AssemblyBoard
May 02, 2024, 08:27:20 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Events  (Read 104890 times)
bystander
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2006, 04:08:47 am »

Joe and Bystander,

Your posts are clever and amusing.  The results of dabbling in occultism all too frequently are not. 

As I said:
A simple question: Is teaching children that there is nothing wrong with evil a good thing?

Blesings,

Thomas Maddux

Well, I seem to have put my foot in my mouth.  I thought you were joking with your post, Tom.  I really did.  I should have used discretion before I jumped on the bandwagon.

I have read all the HP books, and have seen all three movies.  The world of Harry Potter is no more real than the world of Narnia.  Both involve "ordinary" children from our world having adventures in magical places. As has been pointed out, both include witches, demons, good and evil.

Rowling's definition of "evil" is far more fleshed out and clear in books three and onward, to the point where I find no objection to reading the books at all, other than the children that read them should clearly undertand that they are fiction, merely to be enjoyed as stories.  There are good moral lessons to be had in these books, but reasonable care should be taken for children who may get the wrong idea.

I suggest that parents read them first, and then use good judgement before letting their children read them.  Of course, the children will read them, the question is when and where.

I'd rather have my children read them in our home, and be around to talk with them about it should the need arise.

bystander
Elizabeth H

Email
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2006, 04:21:56 am »

Liz,

You said:
I do not doubt that she made up the spells and potiions.  I also do not doubt that she has a fabulous imagination.  As to whether or not she is being truthful about not having studied Occult practices, I do doubt that.  The reason is that her work contains dozens of allusions to Wiccan beliefs, artifacts, and practices, as well as their worldview.   I doubt that she could have come up with all that accidentally.
Seems to me that your cautious approach, (with which I agree), indicates that you share my concerns to some degree.  Wink

Blessings,

Thomas Maddux

Tom, I do share your concerns. I definitely see an important difference between CS Lewis & Tolkien's writings and the HP books. JK Rowlings takes "magic" a huge step further than Lewis or Tolkien ever did, particularly by specifically naming the magic in her books as witchcraft, wizardry etc. The magic in the L & T books is never called this (and not by chance, either)---the authors never intended for their magic to be mistaken as witchcraft.

Since the Bible is pretty clear that practicing witchcraft of any kind is forbidden, I will proceed cautiously in allowing my children to read HP.

I do think it's possible, however, for an older child to read the HP books and not become interested with the occult, just as a non-believer might read "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" and not convert to Christianity (or even pick up on the Christian symbolism).

It's not a matter of censorship. I think it's all about discernment. Parents need to know their children and also maintain an awareness of what their children are reading/seeing/listening to. This way they can maintain an intelligent dialogue with their children and through this teach them critical thinking skills.

E.
David Mauldin
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2006, 10:24:01 pm »

I  coordinated a H.P. club at my school with an attendence of 50-200 students. As a teacher, who sees the opportunity at hand, I couldn't resist taking advantage of the H.P. phenomenon! Recently I have become aware of the dozens of websites dedicated to the reading and discussion of the books! (Has anyone read "The Half-Blood Prince") And what discussions!!!  These kids are asking questions, predicting, hypothetically concluding, looking at the most minute details and even writing their own H.P. fiction! (Reminds me of the intensity of Bible Study in the Assembly.)  J.K. Rowlings has done a tremendous service to our generation. She has "magically" accomplished what teachers are paid to do! educate! Why?  Why are these books so relevant?  Look at the main character! He is not the typical vision quest hero but one that reflects the lives of so many in our generation. (I would love to discuss this with anyone who has read the books!)

Is magic real?   Did Mike Warnke really apperate as he wrote in his autobiography "The Satan seller?"  Did brother George really see the clouds split apart when he prayed?  I guess these are questions we should investigate and come to the best reasonable conclusions we can. But as far as these books are concerned I have read them over and over and have yet found myself able to do any magic!  Hope you enjoy them yourselves!   http://www.harrypotterspage.com
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 10:41:03 pm by David Mauldin » Logged
Margaret

Email
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2006, 11:06:35 pm »

I've read several of the HP books and enjoyed them a lot. One thing that stands out to me is how Rowland makes the magic itself very attractive. The artifacts--such as Harry's wand and his owl--are described in such sensory detail it makes you wish you had them. Not to mention his Nimbus Two Thousand broomstick! Then there is the comraderie and loyalty of the three friends, and how they are able to use the magic to help each other, and do good.  It's a very cool "inner ring."

C.S. Lewis describes how it was George MacDonald's books that led him toward Christianity by inspiring in him a love of goodness, an attraction. I think possibly the attraction of the inner ring of magical knowledge and accoutrements in the HP books might provide that kind of attraction. If a child's life is not filled with absorbing activities and relationships, might there then be a susceptibility to wiccan to fill the void? It also offers a cool inner ring with attractive accoutrements, like crystals.

The challenge probably lies in providing such a meaningful life for a child that magic, along with other escapes such as video games and drugs, don't have as much appeal. One element would be teaching them a love of reading way before they get to the HP age. And a love of real knowledge--science, art, languages, the Bible, etc. And good friends. Our son's oldest daughter is 8. She has a Gameboy, but after the first few weeks, she seldom plays with it because she would rather be drawing or learning about butterflies and dinosaurs or playing with her little sister.

In reply to Dave, I can see the usefulness of HP for public school teachers to motivate children to read. And it's great that you are also using them to teach the kids to think. I agree the HP books themselves aren't going to teach anyone magic.

--MI
mithrandir
« Reply #199 on: January 08, 2006, 05:43:18 am »

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books and don't know if I ever will.  Now, I know that that disqualifies me from offering any honest criticism of them.  But one thing I will say: the fact that we are even having this discussion at all shows a failure of Christian culture.  If there was more good Christian literature available, Christian parents would not have to wrestle with Harry Potter.  But aside from masterpieces written by authors now dead, the stuff now being sold in Christian bookstores is pure schlock.  It is theologically and technically trash.  If the people writing this stuff applied the same level of skill to such things as designing bridges and skyscrapers, flying airplanes or doing surgery, there would be a lot of dead people!  If Christians object to Harry Potter, then let some of us go to school to learn to write, and to write well.  Let us learn to create artistic masterpieces.  And let us learn to do it for free, as an offering to the Lord.  But don't go to Lifeway or Berean and peddle CBA-approved "Christian" schlock, and don't expect me to buy it simply because the name of Jesus is all over it.  Putting His name on this stuff is like spraying gold paint on cow chips.

Clarence Thompson
outdeep

Email
« Reply #200 on: January 08, 2006, 05:10:26 pm »

I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books and don't know if I ever will.  Now, I know that that disqualifies me from offering any honest criticism of them.  But one thing I will say: the fact that we are even having this discussion at all shows a failure of Christian culture.  If there was more good Christian literature available, Christian parents would not have to wrestle with Harry Potter.  But aside from masterpieces written by authors now dead, the stuff now being sold in Christian bookstores is pure schlock.  It is theologically and technically trash.  If the people writing this stuff applied the same level of skill to such things as designing bridges and skyscrapers, flying airplanes or doing surgery, there would be a lot of dead people!  If Christians object to Harry Potter, then let some of us go to school to learn to write, and to write well.  Let us learn to create artistic masterpieces.  And let us learn to do it for free, as an offering to the Lord.  But don't go to Lifeway or Berean and peddle CBA-approved "Christian" schlock, and don't expect me to buy it simply because the name of Jesus is all over it.  Putting His name on this stuff is like spraying gold paint on cow chips.

Clarence Thompson
Yeah.  I often maintained that one should study HP (and other good literature) and then build something better.  But, it seems that the best we can come up with is the Prayer of Jabez Coffee Commuter MugSad
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2006, 10:06:49 am »

Maybe we won't have to worry about Bird Flu now. This may get us first.  Grin

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/50033.html
summer007

Email
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2006, 01:41:08 am »

Tonite Paula Zahn is having some really excited Evangelicals on at 5:00 pac and 8:00 est her show is on CNN. The show will discuss Isreal, the Apocolypse and the end of the world. It is interesting alot of the fighting going on is near Megeddo.
moonflower2

Email
« Reply #203 on: August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm »

The space shuttle landed safely this morning.
Christine
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2007, 03:43:12 am »

Recently Childrens cold medicines were pulled from the shelves at the local grocery stores.

Soon my daughter will be two and during that time

we have had one stuffed rabbit recalled(by the way we kept it because if I cant rip the nose off she cant either)

One crib recalled(and I am not making light of this one) Our crib turned out to be fine but was on the list of recalled cribs.

and now the infant cold medicine.(and now she cant take it until age 6)

and we can count my laptop computer's battery was recalled too
Just dont make things the way they used to....

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:12:24 am by Christine » Logged
Christine
« Reply #205 on: October 30, 2007, 07:51:32 am »

The Boston Red Sox easily won the World Series. Talk about bad timing the rockies won 21 out of 22 at one point. then a week later lose 4 in a row Shocked
Mark C.

Email
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2007, 08:43:26 pm »

Hi Christine,

Serves those Rockies right for beating my Padres! Wink

Wait till next year!

God Bless,  Mark C.
Margaret

Email
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2008, 01:32:43 am »

Tech support where Steve works sent out an email alert today, "Fraudulent Grand Jury Summons Containing Malware" http://www.geftakysassembly.com/Articles/NewDirections/FraudulentSummons.htm

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: