AssemblyBoard
April 25, 2024, 05:24:39 am *
The board has been closed to new content. It is available as a searchable archive only. This information will remain available indefinitely.

I can be reached at brian@tucker.name

For a repository of informational articles and current information on The Assembly, see http://www.geftakysassembly.com

Home   Search  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chat Room  (Read 9567 times)
brian

Email
« on: January 15, 2003, 06:04:34 am »

i have added a chatroom to the board. play with it and let me know of any technical problems or abuses.

let the mayhem commence.  Smiley
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 06:19:07 am »

Long live mayhem, thanks for the chat board Brian, this is going to open up dialog a lot more.

Lord Bless,
G
karensanford

Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 07:34:26 am »

OK...I am most likely missing something here, but how do I get into the chat room? Huh

Update: OK, now I see the icon that says "Chat" right between profile and notifications.  For all the rest of you who didn't see it either, it's right below the blue bar above that contains the AKA's for the Assembly.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2003, 07:36:10 am by Karen Sanford » Logged
brian

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 01:04:45 pm »

us admins have put our heads together and decided to handle the chat idea differently. chatting is very different than posting on a bb, and is perhaps not for the average consumer. a word of caution: never trust things you hear in a chat room without outside verification. in chat rooms people say whatever they want, and it is very difficult to regulate. so, rather than start up a super-charged rumor engine in our midst, we are going to take the chat room off of this website. when i get some more time, i will set up a chat room on my server, completely separate from this website. i want to set it up because chatting can be loads of fun. but a word to the wise: when chatting gets ugly, it gets ugly fast (in real-time), so chat at your own risk. and don't tell someone secrets in a chat unless you carefully verify who they really are first. when i get the chat room set up on my server, i will post a link to it here. until then, let the kinder, gentler mayhem of posting on the bb suffice.
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 06:39:30 pm »

Brain, thanks for the warning, and I still can't wait to talk to other in real time just for old time sake.

G
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 09:11:12 pm »

I can't find any "chat" icon...whatzup?
Kimberley Tobin
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 09:15:21 pm »

The editor threatened last night to take the chat room away.  BOO HOO Cry

Garth, Eric, Tim S., Greg and a host of others and I were having a grand time last night (mostly funny).

Bring back the chat, bring back the chat, bring back the chat! Wink
Eulaha L. Long

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2003, 09:18:36 pm »

So...am I corret in saying that the chat room is no longer here?  I still can't find the "chat" icon...BOO HOO!! Huh
brian

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 09:57:18 pm »

ok, so here's the deal:

i want to put up a chat room for eveyone. but the only way to moderate a chat room is to be in it, and neither brent nor i have that kind of time. so there is a decent chance that people will abuse the chat room to say inappropriate things or harass people. so here is our compromise:

i have set up a chat room on my server. it is unaffiliated with this website, and that is official. i am just doing this because i think it would be a lot of fun. however, i have tied the logins to the chat board on my server to the logins here, so you will use the same username and password when you login there that you use here. so to use this mysterious magical chatroom follow the following link:

http://www.briantucker.net/chatboard/bb

you should bookmark this link so you can find it easily in the future if you like to chat. when you enter the chatroom it will ask to install a little piece of software. click 'ok' (it is just java). a few things you should note: you should click on all the little buttons at the top of the screen to see what they do. one of them lets you password protect your username in the chatroom. this will insure that noone is able to impersonate you. i want you all to stick to the username you are automatically assigned when you enter the chatroom. if i see someone with a custom username, i may just boot them, or i may ask that they identify themselves. any hesitation in indentifying themselves will get them booted.

this chatroom is pretty cool. it has all kinds of options, sounds, private chats, etc. have fun with it, do not abuse it, and it will be a great thing. if someone is abusing it, let me know immediately!

so follow the above link and let me know if something dosen't work right. i'm always glad to help.

brian
Peacefulg

Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 10:17:40 pm »

Yeah Brian, you da man!

G
ptemplin7

Email
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 11:19:41 pm »

Thanks Brian,

Good idea to seperate it as well. Keep up the good work.

Paris
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: