AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 04:50:05 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Forgiveness and Trust  (Read 15981 times)
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 02:59:36 am »

Anyone read Bold Love (NavPress 1992) by Dr. Dan B. Allender and Dr. Tremper Longman III   yet??

I haven't, but I found an interesting article about the book.  See: www.internetmonk.com/articles/B/boldlove.html

Marcia

Responses to the above post may be found on the "Forget and Forgive?" thread...

al
M2
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2005, 11:30:07 pm »

I finally ordered and got a copy of Bold Love.

Front cover:

From our earliest days on we learn to "forgive and forget."  But what happens when you can't forget?  Or when you can't forgive?  Then it's time to unleash the power of ... BOLD LOVE

> KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LOVING AN EVIL PERSON, A FOOL, AND A NORMAL SINNER
> WHAT IT MEANS TO "HONOR" A WICKED PARENT
> WHY ANGER USUALLY OUTLIVES FORGIVENESS
> HOW TO LOVE AN ABUSIVE PERSON WITHOUT OPENING YOURSELF UP TO MORE DAMAGE
> HOW A PASSION FOR REVENGE CAN WORK ON LOVE'S BEHALF

DR. DAN B. ALLENDER & DR. TREMPER LoNGMAN III

"ONE OF THIS YEAR'S TEN BEST BOOKS!" -CHRISTIANITY TODAY 1993 READER'S POLL

Back Cover:

If Christ had practiced the kind of love we advocate nowadays, He would have lived to a ripe old age.

We've come to view love as being nice. Forgiving and forgetting. Yielding to the desires of others.

Yet the kind of love modeled by Jesus Christ has nothing to do with manners or unconditional acceptance. Rather, it is shrewd. Disruptive. Courageous. And, as a result, socially unacceptable.

In Bold Love, Dr. Dan Allender and Dr. Tremper Longman III draw out the aggressive, unrelenting, passionate power of genuine love. Far from helping you "get along" with others, bold love introduces the outlandish possibility of making a significant, life-changing impact on family, friends, coworkers-even your enemies.

"Bold love is anything but passive," writes Dr. Allender. "It is unpredictable, cunning, and creative. It is a violation of the natural order of things. In many cases it will unnerve, offend, disturb, or even hurt those who are being loved. But in the end it will also compel them to deal with the internal disease that is robbing them (and others) of true beauty?"

So if it feels like you've turned the other cheek so many times your head is spinning, it's probably time to take a second look at your practice of love. Because there's nothing redemptive about a love that just accepts people for who they are.

"ORIGINAL, PROFOUND, AND DAZZLING!" -Brennan Manning, Author of The Ragamuffin Gospel

"IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE;' -Steve Brown, President, Key Life Network, and Professor of Preaching, Reformed Theological Seminary

"I'LL READ IT AGAIN AND AGAIN;' -Dr. Raymond Dillard, Professor of Old Testament, Westminster Theological Seminary

"THE BEST MODERN BOOK ON LOVE I'VE EVER READ;' -Dr. C. John Miller, Director, World Harvest Mission, and Author of Come Back, Barbara

"A FEAST!" -Mike Mason, Author of The Mystery of Marriage
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: