AssemblyBoard
April 19, 2024, 04:24:19 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the &*%#@ (Bleep) Do We Know?  (Read 21218 times)
vernecarty
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 07:15:43 pm »

Verne,

My explanation would be that I wouldn't want to sniff the shoes of the person who used those terms.

Roll Eyes

Thomas Maddux

Indeed! Nor would I advise any unnecessary exposure, so to speak. Smiley
Verne
vernecarty
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 07:38:19 pm »

summer et al,

The nature of being deceived is that one is convinced in one's mind that one is doing the right thing, or at least has not done the wrong thing. Marcia

While that is often true, it does not necessarily always hold true. Part of the condition of deception is knwoingly doing the wrong thing, but with the secret expectation that one will get away with it. This was clearly Georges's condition. (come to think of it he did get away with it for quite some time did he not?)

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Verne
summer007

Email
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2005, 10:29:49 pm »

Right Verne we don't want to presume upon the grace and mercy of God. In my origional post I meant to say I've had alot of mercy and grace. (There's alot of crimminals who would'nt of done the crime if they'd known they'd get caught.) Look at Jonah with Ninevah he knew the Lord was good, gracious merciful so he fled to Tarshish, but God caught him in the great fish and helped him change his mind. God was merciful to Ninevah and Jonah was very angry to the point of death, yet God was still good to him.  Summer.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2005, 12:21:31 am »

My point was that the way GG read the Bible, (which btw is the way many who post here STILL read their bibles), was subjective and based on a false mysticism.

Thomas Maddux

Tom,
Could you go into a little more detail how many still read the Bible GG style. In hindsight I can see how many bonehead decisions have been / can be made applying the Bible this way.

The best example would be to read Sondra's "expository" posts.

Thomas Maddux

Finally..... a very refreshing post.

Thank you Tom, for stating it clearly. It's been a while since we heard that.

Moonflower
Oscar

Email
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2005, 11:35:53 pm »

Verne,

You said:

There are quite a few string theoreticians and  also quite a few mainstram astro-physicists that would disagree with you Tom. These guys are as hard-nosed as they come so far as mathematical rigour in science is concerned. They used to also pooh-pooh the concepy of multi-diemnsional reality as nonsense. They are now changing their tune because of some of the findings of string theory. Some of the predictions of the theory are , as you point out, impossib le to prove with the current state of knowledge. Not all are though...
Verne

While what you say is true, one must remember that the "findings" of string theory are purely theoretical.  The math, they say, is "elegant".

However, there are lots of string theory doubting Thomases in the world of physics and cosmology.

I discussed this with Hugh Ross.  He told me:
1. He thinks some of the early findings of string theory are true, such as the 10 dimensional universe.
2. He thinks that metaphysical speculation has entered in.
3. There is no way to test the theory.  Once the universe developed to a level that could sustain intelligent life, no observations of other possible universes is feasable.

My Cosmology professor, Dr. John Bloom, is in agreement.

BTW, I graduated with my M.A. in Christian Apologetics on May 27.  Cheesy

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux
vernecarty
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 12:40:19 am »

Verne,

You said:
While what you say is true, one must remember that the "findings" of string theory are purely theoretical.  The math, they say, is "elegant".

However, there are lots of string theory doubting Thomases in the world of physics and cosmology.

I discussed this with Hugh Ross.  He told me:
1. He thinks some of the early findings of string theory are true, such as the 10 dimensional universe.
2. He thinks that metaphysical speculation has entered in.
3. There is no way to test the theory.  Once the universe developed to a level that could sustain intelligent life, no observations of other possible universes is feasable.

My Cosmology professor, Dr. John Bloom, is in agreement.

BTW, I graduated with my M.A. in Christian Apologetics on May 27.  Cheesy

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

Congratulations my Friend!
Keep the faith!!  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
Verne
David Mauldin
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 01:01:16 am »

Tom, Congradulations!  I am hopeing to start my masters in history this Fall. Are you going to teach???
M2
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2005, 08:12:59 pm »

While that is often true, it does not necessarily always hold true. Part of the condition of deception is knwoingly doing the wrong thing, but with the secret expectation that one will get away with it. This was clearly Georges's condition. (come to think of it he did get away with it for quite some time did he not?)

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Verne

George deliberately deceived us.  We were the deceived ones.

Last night we were studying 1 Tim 5 in my cell group study.
NASB
1Tim 5:19 Do not receive an accusation against an elder except on the basis of two or three witnesses.
1Tim 5:20 Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also may be fearful of sinning.

NIV
1Tim 5:19 Do not entertain an accusation against an elder unless it is brought by two or three witnesses.
1Tim 5:20 Those who sin are to be rebuked publicly, so that the others may take warning.

When George was to be exposed and excommunicated he convinced those in SF/Sac that the brethren were not handling the matter Scripturally.  The interesting thing is that just prior to his exposure he stepped down from being an elder so that he would not qualify for public rebuke.  The other interesting thing is that years ago when he was made an elder and he went from assembly to assembly "appointing elders in every city" Tit 1:5, he actually put himself in a position where a 'single' sister's accusation against him would not be entertained, on a Scriptural basis of course.  Our leaders enabled George and were not able to be effective shepherds because they had become so brainwashed themselves.

According to my "source", not only did he attend a seminar in San Francisco over Memorial Day Weekend, but he is going camping with about 40 others at Big Sur over the Fourth of July. Knowing him as well as I do, and not being real sure that he has 40 friends to go camping with, is he describing an Assembly seminar disguised as a camping trip? I didn't ask for more details.

Tongue

Marcia
« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 08:18:43 pm by Marcia » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2005, 09:30:18 pm »

The other interesting thing is that years ago when he was made an elder and he went from assembly to assembly "appointing elders in every city"
Probably a bit overstated as he was probably by himself or alone with Betty when this momentous event took place.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: