AssemblyBoard
April 27, 2024, 05:29:35 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: How many times a day do you wash your hands?  (Read 19701 times)
editor
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2005, 05:51:11 am »

She's a fair-weather friend, Brents.

Summer, back off. You will cause an OCD episode, an OCD trantrum. You are NOT being a friend to him.

You want to be his friend? Buy him a ticket to the ARAAC conference. You know he's going through a difficult time right now. BAAAAAAACK OFF!!

thank you for your understanding and support.
summer007

Email
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2005, 05:57:22 am »

Right..Hello enabeler Bel, is it beelzebub? Like this is a time to get Sheepish, huh? He could end up slothing around reading books, being so heavenly minded he's no earthly good. This hurts me, more then it hurts you!
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2005, 05:57:50 am »

thank you for your understanding and support.

No problem. I've got ya covered, Brentsie.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2005, 06:15:05 am »

Right..Hello enabeler Bel, is it beelzebub? Like this is a time to get Sheepish, huh? He could end up slothing around reading books, being so heavenly minded he's no earthly good. This hurts me, more then it hurts you!

Oh, Ho Ho. How many times have we heard this, now: Hurts me more than it hurts you? Yeah, yeah, yeah, the old paddle-the-butt guilt trip.

Left the gate open and the goat escaped, eh? Well, don't use Brentsie for your new one!

We could give you a new name here: Weasel. DON'T make waves in Brentsie's life now. He's like a bear that's hibernating while he heals.

Later.... oh you Daughter of George.

enchilada
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 08:55:19 am »

I go through 40 bottles of Liquid Soft Soap in a month, but I feel pretty normal.

--Joe

Here's a hundred or so tests to take: http://www.healthyplace.com/site/tests/psychological.asp#personality_disorders

If you take all of the tests, you may be compulsive.

I never wash my truck, so I guess I'm a slob. 

Dan
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 10:29:47 am by Dan Frederickson » Logged
vernecarty
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 09:33:23 am »

I know I am going to Hell and it shouldn't really matter if I do anything wrong or participate in anything wrong

Well, the only way any living person can know that is if they have taken the mark of the beast and worshipped him.
From a human perspective (the only one that practically matters to us), as long as you draw breath, God is nigh...

but my conscience is bothering me. Was this thread started in order to mock someone?? Someone who visits this board regularly and can see that she is being made fun of? If so I think it is pretty low behavior but maybe I should have known that this is what to expect by now?

I hear what you are saying David. I tend to be more direct when I want to infllict damage. I have never been one for subtlety. Hard to judge what motives are although you are right it does look contemptuous.
Never let the conduct of others disturb your own conscience. Speak the truth in love my friend.
Verne
editor
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 10:38:39 am »

I know I am going to Hell and it shouldn't really matter if I do anything wrong or participate in anything wrong but my conscience is bothering me. Was this thread started in order to mock someone?? Someone who visits this board regularly and can see that she is being made fun of? If so I think it is pretty low behavior but maybe I should have known that this is what to expect by now?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.

If we allow one to post like this, and say nothing....why not allow another?

Yes, this is mockery.  It certainly is.

No, I do not have OCD, and if I did, I wouldn't go to people who would make me into half a person.  I do know someone who had OCD, who was a school teacher, raised kids, and was an awesome guy.  He worked with wood, in a woodshop to manage his OCD.  His shop and tools were spotless, and his product was tremendous.

Simple, direct communication was tried with a person.  Public communication was also tried.  The result was a steady barrage of verbal abuse via email, and more of the same type of behavior.  In other words, the normal, "decent" channels were tried, to no avail.

Someone has to tell a person behaving like I have been to stop.  David said it, and he said it well.  However, what if I paid no attention to him and railed on him instead?  Would you excuse me and show me all sorts of mercy because you think I am stupid, or substandard?  I hope not.

Think about it.  Why is it wrong for me to behave this way?  I really do have all the symptoms of OCD, even if they are just a natural consequence of my work...I could certainly get a diagnosis if I wanted to.  Does a person have special rights because they are needy?  Shouldn't they benefit from adapting, instead of being accomodated? 

If a person can't walk, whould other people be forced to carry them....or should they get a wheelchair?  Which is best for the person?  The answer is obvious.

There is much more to be said here, but as long as I continue to get verbal abuse----which I do not respond to in kind-----and the person dishing it takes the spiritual highground....I'm going to mock.  It's well deserved.

The next step is to ignore them....then to ban them.  Is that what you think I should do?

David, you mock George, why is that OK?

Brent
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 10:59:37 am by Brent T » Logged
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 06:03:52 pm »

What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say.

If we allow one to post like this, and say nothing....why not allow another?

Yes, this is mockery.  It certainly is.

No, I do not have OCD, and if I did, I wouldn't go to people who would make me into half a person.  I do know someone who had OCD, who was a school teacher, raised kids, and was an awesome guy.  He worked with wood, in a woodshop to manage his OCD.  His shop and tools were spotless, and his product was tremendous.

Simple, direct communication was tried with a person.  Public communication was also tried.  The result was a steady barrage of verbal abuse via email, and more of the same type of behavior.  In other words, the normal, "decent" channels were tried, to no avail.

Someone has to tell a person behaving like I have been to stop.  David said it, and he said it well.  However, what if I paid no attention to him and railed on him instead?  Would you excuse me and show me all sorts of mercy because you think I am stupid, or substandard?  I hope not.

Think about it.  Why is it wrong for me to behave this way?  I really do have all the symptoms of OCD, even if they are just a natural consequence of my work...I could certainly get a diagnosis if I wanted to.  Does a person have special rights because they are needy?  Shouldn't they benefit from adapting, instead of being accomodated? 

If a person can't walk, whould other people be forced to carry them....or should they get a wheelchair?  Which is best for the person?  The answer is obvious.

There is much more to be said here, but as long as I continue to get verbal abuse----which I do not respond to in kind-----and the person dishing it takes the spiritual highground....I'm going to mock.  It's well deserved.

The next step is to ignore them....then to ban them.  Is that what you think I should do?

David, you mock George, why is that OK?

Brent

Very well put, oh thou vicarious mouthpiece.

I'm just washing my hands of this whole mess.
vernecarty
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 06:19:48 pm »

Now twenty years later I live in an apartment with some brothers. Do they understand who I am? Where I am from?)

David you story is not at all atypical. Most of us who ended up in the clutches of a man like Geftakys were searching for something. In my case, I was a first year graduate student very far from home and family, and having to quickly make adjustments in totally unfamiliar surroundings. The thing I remember about that time most is the overpowering lonliness and missing the islands. I think it made me more vulnerable than I would have been otherwise.
Verne
M2
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:59 pm »

.... Now twenty years later I live in an apartment with some brothers. Do they understand who I am? Where I am from?

My opinion David, the brothers should show compassion, support and encourage you, the victim, and help you find true healing from the abuse you suffered.

If I have been that friend to the victim then I would expect that when I share an opinion about a matter the victim would seriously consider it rather than blast me for not being supportive and encouraging.  I will not flatter just to remain in someone's good books.  Also, in situations like this, there is a lot that happens behind the scenes (sometimes) and, out of respect and politeness for the other, what gets posted on board is a toned down version.  So people on board do not always see the whole picture.

There are some people who enjoy their victim status and will prolong it for eternity.

Here is a quote from Beth Moore:
Her sudden paralysis could not keep God from surpassing Joni Ereckson Tada's dreams.  Her horrifying stay in a Nazi concentration camp could not keep God from surpassing Corrie Ten Boom's dreams.  Her world of poverty and suffering could not keep God from surpassing Mother Teresa's dreams.

God surpasses our dreams when we reach past our personal plans and agendas to grab the hand of Christ and walk the path He chose for us.

Marcia

P.S.  belfry, you are very punny. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 06:52:37 pm by Marcia » Logged
David Mauldin
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 07:13:39 pm »

Brent, you have a right to retaliate against someone who is attacking YOU. But I was brought into this thread unwittingly. I posted comments that could have been perceived as unkind to this person who I don't even know.  That is what is bothering my concience.
summer007

Email
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 09:29:56 pm »

David, This was really a run away train, no-one knew where it would end up! Summer. (Your so compassionate, its really sweet!) If I offended you I beg your pardon, we can't come on here and have cookie-cutter discussions and opinions really then whats the point, I "normally" do not post on impulse like that, then if I wait toooo long the discussion is over....I think the Lord is still in your heart, or really close by.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 10:28:01 am »

Who took the soap?
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2005, 01:00:05 am »

I'm pretty sure I'm not obsessive or compulsive, but if I don't type at least
twenty-four words in a post it drives me nuts.
vernecarty
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2005, 01:13:37 am »

I'm pretty sure I'm not obsessive or compulsive, but if I don't type at least
twenty-four words in a post it drives me nuts.

You are definitely NOT nuts...I counted!  Grin
Verne
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: