only do this part time! Shocked
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 06:33:34 am by David Mauldin » Logged
matthew r. sciaini

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2005, 08:10:04 am »

Dave:

Like I said, FEDERAL funding was prohibited for stem-cell research.  This does not rule out private foundations making their contributions for this.

Also, bring it to the public for a vote.  Perhaps we want to support it financially, perhaps we don't.

And what do you mean when you talk about religious superstition stopping this?

Matt Sciaini

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: