AssemblyBoard
April 20, 2024, 03:00:46 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Waffle House Experience  (Read 5845 times)
outdeep

Email
« on: January 16, 2003, 11:10:11 pm »

I once had a Waffle House Experience.

If you haven’t been to the South, a Waffle House restaurant is located on just about every freeway off-ramp throughout the Carolinas and Georgia (and perhaps beyond).  They all look alike, serve the same food, attract the same clientele, and operate in the same manner.  So much alike are they, you can stop for breakfast at one Waffle House and then stop in at another one three hundred miles later and feel like you really didn’t move and that you made no progress at all.  They provide security for those who find comfort in the predictable – a safe haven from the scary world out there where things are not so tidily managed.

I felt like this in 1995 when Loretta and I visited a tent meeting.  We had been out of the Assembly for five years and thought we would take one last look at our past before we moved to North Carolina.  

We made our way across the long Ralph’s market parking lot, across Harbor Boulevard, across the long grass field into the blue and white, banner strung tent guarded by alert doorkeepers.  We took our seats on the awkwardly slanted white folding chairs as the smell of fermenting grass brought back the memories of tent meetings past.

In the corner, the sound of a seal in distress moved us from conversation to attention.  We were relieved to find that it was merely a long time musical brother (who’s hair grayed greatly in the previous five years) who was leading us along with his trombone.  Tent meetings 1995 had begun:

'Tis the grandest theme through the ages rung;
   'Tis the grandest theme for a mortal tongue;
   'Tis the grandest theme that the world ever sung,
                Our God is able to deliver thee

Deliver thee?  Deliver the what?  Oh, yes.  Deliver you.  Our God is able to deliver you.  At least that is the way people talk in the present age.

Even though I had been gone for five years, I could have written the script.  The style of announcements, the order of service, the same jokes the MC made as he bumped into the microphone, the choice of hymns, the same earnest testimony from a college students using the same catch phrases, the same presentation of the gospel to the same lack of visitors.  In a day where evangelists are filling baseball stadiums and Promise Keepers is able to gather over a million men on the mall of Washington DC, I guess there was an ironic sense of amusement to find myself back in a Waffle House after all these years.

The oddest experience about the evening was when the mime troop played.  It was a different batch of earnest students, but they performed “The Mask”, a mime that originated in the early 1980’s when the group was first established.  It was performed exactly as I had seen it a hundred times before.  The same script, the same jokes, the same nuances.

What was odd was the way the Saints reacted.  They chuckled, guffawed, and howled as if it was the funniest thing they had ever seen.  Brothers and sisters who had watched this same piece several times every year for 15 years acting as if this was the most creative and original rendition of situation comedy that they had ever experienced.

Maybe it was.

As we made our way to the back of the tent after the meeting, a young college student who didn’t know me gave me an invitation to a mid-week Bible Study and offered me some tracts.  I thanked him politely, but I knew I wouldn’t go.  

It was time to pay the check, leave a tip on the counter, get into the car, and head down the highway.

editor
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 12:04:32 am »

Dave

10 Overcomer points for you!  You are a gifted writer!  This may find its way onto the main website.  Really excellent. Funny, reflective, instructive, THANK YOU!

Brent Smiley
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 02:23:22 am »

I pass three Waffle houses on my way to work, and never have been in one the three plus years here in Texas.  For those that have never seen one, imagine what it would be like being server breakfast food at your local donut shop!  Yeah right!   Shocked

BTW the same thing happened at the HB Pier Tents for the most part.  Yes, I know "numbers" are not the measuring stick, but gee whiz Wally, we were on HB Pier in the middle of summer and still saw little come of it, and you in/at the beach know what I am talking about.  I wish Earl Somerville would have been able to implement some of the things he had talked to some about (i.e., different entertaiment, and formats).  

Cest la vie!
G
Suzie Trockman
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 05:56:31 am »

Lego my Eggo
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 06:01:40 am »

Ok, now were did I put my waffle maker, like most people with them I use it everyday as well!   Grin
Uncle Buck
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 10:28:01 am »

I once had a Waffle House Experience.

If you haven’t been to the South, a Waffle House restaurant is located on just about every freeway off-ramp throughout the Carolinas and Georgia (and perhaps beyond).  They all look alike, serve the same food, attract the same clientele, and operate in the same manner.  So much alike are they, you can stop for breakfast at one Waffle House and then stop in at another one three hundred miles later and feel like you really didn’t move and that you made no progress at all.  They provide security for those who find comfort in the predictable – a safe haven from the scary world out there where things are not so tidily managed.

I felt like this in 1995 when Loretta and I visited a tent meeting.  We had been out of the Assembly for five years and thought we would take one last look at our past before we moved to North Carolina.  

We made our way across the long Ralph’s market parking lot, across Harbor Boulevard, across the long grass field into the blue and white, banner strung tent guarded by alert doorkeepers.  We took our seats on the awkwardly slanted white folding chairs as the smell of fermenting grass brought back the memories of tent meetings past.

In the corner, the sound of a seal in distress moved us from conversation to attention.  We were relieved to find that it was merely a long time musical brother (who’s hair grayed greatly in the previous five years) who was leading us along with his trombone.  Tent meetings 1995 had begun:

'Tis the grandest theme through the ages rung;
   'Tis the grandest theme for a mortal tongue;
   'Tis the grandest theme that the world ever sung,
                Our God is able to deliver thee

Deliver thee?  Deliver the what?  Oh, yes.  Deliver you.  Our God is able to deliver you.  At least that is the way people talk in the present age.

Even though I had been gone for five years, I could have written the script.  The style of announcements, the order of service, the same jokes the MC made as he bumped into the microphone, the choice of hymns, the same earnest testimony from a college students using the same catch phrases, the same presentation of the gospel to the same lack of visitors.  In a day where evangelists are filling baseball stadiums and Promise Keepers is able to gather over a million men on the mall of Washington DC, I guess there was an ironic sense of amusement to find myself back in a Waffle House after all these years.

The oddest experience about the evening was when the mime troop played.  It was a different batch of earnest students, but they performed “The Mask”, a mime that originated in the early 1980’s when the group was first established.  It was performed exactly as I had seen it a hundred times before.  The same script, the same jokes, the same nuances.

What was odd was the way the Saints reacted.  They chuckled, guffawed, and howled as if it was the funniest thing they had ever seen.  Brothers and sisters who had watched this same piece several times every year for 15 years acting as if this was the most creative and original rendition of situation comedy that they had ever experienced.

Maybe it was.

As we made our way to the back of the tent after the meeting, a young college student who didn’t know me gave me an invitation to a mid-week Bible Study and offered me some tracts.  I thanked him politely, but I knew I wouldn’t go.  

It was time to pay the check, leave a tip on the counter, get into the car, and head down the highway.

Dave,
I  wanted to repost this, it is just so well written...it takes you right back.

Buck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: