AssemblyBoard
April 24, 2024, 02:22:32 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Garrison Keillor  (Read 6707 times)
David Mauldin
« on: June 03, 2005, 05:07:25 am »

My wife and I are going to the Hollywood Bowl this Friday to see "A Prarie Home Companion" anyone ever read, hear Garrison's stuff?  He was raised in a Plymouth Bretheren home and has written a lot about their dogmatism/ignorance/humor/good natured lives.
My favorite Bretheren story has to do with Sunday night chicken dinner. His mother uses the chicken dinner to quell a dispute about tounges.  It is all to real and hilarious at the same time!

http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 05:20:02 am by David Mauldin » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 11:07:10 pm »

Went to the show last night!  The Hollywood Bowl has been renovated, nice big screens halfway up towards the back seats. Great entertainment!  "Old Crow Medicine Show" 5 young guys who play some stompin southern/appellachian/cajun/4 part harmony music.   You can listen to it tonight on most public radio stations. Listen real hard and you can hear me in the audience!
summer007

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 07:55:46 am »

David, I hope you did the Picnic prior to the Concert? I can't handle that "Prairie Home Show" due to the fact people in the Assm would listen to it on Sat nights no T.V.'s allowed but this ONE radio show was ok, its not my cup of Tea. Too much Assm association! My Daughter just left with about 20 kids to her Senior Prom theme "Dancin in the Moonlight" remember the song? It was great to see the Guys in their Tuxes and Tails, even a few top-hats and all the Girls in their gorgeous formals lots of pics taken and they were wisked away in two stretch Limo's the driver assured me he removed all alcohol from the bar, yeah right! They should have the time of their lives.  Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 02:00:14 am »

Yes we did the picnic thing but we arrived late!  Traffic sucks in Southern California. What/where do you live again?  I am happy for your daughter. Birthdays, dances, parties, etc.. are so important in our children's development. Sorry that the saints have tainted your appreciation of Garrison Keillor. I find him to be therapeutic to my Assembly experience. Have you ever read "Sanctified Brethren" it is a chapter in his first book. He really tells it like it is. John Cage took the crudest instruments (Saws, springs, cookie sheets etc...) and made music from them. He described it as embracing the thing you fear the most and subjecting it into your controle. When we do this the thing can't controle us anymore.  I think this is what Garrison has done.
summer007

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 08:47:44 pm »

David, I live at the beach in L.A.about 5 miles from L.A.X. and could be in a snarl of traffic within 5 minutes after leaving the house, but I'm used to it. I Love L.A. having been born here I can't imagine living anywhere else. Garrison was always pretty funny when I heard him about 15-20 years ago, but Entertainment being a choice it's not something I would pick. Well my Daughter is no longer a child kind of liberating for me. The school puts on 3 formal dances a year, one semi formal and the kids have really had fun going. No I hav'ent read the book "Sanc Brethren" but nothings impossible.  Summer. p.s. you sure have alot of threads going! (not that there's anything wrong with that they're all pretty good.)
David Mauldin
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 08:40:35 pm »

Summer, where were you "in fellowship"? I use to attend a Bible Study in El Segundo. It was a Plymouth Bretheren group.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 08:42:06 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
summer007

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 02:31:48 am »

Dave, He was on the Late Show the other nite. Not bad! Also did'nt know El Seg had a "Ply Brethren" Church.( I'd never visit anyway.)  Summer.
David Mauldin
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 07:08:25 am »

The church disbanded after the guy leading it was transfered. ( Airforce.) It was a shame because it was probably the very last Plymouth Bretheren group that was majority attended by basicly 15 to 30 year olds.
outdeep

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 05:57:41 pm »

I used to listen to him quite often, but got out of the habit.  Believe it or not, he performed for an hour here in Boone, North Carolina.  Just him telling stories.  I was afraid because it was right before the election and I was hoping it wasn't going to become political.  It wasn't.  However, he told a funny story of a Democratic woman wondering how she ever married a Republican NASCAR-loving husband. 

I don't know if it was mentioned, but he grew up closed brethren.  He refers to them in his talks as the "Sanctified Brethren".  I can't recall if it was Lake Wobegon Days or other tapes where he talks about it.  Funny stuff because you can understand lots of his references.

David Mauldin
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 08:33:58 am »

Dave you are preaching to the chior, read the first post!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: