AssemblyBoard
April 30, 2024, 10:55:07 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Schwazenneggar and Abortion  (Read 22976 times)
M2
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2005, 10:30:18 am »

Dan:  Marcia informs me that they live in igloos in the winter, so the cheap lumber would only supply a summer home.  P.S.--- Summer lasts only a month and a half, and so for the rest of the year it is the Great White North! Wink

Yes, we're good at using our natural resources.  Hence, with the money saved we can provide free health care. Wink  You might need the wood for heating purposes.   Cool

Though, I hear that most Californians would rather shake and bake.

Marcia
enchilada
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2005, 11:28:05 am »

May I humbly suggest Tortola in the British Virgin Islands?
If you like snorkeling I've got a couple of great suggestions.
Scuba diving even better.
I also got a few acres over-looking the Caribbean Sea and I am going to need some good builders next year so let me know if you are available... Smiley
Verne

Verne,
Thanks for the kind and hospitable suggestion.  So many islands to pick from.  Tortola sounds like a beautiful place, and sounds like you have a very nice gig there with your view property.  Per my wife's requirement, I'll probably end up on a Carnival cruise liner, but it would be nice to go to a non-touristy place and hammer some nails.

Marcia,
I was in Vancouver last month, and it felt no different than in Seattle.  Canada is like another state, or more specifically, additional northern states.  I think the biggest difference is in the waterways, where the navigation markers are beautifully painted and well maintained.  Oh yeah, also the free health care.  But I think that the high taxes more than make up the difference, but ultimately balances out with the low cost lumber.  But I'm glad it's a separate country and that the US didn't acquire it, so that if I wanted to I could get some speeding tickets without having to worry about my insurance company finding out Cheesy
enchilada
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2005, 11:31:24 am »

Dan:  Marcia informs me that they live in igloos in the winter, so the cheap lumber would only supply a summer home.  P.S.--- Summer lasts only a month and a half, and so for the rest of the year it is the Great White North! Wink

God Bless, Mark C.

Well that's okay.  It would be fun to ride to work in a one-horse open sleigh.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 11:32:15 am by Dan Fredrickson » Logged
al Hartman

Email
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2005, 01:06:50 pm »

God Bless, Mark C.

Well that's okay.  It would be fun to ride to work in a one-horse open sleigh.

Dan

Ha!  Dan, sometimes you sleigh me! Grin Grin Grin

al

Oscar

Email
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2005, 11:51:14 pm »

Dan,

You wrote:

Marcia,
I was in Vancouver last month, and it felt no different than in Seattle.  Canada is like another state, or more specifically, additional northern states.  I think the biggest difference is in the waterways, where the navigation markers are beautifully painted and well maintained.  Oh yeah, also the free health care.  But I think that the high taxes more than make up the difference, but ultimately balances out with the low cost lumber.  But I'm glad it's a separate country and that the US didn't acquire it, so that if I wanted to I could get some speeding tickets without having to worry about my insurance company finding out  

You are right.  Canada shares much with the USA.  You see many of the same car repair chains, (Jiffylube, Oil Can Henry, Firestone, etc.), restaurants, and stores.  But when you look a little closer, the differences show up as well.

Last summer when we were in Calgary we went into a Safeway market.  We had some chuckles reading the French side of the labels on products we recognized.  One of the college age employees who had recognized us as Americans asked us if they had Safeway markets in the states.  Cheesy

Caryl wanted some postage stamps so we went over to the post office annex they had there in the store.  One of the customer service areas had a sign in it that said, "This Wicket Is Closed. Please Move To The Next Wicket."

I asked the fellow behind the counter if his wickets ever got sticky.   He didn't seem to think it was funny.

I guess that was pretty wicket of me.   Wink

Tom
M2
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2005, 11:24:10 pm »

Marcia,
I was in Vancouver last month, and it felt no different than in Seattle.  Canada is like another state, or more specifically, additional northern states.  I think the biggest difference is in the waterways, where the navigation markers are beautifully painted and well maintained.  Oh yeah, also the free health care.  But I think that the high taxes more than make up the difference, but ultimately balances out with the low cost lumber.  But I'm glad it's a separate country and that the US didn't acquire it, so that if I wanted to I could get some speeding tickets without having to worry about my insurance company finding out Cheesy

It's a matter of perspective Dan.   When I drive south on I81 through New York state, especially in the winter, I kind of view New York as being like another province. Wink

Marcia
Oscar

Email
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2005, 11:32:33 pm »

Marcia,

It's a matter of perspective Dan.   When I drive south on I81 through New York state, especially in the winter, I kind of view New York as being like another province. Wink

Marcia

Marcia,

You may have something there.  We might want to detach the "blue" states and give them to Canada.  

Or better...we could just send you all the Kerry voters.   Wink

Thomas Maddux
editor
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2005, 02:00:33 pm »

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050311-115948-2015r.htm

I think she's got it!

Condi is more a libertarian than a republican, from what I see.  Way to go Condi!

Brent
Oscar

Email
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2005, 11:25:51 pm »

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20050311-115948-2015r.htm

I think she's got it!

Condi is more a libertarian than a republican, from what I see.  Way to go Condi!

Brent

Brent,

Perhaps you are right.

It is difficult to understand exactly what she means by "The Federal government shouldn't force its views on anyone".   Does this mean there should be NO federal laws?

Or is the killing of unborn babies a special class of behavior that cannot be regulated by society?  How does she, or anyone else, know this is true?

I also wonder what "mildly pro choice" means.  Could one say they the slaughtered babies are "mildly" dead?

This, of course serves to illustrate the problem I have always had with libertarianism.  They seem to think that they can just "speak" rights into existence.  People have rights to this and rights to that...because we say so.

In case you haven't noticed, that is exactly the same thing the whacko leftists do down at U.N. headquarters.

Why is it better if Libertarians do it?

Thomas Maddux
editor
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2005, 04:56:31 am »

Sure, no government inteference would be great if this was like health care or something, but since abortion is murder, it is the government's responsibility to punish evil doers.

Arthur

Tom and Arthur,

All three of us agree on what abortion is.  I fund a newsletter for a pro-life crisis pregnancy center, and my wife worked as a counselor for another group that was 100% anti-abortion.  My pro-life credentials are impeccable, and probably better than yours, if you count doing something besides having strong sentiment. (maybe not, maybe you guys are actively involved, I don't really know)

Anyhow, what's the goal here?  Is the goal to limit the number of abortions that occur, or is the goal to have really strong anti-abortion, pro-life rhetoric?  I submit that the republicans are in first place when it comes to strong rhetoric, unless you count the pro-choice republicans.

However, have republicans limited abortion in any way, shape or form?  Have they passed a bill that decreased the federal puchase of murder/abortion?  Have they even taken a stand on it, other than to pander to Christian/mormon/Catholic voters?  The answer is NO.  They have not.  The last presidential republican convention is a prime example of what I'm talking about.  They showcased the pro-choicers, who according to you are murderers.

If you read the article about Condi, you would see that she talks about decreasing federal funding, and giving people who are morally opposed an alternative to being forced to pay for abortions through their taxes.  She also favors State's rights for the same.  That means that it is possible that Red states could actually make the procedure illegal, which would limit abortions, and save lives.

The republicans talk tough every four years, or not, depending on who they need to pander to, and then go on to do absolutely nothing to limit abortion. 

On the other hand, a libertarian would cut funding, which would decrease the number of murders.  I totally understand your straw man, and how you knock it down....been there, done that, hang out with people who have those views. 

I am results oriented.  I can condemn abortion as good as the next guy.  However, condemnation doesn't save a baby. 

Pro-life groups get zero federal funding, while murder clinics get billions.  If murder clinics were forced to hold fundraisers, like pro-life groups, they couldn't buy all the abortions they can now.  A libertarian approach would save far more lives than the traditional republican rhetorical approach.

Of course, if the tough talk is the real goal, then the republicans (other than the pro-choice ones) win.  I would rather make it harder to get an abortion, and keep it legal, then talk tough and have to buy a few every year.

On another note, Tom, if you think that Libertarians believe there should be no federal laws you are either stupid, ignorant, or biased.  I know you aren't stupid, so I conclude that you are biased, due to ignorance.  You can't base your views on the fact that you talked to a hippe once, who was nutty.  People do that to Christians, don't they?  I know more nutty republicans, do I conclude that all of them are hypocrits?

Libertarians believe in federal laws.  They just don't believe in the hundreds of thousands of federal laws, or the tens of thousands of federal laws that will be written this year.  The constitution is supposed to limit government, not the other way round.  If you think we need more federal laws, you have a screw loose. 

Arthur, evildoers should be punished, I agree.  That's why people go out and shoot abortion doctors, who perform a legal service.  Did you know that murder is not a federal crime?  It's up to the states to punish most crimes, unless they are a federal offense, like counterfeiting, or calling racial minorities names, or hurting homosexuals. 

Conceivably, in a Libertarian system, a state like Utah could make it illegal to be gay, and illegal to get an abortion.  That won't happen with republicans, because they need to pander too much.

Both of you guys are firmly rooted in your opinions, and I don't fault you for it.  However, if you examine the facts, and the success of the republicans, you can't tell me they've taken even a small step towards stopping abortion. 

In fact, can you name a single federal program they have cut spending on, or eliminated?  I can't, and the abortion industry is one of the ones that got more money last year. 

I don't like a guy who says one thing and does another.

Brent

« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 05:00:54 am by Brent A. Trockman » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: