AssemblyBoard
April 26, 2024, 05:46:52 pm *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Emptied Himself?  (Read 50026 times)
Oscar

Email
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2005, 09:28:45 pm »

Dave,

Thank yu fur yur advize abot editin,

I wil tak it tu hart:

Tomus Madddix
outdeep

Email
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2005, 10:25:59 pm »

Dave,

I wil tak it tu hart:

Tomus Madddix
Tom,

You remind me of a time I took one of my first college classes - English 100.

On the first day of class, the teacher wanted a sample of the student's writing.  I was with a group of friends and I thought it would be funny to turn something in with every word misspelled.  Ha ha.  Big laughs.

At the next class, the teacher had a list of names of folks she wanted to chat with at break.  My name was on this list.  It didn't take my steel-trap brain long to figure out what I should have figured out the week before - she was about to refer us to dumbbell English.

I quickly wrote a new paragraph and gave it to her with the lame excuse, "I wrote an essay with every word misspelled as a joke and I think I accidentally turned in the wrong one.  Here is the real one.  Ha ha...."

She gave me the "I don't believe a word you are saying but I'll let it slide don't let it happen again" look and I scurried back to my seat.

On my wall in my office cube I have a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon where Calvin, after an ill fated attempt to catch a water balloon, says, "How can something seem so plausible at the time and so idiotic in retrospect?"

-Dave
editor
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2005, 10:55:41 pm »

Dave,

I wil tak it tu hart:

Tomus Madddix

The really sad thing is is that I do edit and often can't do any better with a few sentences at times short of laboring over it for long periods of time - so I slap it on the butt and send it out, so to speak.

I didn't pursue academics to the extent that many of you have.  I guess we could compare Real Estate knowledge and investments, etc. and see how well we measure up.  I only say that because it seems that there is an arrogance behind this post in particular.

I bought my first rental property when I was 22 and been buying ever since and built up a very nice portfolio.  Who else has done that here?  That kind of stuff doesn't tend to come out when we are measuring writing skills.  There are other skills that are very important.  You folks have intimidated people long enough re. lack of writing skills, IMO.  People are terrified of being humiliated on this board due to poor writing skills.  I already died to all of that.  No brag.  Just have.  I am not humiliated by my deficiencies and I try my best to improve.

As I mentioned I do edit my posts and I do a spell check faithfully.  Beyond that the reader, if he wants to read, will need to bear with the writer.  Otherwise, do what you have learned to do in cases of incompatibility - live your life and exclude the parts that don't work for you.

I just can't stand the "big guy on campus" types.   Not everyone has a Ph. D.  I have very many friends who have impressive credentials and higher formal education.  I have a brother who is a Ph. D. and a sister who has two Master's degrees.  I have quite a few friends like this who respect my education and love to share spiritual insights with me.  This is maturity, IMO.

I believe the above quoted post is the equivalent of referencing "pinheads."  Pinheads are people who make fun of others of lesser education.  They tend to think they know almost everything or at least something about everything.  I have sold many of these types houses back when I sold Real Estate....and if I wanted to I could talk about some of the incredible density some of these folks tend to have.  But I don't think it is to their shame and so I don't taunt privately.  I do label people "Pinheads" when they act superior and hurt others by doing so.

I forgive you, Tom, but I really think you need to change your pompous attitude and make some things right that have been glaring for a long time over here.   I will anticipate a disclaimer that you weren't referring to my posts.  But that is what Dave is talking about so that excuse simply doesn't work.

Sondra Jamison

Hebrews 11:32-40
32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: 33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 34 Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. 35 Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: 36 And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: 37 They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; 38 (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. 39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: 40 God having provided  some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

I am quite sure that Tom was merely joking, using humor, and trying to lighten the mood.  I don't detect an ounce of arrogance in that post, but I'm open to hearing how you detected it.

As for the verse you quoted, what did you mean to imply by the bold portion?

Brent
outdeep

Email
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2005, 11:22:43 pm »

Dave,

I wil tak it tu hart:

Tomus Madddix

The really sad thing is is that I do edit and often can't do any better with a few sentences at times short of laboring over it for long periods of time - so I slap it on the butt and send it out, so to speak.

I didn't pursue academics to the extent that many of you have.  I guess we could compare Real Estate knowledge and investments, etc. and see how well we measure up.  I only say that because it seems that there is an arrogance behind this post in particular.

I bought my first rental property when I was 22 and been buying ever since and built up a very nice portfolio.  Who else has done that here?  That kind of stuff doesn't tend to come out when we are measuring writing skills.  There are other skills that are very important.  You folks have intimidated people long enough re. lack of writing skills, IMO.  People are terrified of being humiliated on this board due to poor writing skills.  I already died to all of that.  No brag.  Just have.  I am not humiliated by my deficiencies and I try my best to improve.

As I mentioned I do edit my posts and I do a spell check faithfully.  Beyond that the reader, if he wants to read, will need to bear with the writer.  Otherwise, do what you have learned to do in cases of incompatibility - live your life and exclude the parts that don't work for you.

I just can't stand the "big guy on campus" types.   Not everyone has a Ph. D.  I have very many friends who have impressive credentials and higher formal education.  I have a brother who is a Ph. D. and a sister who has two Master's degrees.  I have quite a few friends like this who respect my education and love to share spiritual insights with me.  This is maturity, IMO.

I believe the above quoted post is the equivalent of referencing "pinheads."  Pinheads are people who make fun of others of lesser education.  They tend to think they know almost everything or at least something about everything.  I have sold many of these types houses back when I sold Real Estate....and if I wanted to I could talk about some of the incredible density some of these folks tend to have.  But I don't think it is to their shame and so I don't taunt privately.  I do label people "Pinheads" when they act superior and hurt others by doing so.

I forgive you, Tom, but I really think you need to change your pompous attitude and make some things right that have been glaring for a long time over here.   I will anticipate a disclaimer that you weren't referring to my posts.  But that is what Dave is talking about so that excuse simply doesn't work.

Sondra Jamison

Sondra,

Tom addressed me in his post.  He was poking fun at my discourse on editing perhaps because my post ran the risk of being a bit santimonious.  Or perhaps to just interject some ironic humor.

I took it all in fun because Tom and I are friends.

Don't make it all about you.

-Dave
editor
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2005, 11:34:37 pm »

That's called mocking/chiding when someone does that type of thing.  It's "high school Harry" stuff.  Whether he is aware of it or not, whether he intended to hurt people or not....

I've heard many comments from people about their fear to post here because of this very type of ridicule and fussiness over grammer.  It hurts people and I, for one, will not "sit here in this meeting and act like George is  NOT saying something hatefu, arrogant and cruel" to use an analogy.  Can anybody relate to that analogy?  I don't believe Tom is like GG.  I am talking about speaking up and not just laying down like a rug to be walked on.

sj

p.s.  Didn't edit or do spell check. :O)  Gotta run.

OK, if Tom is saying hateful things, by all means call him on it.

However, I think most people are going to have diffuculty linking arrogance and hateful speech to the post you quoted.  I certainly don't see it.

As for people being afraid to post here, well, that's too bad, really.  You were able to post, and plenty of others do too.  

That doesn't mean that someone won't disagree with them, or challenge their views.  If people are afraid to stand up for what they believe, and they believe something that goes against what many of the people on the board believe, they should be prepared to defend their views.

I thought this was all about Verne?  

Love, Grace, forgiveness, kindness, that's the stuff we need to concentrate on.

Love is not rude, among other things.

I really don't think Tom was being rude at all, not even a little.  I can't imagine you have any history with him that needs to be aired out?

Anyhow, you are certainly free to express your opinions about the problems we have here.  You may get responses at times, and it could be that some people don't agree with you.

That's all part of the BB experience!

Brent
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 11:35:52 pm by Brent A. Trockman » Logged
editor
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2005, 12:00:50 am »

Dave,

I wil tak it tu hart:

Tomus Madddix

Sondra Jamison

Sondra,

Tom addressed me in his post.  He was poking fun at my discourse on editing perhaps because my post ran the risk of being a bit santimonious.  Or perhaps to just interject some ironic humor.

I took it all in fun because Tom and I are friends.

Don't make it all about you.

-Dave

You are not being honest here, Dave, just as Joe was not being honest re. Patriots vs. Eagles.  You and others were talking about editing, etc. within the context of my writing abilities or lack thereof.   While I can appreciate the practical suggestions, I think it is incredibly insensitive and at a sensitive time and given that I am a guest on your board to do "hillbilly" accents.

Keeping things lighthearted over here seems to be costly for others not to mention dishonest.  

The reply post that I didn't post so as to give Joe some "face saving."  I thought, "just let it go - not that big of a deal."  But now I will post it since this pattern of using the excuse - "Was I not jesting." is apparent.  It's not altogether dishonest, but just enough that it is dishonest enough to hurt people.....

This is unedited - don't have the time to finish it.  Gotta run.

Sondra

Hi Joe,

I understand how I should let this go, and any other day, I would.  But today is not your lucky day....and may not be mine either.  (Clint Eastwood, Dirty Harry).  So I ask myself, "Do I feel lucky?"   Cheesy

Now, dear Joe - I really have to operate in truth here.  I like getting things "lighthearted" but not at the expense of another.  The hidden message is not as you represented.  

The history is laid out below.

First post was the very day that Brent swooped into SWTE challenging me that my teachings sounded exactly like that of Mormonism.  He posted the link to SWTE on AB....the one you mention in your post.  The message then, like the one today, was a hidden one re. who would win that battle or "game."  Ok.  I sort of laughed - no big deal...but I did get it especially when Verne responded that the spread was no 10 rather 13.  (2nd post below).  I got the significance there too.  I had just posted about the idea of studying "three's" of things in terms of "typology" on SWTE.  So, ok.  No problem.  It was quite perceptive on Verne's part and as is true with a lot of humor - the timing was good.

Oops. I clicked on the hyperlink without reading what it was about. I didn't realize SWTE was still there. I haven't visited there in a long, long time.

How 'bout those Patriots? I bet they take the Eagles by 10 points.

--Joe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oops. I clicked on the hyperlink without reading what it was about. I didn't realize SWTE was still there. I haven't visited there in a long, long time.

How 'bout those Patriots? I bet they take the Eagles by 10 points.

--Joe

Thirteen!  Grin
Verne

Then this post today referencing "the competition"--

Your comment, "As for the recent set of posts on this thread and Ruth's comments and their importance I
would just add this:"    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verne---

Thanks for your post. You and I had one long discussion regarding election and predestination, with both of us on opposite sides of the court, and were able to "joust" a bit without it ever becoming personal.

I've always enjoyed your posts, and enjoyed your opinions here. As for the recent set of posts on this thread and Ruth's comments and their importance I
would just add this:

How 'bout those Patriots? I was really pulling for the Eagles, but the Patriots pulled it off once more. They truly are one heck of a team.

--Joe

Sondra---

Sorry if you misunderstood. I didn't mean to infer that
it was like a competition. What I was doing was the
old change of subject: "how bout them Patriots?"

When a subject gets uncomfortable, or a bit stretched
beyond where it should be, to quickly change the subject someone might say "How bout them Yankees?"(or whatever team they like). What I meant is "this subject has gone about as far as it needs to go--how bout them Patriots?"  So again, my apologies if you misread it.

sincerely, Joe

Sondra,

I am certain that you are reading way too much into this.  I definitely can't begin to see the hidden motives you are talking about.

If you think this was all a game, you are sadly mistaken.  I considered you to be totally sincere about all of this.  Do you really think we are all in collusion to play a game over this?

I can assure you we are not, at least if the "we" includes me.

Don't you need a little more to go on before telling someone they are not being truthfull than  a quip about the Eagles and Patriots?

I really like it when you forgave Verne, that was cool.  But do you really think that there is a hidden motive here.

Brent
M2
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2005, 12:36:20 am »

I actually have been trying to edit this post but got kicked off 4 times.  This was the message that came up -

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /usr/www/users/ai/briantucker.net/bb/index.php on line 50
Too many connections

I got the same message.  Maybe it is a subtle hint eh??  (That was a joke)

Sondra, I think you are a close relative of soontouchy.

Marcia

Sometimes sarcasm can be humorous and can highlight a point in an effective way. When respectful that can be acceptable. You and I have both used it.

Then there is the belittling and the berating and the mocking, that cuts very deep. When you get a mob together they will do things that individually they would never do. That is not real courage. Back on the farm there was frequently a little chick that the rest would peck until it was dead. If you isolated that chick with one or two they would not bother it. In the mass they all jumped into the fray.

That’s like the AB. There have been many that have registered and wanted to connect with assembly acquaintances. Once on and say something that did not portray the hatred that the prominent posters had, they were ridiculed and mocked and intimidated until they left.

That is similar to what Sondra got the last couple of days. Who there came to her defense? Maybe the AB doesn't agree with her theology, maybe they don't agree with her unwillingness to condemn assembly leadership and that is fine. But who came to her defense when she was seeking justice? I say justice, not revenge. What godly man said, "Gents, she has been mistreated in the past and we don't agree with that.”? What godly man was willing to stick out his neck and say that is enough?

You did Brent. My opinion of you rose greatly, though that may not mean much to you. You were the only one that said Sondra has been mistreated and that things need to be made right. ...

Bob,

It looks like we agree that someone should speak up for the wounded ones who are seeking justice.  What godly man/woman will stand up and say "Gents (LBs, LBWs, workers, geftakysServants), he/she has been  mistreated in the past and we don't agree with that.”? What godly man/woman is willing to stick out his/her neck and say that is enough?

God bless,
Marcia
editor
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2005, 12:54:34 am »

No, I specificly addressed Joe.  His point was about pitting one team against another.  It is obvious.  That spirit has been here since the outset of SWTE...putting us down and acting like the "big guys on campus" ...Snoring with the Eagles, etc.

JS's post is clear.  Verne got it and responded in kind.  I thought it was hilarious, but I did get the message from JP re. competition between the boards and that you were going to "whip me."

Several of you did that "hillbilly" thing when I first posted on AB.  Look it up.  

"Was I not jesting?" is written in the scripture to speak to people who do this.  Otherwise, what is the meaning?  Sincere question.

sj

p.s.  Need to go measure a kitchen.

Well,

If people were looking at all of this as entertainment, I think it's wrong.

On the other hand, I don't think we should assume bad motive based on a post like Joe's.  You could have asked him what he meant about it first.

No one is making fun of you here.  At the same time, I think that plenty of your views will meet with opposition here.  That's to be expected, and is quite healthy and normal.

In all fairness, neither AB or SWTE have a "no mocking" rule.  I have enjoyed many a laugh reading the "Spriritual Veterans Club Breakfast," that Matt does.  

Public speaking and sharing of ideas makes us  public figures.  Public figures are targets, and that's just the way it is.

I'll make you a deal.

If you NEVER, EVER mock anyone on your website, I promise to do the same here.

Having said all that, I still think that you're totally overreacting to Joe's post, the malice just isn't there.

Let's try to get a fresh start, shall we?  Don't let the years you endured under Verne's abusive speech cause you to become bitter.  Let's begin again, with goodwill towards one another.

Brent
M2
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2005, 12:55:51 am »

Sondra, I think you are a close relative of soontouchy.

Marcia

Then, that would make you my second cousin, Soonspeaky, Marcia.  Shocked)

sj

touche.  (smilie)

that one has left me speechless.
Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2005, 12:58:58 am »

Sondra----

Again, my statement was in pure humor--it was not pointing at "competition"--it was saying that the whole
argument is so useless let's change the whole subject.

I can't believe you haven't heard someone say that before. Two people are arguing and in an attempt to diffuse it someone else says "How 'bout those Yankees?"

There's a place in "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" where John Candy and Steve Martin have to share the same bed. They wake up wrapped up in one another's arms and both jump out of bed nervously. John Candy says "How 'bout them Bears?" in an effort to show his masculinity and diffuse the situation. It's a very funny scene. When I see you continue to state that I meant some sort of "competition" I am amazed, because the whole thing is so obvious. It would take some digging,
but I have chimed in with something like that several times on the BB when a spirited debate is going on like"How 'bout those RED SOX?" or something to that effect. It's not to pick out anyone personally, but to state something so far from the current conversation or "argument" that's it's almost ridiculous--sometimes causing people to slack off a bit and laugh at themselves.
Sorry if you refuse to see it that way and want to read far more into than that. I hold no animosity towards you and haven't visited SWTE in ages(accpet by mistake when I clicked on a hyperlink), so I have no reason to want to start a fight, or joust with you at all. I'd rather talk about football.

--Joe

« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 08:45:01 pm by Joe Sperling » Logged
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2005, 01:53:25 am »

Joe,

I believe you when you say that you were merely suggesting a change of subject, but there is a problem even with that.  Such a suggestion impies that what Sondra has to say is not welcome here.

Proverbs 26:17
He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.
M2
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2005, 02:09:19 am »

Joe,

I believe you when you say that you were merely suggesting a change of subject, but there is a problem even with that.  Such a suggestion impies that what Sondra has to say is not welcome here.

He that passeth by, and meddleth with strife belonging not to him, is like one that taketh a dog by the ears.

Interesting observation Stephen.
Joe has clearly told us his motives for his original post, and I personally do not have any reason to doubt him.  Joe has often helped to use to humor to ease the tension in the midst of heated discussions.  I would hate to see him silenced just because of a silly coincidence with the name of a football team and the SWTE site.  And even if he was referring to some competive state between the 2 sites, what of it?

Blessings,
Marcia
Joe Sperling

Email
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2005, 02:14:44 am »

Stephen---

That really isn't true. I saw posts going back and forth in an endless manner and threw a little humor into the fray. Sondra is welcome to say whatever she wants to say. I think this is all a case of taking everything far too personally. Someone mentioned editing, and she immediately thought she was being referred to. I throw in a joke about "How 'bout them Patriots" and she immediately thinks I'm referring to her personally, and referring to their discussion as a "contest" of some kind.
Often in my life I have seen humor diffuse an argument, or cause those involved to halt for a moment, and not take themselves so seriously(I need this often myself, that's for sure).

As I mentioned, I have used that statement before, when an argument starts to get out of hand a bit. I have said "How 'bout them RED SOX?" not to imply someone is not welcome, but to throw some humor or lightheartedness into the argument. But when someone thinks that everything revolves around themselves, they naturally see all comments as "attacks" or "comments" about themselves, rather than seeing they were made about someone else, or simply made in humor. I see this pattern as I read the long posts made below. I wasn't attempting to "meddle with strife that's not my own", but to help diffuse it a bit if possible--If I wanted to meddle I could have said a lot more than mention a football game.

But, in an effort to help keep the peace, and avoid any more misunderstanding, I will stay off of this thread and pursue the inane, ridiculous and sarcastic euphemisms(lol) I enjoy so much in other areas. And I'm going to talk a lot about football too. Smiley

--Joe
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 02:29:52 am by Joe Sperling » Logged
outdeep

Email
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2005, 02:25:45 am »

Joe,

I wonder of Sondra is going to take this to mean you are calling her a dog.  Maybe we should all put on our WWST? wristbands.
sfortescue

Email
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2005, 03:07:51 am »

Stephen---

That really isn't true. I saw posts going back and forth in an endless manner and threw a little humor into the fray.

You've misunderstood what I said.  My use of the word "implies" was not intended to ascribe motive but rather perception.

Often in my life I have seen humor diffuse an argument, or cause those involved to halt for a moment, and not take themselves so seriously(I need this often myself, that's for sure).

This may be true in a more balanced conflict, but when the conflict is very one-sided, you are considered part of the majority by default.

A story of something that happened to me in junior high school illustrates this.  A petition was being passed among the students in a class for the impeachment of the teacher.  Of course, I didn't want to sign such a petion, so I signed it with the name Mr. Magoo, since he was known for not knowing what he's doing or where he's going.  Someone else did a forgery of my name on the petion, so I got into trouble along with the rest of the class.  In fact, the joke signature wasn't even recognized for its implied meaning because others signed the names of a lot of other cartoon characters as well.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: