AssemblyBoard
April 18, 2024, 10:09:21 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What Makes a Good Leader???  (Read 4614 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 11, 2005, 07:51:09 am »

The fact that I am school teacher (a person who is expected to lead students and follow my principal) I have often considered the topic of leadership.  What makes a good leader?  Why is it that some people are able to lead a church into a thriving community of peace and harmony when others can take the same church and have it divided in 6 months time?  Why do some teachers seem to be able to get their students to do their best work without the threat of discipline???  What makes a good leader?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 08:09:40 am by David Mauldin » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 08:48:50 am »

David

I am going to quote a part of an email I received as part of our Church Worship Team.  We are exhorted to be examples to the congregation because the Life of the Individual is more important than the gift. I know I still have alot to learn but this is my goal as a Worship Leader.

Hugh
-----------------------------------------

We will briefly look at three areas of character, or sounds (fruits empahsis mine taken from Gal.) of the Spirit, that should resonate from every worship leader's life:

1) The Sound Of Holiness

Holiness is pure living. Holiness is manifest in a heart that chooses innocence and honesty in the face of a world bent on self-indulgence. The sound of holiness is heard from a heart postured to honour God at all costs by following His ways, living honestly, openly and accountably to God and others, convinced that God empowers us to live "blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation" (Phil. 2:15).

2) The Sound Of Faithfulness

Faithfulness is committed living. Faithfulness is manifest in a heart that keeps its commitments vibrant to God, and to people. The sound of faithfulness is heard from a heart that is involved in 'loyal commitments': showing up on time, doing tasks thoroughly and being consistent with our promises. We expect God to then, according to His promises, show Himself to be faithful and dependable to us (2 Sam. 22:26).

3) The Sound Of Integrity

Integrity is consistent living. Integrity is manifest in a heart that lives a public life consistent with our private beliefs. The sound of integrity is heard from a heart that is righteous in both their hidden, and overt, dealings. Integrity is about "truth in the inmost places" (Psalm 51:6) ruling and reigning in our motives and attitudes, making us men and women of our word. "

The lasting quality of our worship leadership depends on the lasting quality of our internal character.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 08:52:57 am by Hugh » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 10:55:03 pm »

Bro I would agree in principle that the life is more important yet the gift is fundamental. I think of two friends, one Denise Klomp, a former leader with Intervarsity and Tom Knox an Open Air Campaign street preacher. Tom is the most sincere christian I know. He has as demonstrated over and over a life of dedication and integrity. Denise on the other hand had very serious questions reguarding her faith during the last two years of her staff position at Intervarsity. Yet Denise not Tom was able to convince people to provide her with financial support. (Denise never even asked for support it just came in the mail!) While Tom spent many hours visiting churches putting on presentations concerning his ministry etc.. Yet no one would cut him a check!!!!   Why??? Why were people able to look at Denise and say, "This is worthwhile" and not even notice Tom?Huh   Contray to what I was taught in the Assembly, leadership has much more to do with gift! It is not enough to just be a commited faithful brother/sister it is a quality that some people have and others don't.  Charles Swindal (Spelling?) Use to come into the store where I worked while I was attending the Assembly. What made this guy a successful leader?  1. He could communicate!  No doubt about it!   2. He was able to communicate in such a way as to come across as a serious believer in the Word without alienating the vast majority of the 5000 members of his church!!  He could hold to Biblical principles and yet still be user friendly!!!  This is a gift!!!  3. He has an ability to deal with all of the trash that is thrown at him!  anyone who is a leader must be able to have 'Water off a ducks back" ability when it comes to criticism!  This is a gift!!!  Or maybe these are classes one takes in seminary???   Thanks for the input let's chat more!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 11:01:45 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 03:08:09 am »

David

Yes you do also have to have the gift. The gift is given for the purpose of whatever God wants you to be equipped for. So yes I agree. I guess what happens is the gift that people see in others gets people interested and the life holds them to come back for more. The Life makes the difference in others in the long run.

I heartily agree with you that if you are not gifted in an area perhaps God has another area for you and that should be your place to work. Sincere believers who are not equipped for the task should consider maybe this is not what God wants them to do. Although we are taught to be available for whatever that may not be what is meant by being available for whatever to do anything I figure needs doing. Rather it may mean to be flexible to do what God wants at any given time with the gift He provided already.

So Gift or Life it is not either but both. I want a plumber for the tap and an electrictian for the wires and not some well meaning Christian who says God will help me do it who is inexperienced. Eventually these people you mentioned may gain the needed experience to become more effective but perhaps they need to learn some more or even maybe they have another calling better suited for them awaiting them. You have to know what you are doing and you need to be dedicated to do it properly with integrity.

Hugh
Recovering Saint

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:49:27 am »

David

I have had to think over some of what I have been saying about Leadership and I have to add to my remarks that I believe that if a person is not led by God's leading in their life ultimately in Eternity what they have been doing has failed even if on the surface it appears to have worked. Leaders are made by God eg. Moses and other prophets. He gives ability but it is from a life that is allowing Him to lead them that they lead others. My answer though correct in part did not speak to the matter of faith and only expressed a formula of do this and that results. God is not limited in what He can do in a life wholly devoted to Him. It is complex matter and a simple answer will not suffice.

Hugh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: